Gibson Brands Forums

please help identify gibson

my father left me this guitar all I know he used to rave about and only get it out on special occasions I can not find any serial numbers inside or any where except on the top of head it has the number 8 on it as per photo and a repair sticker inside by hewitts fiddle shop date 22/05/1952

Thanks John

post-70182-030798200 1437260186_thumb.jpg

post-70182-080387600 1437260199_thumb.jpg

post-70182-051805800 1437260211_thumb.jpg

post-70182-041900800 1437260227_thumb.jpg

post-70182-022609800 1437260239_thumb.jpg

post-70182-069891700 1437260253_thumb.jpg

my father left me this guitar all I know he used to rave about and only get it out on special occasions I can not find any serial numbers inside or any where except on the top of head it has the number 8 on it as per photo and a repair sticker inside by hewitts fiddle shop date 22/05/1952

Thanks John

That's an L-12, circa 1937-1940 (the "8" may help narrow that down, but I've forgotten how to interpret that particular marking on a headstock from that era).

It looks to be mostly original, with the possible exception of the finish. It appears to me like someone might have attempted an amateur refinish on it at some point. I hope I'm wrong, but if so, this will affect the value significantly (reducing it by perhaps 50%). It's still a beautiful thing, though, and a great family inheritance. I envy you. :)

That's an L-12, circa 1937-1940 (the "8" may help narrow that down, but I've forgotten how to interpret that particular marking on a headstock from that era).

It looks to be mostly original, with the possible exception of the finish. It appears to me like someone might have attempted an amateur refinish on it at some point. I hope I'm wrong, but if so, this will affect the value significantly (reducing it by perhaps 50%). It's still a beautiful thing, though, and a great family inheritance. I envy you. :)

Thanks for that I don't believe any one has touched it it is still in it original case I have had it for 20 years my self and im sure dad didn't have any thing done to it if any one touched the case they would get it my mun thinks that someone special originally owned it but she has no idea who just remembers dad telling his mates about it would you have any idea what the H L inside the bell shape on the head stock, would you have any idea what it was worth

Thanks again for your help

Thanks for that I don't believe any one has touched it it is still in it original case I have had it for 20 years my self and im sure dad didn't have any thing done to it if any one touched the case they would get it my mun thinks that someone special originally owned it but she has no idea who just remembers dad telling his mates about it would you have any idea what the H L inside the bell shape on the head stock, would you have any idea what it was worth

Thanks again for your help

The guitar is over 75 years old, and your family were not the original owners, so you should realize that things could have been done to it long ago.

You would need some kind of proof or provenance for your story about a special previous owner to really amount to anything. Either way, that's pretty unlikely to add any value to the guitar.

As much as I complimented you about receiving it, the guitar is not in the best of condition. If you need an accurate evaluation, you should contact a reputable vintage guitar dealer and have them appraise it in person. If it's structurally sound, I would estimate that it might be worth in the neighborhood of $1,200 - $1,500.

Do you have any photos of the back of the body and neck?

Personally, i think if that was refinished, it was an old refinish. that looks like the patina you would expect on a guitar this age, especially if someone was using a paste wax on it, which it look to me like they have. it looks like a lot of dirt and wax build up. you may want to take it to a professional restorer and have them clean it. it is a beautiful instrument, and you should play and enjoy it.

Personally, i think if that was refinished, it was an old refinish.

I agree with that.

that looks like the patina you would expect on a guitar this age, especially if someone was using a paste wax on it, which it look to me like they have. it looks like a lot of dirt and wax build up.

Interesting. I don't have much experience with over-waxing. Looks to me like a lot of the original dark stain is gone, and some remains. (or has been re-applied in an amateurish refin?) Whatever the case may be, it's not what you want to see, and there will be a negative effect on the value of the guitar.

The pickguard needs repair or replacement, and the hardware perhaps some buffing. And we still haven't seen the back...

Nice model, though. I love that art deco head inlay and tailpiece.

Archived