Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Cherry Dot

Steve112

Have replaced the deceased 339 with a beautiful Dot in the semi-transparent cherry. The brand new guitar needed a complete setup including a full fret level and nut file which my tech did.

I have to say that I'm just completely blown away by this guitar, especially the setup, the action is "Gibson" low...on the LOW side of factory specs.

Hey, inexpensive guitars are not supposed to have the ability to be setup to very tight tolerances and play this good. It plays buzz free over the whole fretboard and tunes easily and maintains stable tuning even with my strong vibrato. In addition, the tone quality is excellent and true to the 335 sound, round and full bodied but still chimey as my old 60s 335 was. The Alnico Classic and Classic Plus pups have been lowered a bit and sound VERY nice and won't be swapped out anytime soon.

I'm genuinely surprised at the quality that Epiphone builds into the entire guitar, love the 18:1 Grover tuners. The intonation put the saddles very centered in the bridge indicating that the guitar's geometry is accurate, no need for too far forward or back to be properly set!

OK, I see now why the Dot is well loved by guitarists the world over and I'm happy to join them!

Damn, these Dots are nice guitars. [thumbup]

post-71738-036643400 1437540927_thumb.jpg

post-71738-097407100 1437541514_thumb.jpg

I'm genuinely surprised at the quality that Epiphone builds into the entire guitar....

That's how I feel about my cherry Dot. Really well made, tight, and sounds great. A substantial guitar! Congrats!

Thanks all, I should also have given the tech Len, up at Long and McQuade who performs the setup on my guitars, a huge thanks.

Even though I can and have done my own setups, it's Len that has the years of experience, knowledge and the right tools to bring in the really tight, precise adjustments.

My guitars simply wouldn't be optimized to their potential without Len's invaluable work![thumbup]

Congrats! I agree with everything you said. I also have a cherry red Dot, and while I have a Nighthawk that I play more often right now, my Dot is probably a forever guitar. I replaced the wiring/switches/pots in mine and put on a Tusq graphite nut and can't imagine why anyone thinks they need to spend more than the cost of an Epiphone to get an excellent guitar. The build quality on all three of mine is outstanding. Each required a little tweaking (set up, intonation, etc.), but after that, they are all amazing. And since I bought each of mine slightly used, I have yet to spend more than $300 to acquire any single guitar.

Archived