Gibson Brands Forums: Trouble finding double ball strings for a Transcale? This might help. - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trouble finding double ball strings for a Transcale? This might help. double ball transcale synapse strings

Poll: Which Transcale strings gauges would you prefer? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Preferred string gauges for your Transcale

  1. Light [ 6th (0.046) // 1st (0.010) ] (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 14.29%

  2. Standard, wound 3rd [ 6th (0.048) // wound 3rd (0.017) // 1st (0.010) ] (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 28.57%

  3. Baritone, wound 3rd [ 6th (0.068) // wound 3rd (0.026) // 1st (0.012) ] (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 57.14%

How much would you be willing to pay for a Transcale string set?

  1. Around $15/13€/£11 would be fair (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  2. $20/18€/£15 would be pushing it, but I'd buy some (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  3. More than $25/22€/£18 would make me use regular strings instead (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   andretoscano 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 08-July 15

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:12 AM

Hi.

Like so many users around here, I was a bit disappointed to not be able to find double ball strings for the Synapse Transcale model.
Sure, this guitar can use regular strings, but that's not the point. Using double ball strings is the way to take advantage of the better tuning and stability that the Synapse Transcale offers.

So I've contacted a few string manufacturers, and a couple of them (both European; one in the UK, the other in Germany) replied back and are now sending me some sample sets for testing.


I should have the following gauges arriving in about a week (the names are simply for differentiating them, don't give the names much credit):


- Transcale Standard Light: 6th (0.046), 5th (0.036), 4th (0.026), 3rd (0.017), 2nd (0.013), 1st (0.010)

- Transcale Standard, with wound 3rd string: 6th (0.048), 5th (0.038), 4th (0.028), wound 3rd (0.017), 2nd (0.013), 1st (0.010)

- Transcale Baritone, with wound 3rd string: 6th (0.068), 5th (0.052), 4th (0.038), wound 3rd (0.026), 2nd (0.016), 1st (0.012)


As soon as I get them, I will make a small video review of them, just to see if they fit properly, how well they handle tunning, etc.


For now, if you are a user of a Transcale model and if you are indeed interested in getting some of these sets of strings, please answer the poll I've created with this topic.

Regarding pricing, well, it depends on how large your order is, but as these are small factories making small production runs specifically for this instrument, I guess we should expect to pay a bit more than what the usual market price was.

But if a good number of us reply to this poll and show some interest, maybe it can help bring prices down a bit.

And we'll all be happy!

Cheers!


André Toscano
0

#2 User is offline   HEADKNOCKER 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 345
  • Joined: 06-August 09

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

I would be interested in your findings if you can find a set of strings .009"-.046" or .010"-.046" that would be calibrated for use on the TT
My son is interested in a Trans Trem & I know where to buy a used ZT3, I am newbie to this style of trem but have setup most every style of guitar ever made.. I remember when the Floyd Rose came out if that tells you anything..

Thinking hard about buying him this guitar but it will be a couple weeks after Christmas before I can afford it..
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   andretoscano 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 08-July 15

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostHEADKNOCKER, on 08 August 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

I would be interested in your findings if you can find a set of strings .009"-.046" or .010"-.046" that would be calibrated for use on the TT
My son is interested in a Trans Trem & I know where to buy a used ZT3, I am newbie to this style of trem but have setup most every style of guitar ever made.. I remember when the Floyd Rose came out if that tells you anything..

Thinking hard about buying him this guitar but it will be a couple weeks after Christmas before I can afford it..
Posted Image


Hi!

Lovely guitar the ZT3. Your son is a lucky guy!

But I think you're confusing the TransTrem with the Transcale guitar.
You can still get calibrated TransTrem strings around at retail. No need for special manufacture orders like this.

If you're in Europe like me, you can find them here:

http://www.thomann.d..._calibrated.htm


Or else if you're in the US, they're stocking them at Sweetwater at the moment:

http://www.sweetwate...e/detail/SST106


This post is about double ball strings *specifically* for the Transcale guitar, which has a longer scale than most guitars (which is why it's damn difficult to find strings at the moment).

