Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on GA60-RV Super Goldtone

GoldtoneBennett

Hello GIBSONFORUM!

This is my first post, very excited to have found this place. I've been reading the forums for a little while now and so happy to get to speak to you knowledgeable people.

I just purchased a used GA60-RV (I first heard this amp when I was 16 and waited 13 years to purchase)

For practicing in my home it's amazing, I get all the tones I could want, but I had an issue when cranking it and playing with my band.

It seems the clean channel only stays clean up to 5 on the master and 2-3 on the clean volume, I can't seem to get this thing to play clean at even 1/2 power of 30 watts.

Like I said it is used, and I haven't checked the Bias on it yet, the previous owner said he had it retubed last fall, and it has the stock size tubes in it.

What has been your experience with this amp? Are you able to crank it on the clean and keep it clean before it breaks up? For $1000 I would have hoped this thing had more headroom.

Any feedback is great on your experience with these guys.

Thank you in advance! And Happy Saturday.

I don't have any experience with that particular amp but here's a couple things you might try.

Here's the manual -

http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/Super_Goldtone_Manual_2002.pdf

Exercise all the pots, switches, plugs, etc. to make sure it's not just a bad connection.

Assuming you're operating it properly, it's most likely a tube issue. There's lots of tubes and if the "weakest link" goes bad, the whole thing will sound bad.

It has a bunch of preamp tubes - (5) 12AX7's and (2) 12AT7's. First, make sure each preamp tube socket has the correct type of tube in there. A bad preamp tube or tubes might very well be causing the low volume. With the amp on, tap each preamp tube with a pencil eraser and wiggle it a little and see if any of them make any funny noises or cut in or out when you tap them. If so, that tube might be bad - try replacing it with a new one and see what happens. You'll need some 12AX7's and 12aT7's. If you don't have any, get at least a couple 12AX7's and at least one 12AT7. Try replacing the preamp tubes one at a time and see if you can notice any difference in the volume. If replacing the tube doesn't make any difference, stick the old one back in and go to the next tube. Keep the half power switch on full power. Check it on both channels with each tube swap.

If all the preamp tubes seem to be good, then check the power tubes. Check the type of power tubes and refer to the manual for the correct bias setting. Tap and wiggle each tube to see if it cuts in and out or goes up and down in volume. If so, the tube is probably bad. Check the bias if the tubes seem good and if you can get it set properly. Check the volume of the amp as you're doing all of this. Check the half power switch to make sure it seems to be working.

Try that and report back and we'll try to get it figured out. [thumbup]

Okay, I took it apart and guess what I found, a bad power tube.

Just popped in some new 6l6's and this thing is crystal clear, i can't crank it at my house so I cant tell what it will sound like at full volume, but I can tell it's leaps amd bounds better than before.

I still would love to hear anyones opinions on the tones and experience with this amp if there is anyone here that owns them :)

Thank you for all the info BadBlues!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a friend of mine bought one of these after he checked out my GA30RVS.

It's a helluvah lot of amp as is the GA30RVS. too bad Gibson gave up on these..

Glad the tube swap fixed your issue.

Agreed.

I heard that there were 3 guys that built the Gibson Goldtone amps under the Gibson Labs name. They have all moved on.

I wish Gibson would get back into the amp biz. I know there's a lot of competition out there in the amp world, but a few reissues would be worth a try, I think.

The only Gibson amp I own is the lil Goldtone Les Paul 5 watter. I use this amp quite a bit, or a Fender Princeton Reissue.

The Gibson Goldtones originally came from when Gibson bought Trace Elliot.

They were derived from the Trace Elliot Vellocette amps.

they were originally made in England but I think the later models may have been made in the US under contract for Gibson.

Gibson made some cosmetic changes on the amps, and eventually introduced a few other models, such as the one that you mention (5 watt combo)

the other amps you refer to "Gibson Labs" i think were the solid state amps that were around in the 80s. one of them from what I recall was a 2 speaker Stereo version.

These are all kind of rare these days. And even these were built under contract for Gibson, or so I seem to recall..

here's an old brochure link of the goldtone line up.

http://archive.gibson.com/Files/downloads/PDFs/GoldTone/GoldtoneCatalog.pdf

Mine looks just like the GA30RVS pictured. This was the second generation of these amps, (made in UK as well) The earlier ones (1st gen) were lighter brown covering and the cabinetry was angled not straight.

That amp is a tone machine, but good lord, you don't want to move it. (90lbs)

My buddy still has his GA60RVS too. Awesome stuff.

Archived