Gibson Brands Forums

Lp studio tuning problem

My sons lp studio deluxe circa 2012 with chrome Grover tuners is always coming out of tune and we are looking to change tuners. He's working on a lot of bends and the Grovers are not cutting it. What would be a top notch alternative to the Grovers or should we just try a new set? Any help is appreciated.

My sons lp studio deluxe circa 2012 with chrome Grover tuners is always coming out of tune and we are looking to change tuners. He's working on a lot of bends and the Grovers are not cutting it. What would be a top notch alternative to the Grovers or should we just try a new set? Any help is appreciated.

I would look at the nut slots for pinching or binding..

Sometimes just lubricating the slots with a sharp graphite pencil will do the trick..

Grovers are very good tuners IMO, Just put a set on my Sons Blueshawk BTW = NICE!!

You might also check the tuners nuts for tightness + screws when the strings are changed next, don't crank them down, just snug em up or the lacquer around each tuner will crack & look like [scared] They vibrate loose over time..

Also try an get 3 wraps around the posts & 4-5 on the unwound strings when they're changed..

Good Luck!

Grover Tuners 2006 Blueshawk

7b18e7d4-7704-476b-a2fb-a10c30073805.jpg

Thanks for the reply. We've already tightened the tuner screws and it seemed to help a little, I may take it down to GC to have them look at the nut. The tuners look really nice but if I keep fighting with them I will be looking to replace. Good tip on the string wraps, ill make sure I get plenty of wraps around the posts. I've also tried pulling on the strings lightly as I install to reduce stretch after install.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes... nut issues can be a real problem if they arnt cut properly... if the slots are too deep the strings will bind...

Also with string wrapping around posts... I tend to do no more than 3 because again too many string wraps and this could cause tuning issues..

What I tend to do is do one on top of the string and then the second one at the bottom which clamps the string in place.. like this (the top middle one is perfect)

DSC_0748_zpsc6a9f474.jpg

As for the nut it should look like this so the string is like half in and half out (ish)

DSC_1349_zpsn1u5aro8.jpg

148260cb-4758-4873-84e1-94731e9b8a39_zpsbpaphxog.jpg

Archived