Gibson Brands Forums

Finally graduated to Gibson..Thoughts on my SG

norcalpiper

Hi all-

Glad to be here as I FINALLY got my first Gibson. My story starts 20 years ago as a Sitar player, which I took up in my late teens. I passed the gimmik phase and ended up studying and performing seriously up until a gentic form of arthritis attacked my right index and middle finger phlanges. To play sitar, you absolutely have to have use of your index finger for stroke patterns. The pain became unbearable, and I had to hang up my Hiren Roy (The 59 Gibson of Sitars).

I had fiddled with guitar my whole life, but never took a lesson or was serious. I decided a year ago to buy that Slash Special 2 intro epiphone LP to see if I could switch instruments without pain issues. I worked lessons for a month with no issues, and I was all of amsudden 18 again. I couldn't wait to get up in the morning and plug in......you all know what I'm talking about.

As a performer, I know the importance of a top notch instruments, but I wanted to choose a model that suited me. I bouht an EPI Lp tradional pro and an EPI Sg 400 Pro and began to work both as hard as I could. Both sounded good, but the SG was neck heavy. More trouble to play standing up than its worth. I played both for 8 months and was finally ready to grade up.

I tried a lot of Guitars at Guitar center, but couldn't land a decision. I was leaning towards a Les Paul Less that sounded the best outta the bunch, but felt I should try more before I laid down the $. A crazy chance brought me into a deal I couldn't refuse for a new 2013 SG 60's tribute with ETUNE. I was super hesitant as my EPI was so neck heavy.

Immediately I was pleased with the body, weight, finish, and balance. Even the fragrance was great. The cons were it wasn't set up, so playing and using the etune was useless. I took it to the luthier who did his best, but could not intonate the G string properly. The Etune worked fine, but i was constantly going out of tune and using it. It was becoming annoying and I had lost hope on this as a real player.

I chose a master luthier of notable rep and cost and he completely saved my SG. He removed the etune, put a tusq bridge, did the fret level, polish. Bottom line, I got a Gibson that I was dreaming for. It is amsheer joy to play, it holds its tune forever, and the sound is incredible...more than incredible.

Playing is beyond a joy, and I am now looking forward to my next SG (Yep, I've got the bug). I am not thrilled, however, with Gibson quality control. I'm hoping the 2016 models will have the option for manual tuning systems as well as the Gforce. Anyway...glad to be amongst SG bretheren!!

post-73095-030376000 1437157372_thumb.jpg

Thanks all-

I actually have something cooler than a pock of my Hiren Roy Sitar. This is a small clip of my playing my Bass Sitar. Yep-you heard it right. The bass Sitar is called a....ready...."Surbahar".

Anyway, this is me doing my morning practice with my newborn daughter on my lap. The Surbahar is much deeper than the Sitar, but its a majestic instrument.

HI norcalpiper,

Glad you got the SG into a usable condition. I cant understand why you'd want another though (so soon too).

The bass sitar is fabulous. You must have been devastated when you had to give it up.

Glad you are exited about guitars now anyway. Welcome and good luck.

Archived