Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement Speaker

Silvercrow

Hey All! I love my Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Think of a DRRI that breaks up slightly earlier, has the first channel modded to sound 'tweed', has reverb and vibrato on both channels.

The speaker thats in it is rated at 75 watts, 1x12 Celestion chinese model. It pretty good, but at louder volumes / overdrive the bottom end farts out and gets "flabby". (Similar to me, in my older age...)The highs can get slightly spiky but are controllable. Bottom end= [thumbdn]

So, what would be a good reccommendation for a speaker with tighter bottom end?

A previous DRRI I had came with a Jensen as I recall- do not remember the model. It was good but I'm sure there are better.

Ideally budget should be around $150.00 +/-. Would prefer a US made or UK made speaker.

Thanks for any suggestions, enlightenment, direction...

Brian

Hey All! I love my Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Think of a DRRI that breaks up slightly earlier, has the first channel modded to sound 'tweed', has reverb and vibrato on both channels.

The speaker thats in it is rated at 75 watts, 1x12 Celestion chinese model. It pretty good, but at louder volumes / overdrive the bottom end farts out and gets "flabby". (Similar to me, in my older age...)The highs can get slightly spiky but are controllable. Bottom end= [thumbdn]

So, what would be a good reccommendation for a speaker with tighter bottom end?

A previous DRRI I had came with a Jensen as I recall- do not remember the model. It was good but I'm sure there are better.

Ideally budget should be around $150.00 +/-. Would prefer a US made or UK made speaker.

Thanks for any suggestions, enlightenment, direction...

Brian

Check out Austin Speaker Works. I have their Peacemaker in my amp and it is incredible.

Very good speakers...see if they have something in your price range.....

https://www.austinspeakerworks.com/home.php

I also go to the gear page and some very knowledgeable people over there also....

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

GREAT! Thanks you guys!

Had not heard of Austin speaker works- will check them out! I'll be looking into the Jensens too! Thanks for the reccommend on light dope- never know what to go with as I do not completely understand doping.

And as far as the Webers- my former Ben Fargen Blackbird (20 watt Deluxe clone) had a Weber ceramic blue dog, 70 watts I believe. The Webers are fine speakers for a very resonable price IMO.

Brian

Archived