Cheers!

André
0

#4 User is offline   HEADKNOCKER 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 345
  • Joined: 06-August 09

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

OK I follow you on the Transcale vs Trans Trem
They are more a baritone double ball string..

I might just pick both those guitars up IF I can get the seller to come down a little on the prices
Which I know I can..

It'll be several months till I can do what I need to do..

Thanks!!
Gary/Hk
0

#5 User is offline   johnnyhaggis 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 07-January 16

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

Did you ever test out the string sets or make the video? I'd be into the baritone version for sure. I suspect that they're discontinued as they aren't available anywhere anymore.

Alternately where does one go to have custom string sets made?

View Postandretoscano, on 22 July 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

Hi.

Like so many users around here, I was a bit disappointed to not be able to find double ball strings for the Synapse Transcale model.
Sure, this guitar can use regular strings, but that's not the point. Using double ball strings is the way to take advantage of the better tuning and stability that the Synapse Transcale offers.

So I've contacted a few string manufacturers, and a couple of them (both European; one in the UK, the other in Germany) replied back and are now sending me some sample sets for testing.


I should have the following gauges arriving in about a week (the names are simply for differentiating them, don't give the names much credit):


- Transcale Standard Light: 6th (0.046), 5th (0.036), 4th (0.026), 3rd (0.017), 2nd (0.013), 1st (0.010)

- Transcale Standard, with wound 3rd string: 6th (0.048), 5th (0.038), 4th (0.028), wound 3rd (0.017), 2nd (0.013), 1st (0.010)

- Transcale Baritone, with wound 3rd string: 6th (0.068), 5th (0.052), 4th (0.038), wound 3rd (0.026), 2nd (0.016), 1st (0.012)


As soon as I get them, I will make a small video review of them, just to see if they fit properly, how well they handle tunning, etc.


For now, if you are a user of a Transcale model and if you are indeed interested in getting some of these sets of strings, please answer the poll I've created with this topic.

Regarding pricing, well, it depends on how large your order is, but as these are small factories making small production runs specifically for this instrument, I guess we should expect to pay a bit more than what the usual market price was.

But if a good number of us reply to this poll and show some interest, maybe it can help bring prices down a bit.

And we'll all be happy!

Cheers!


André Toscano

0

#6 User is offline   PostTenebras 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 08-January 16

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:13 PM

View Postjohnnyhaggis, on 08 January 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

Did you ever test out the string sets or make the video? I'd be into the baritone version for sure. I suspect that they're discontinued as they aren't available anywhere anymore.

Alternately where does one go to have custom string sets made?


Looks like it is still possible to find the transcale double-ball strings. Here on Amazon for sure and my local store (here in Geneva).

But I really like the idea of having more/better choice in the supply.

BTW - Do you know whether production of the Synapse guitars has ended completely? Finding it really hard to find a new SS-2F in anything but light maple :(
0

#7 User is offline   andretoscano 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 08-July 15

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

View PostPostTenebras, on 09 January 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

Looks like it is still possible to find the transcale double-ball strings. Here on Amazon for sure and my local store (here in Geneva).

But I really like the idea of having more/better choice in the supply.

BTW - Do you know whether production of the Synapse guitars has ended completely? Finding it really hard to find a new SS-2F in anything but light maple :(


Hi.

Regarding the double ball strings for the Transcale, yes, they're almost impossible to find at this moment.
I've contacted a factory in Germany called Pyramid Strings and ask them to produce them.
After a few tries back and forth, they've finally managed to do the same size/length (apparently it's not such an easy thing to produce...), and their prices are even cheaper than most commercially double ball strings (D'Addario, GHS, etc.).

My advise is to download Pyramid's catalogue from their website ( http://pyramid-saiten.de/de/direct/ ), choose your preferred gauge and reference, and then contact them directly and ask them to produce them for you.

I was in touch with a guy called Max Junger. You can reach at the email Pyramid@Junger.de
Mention that you got his contact from André Toscano, the "Portuguese guy with the Transcale guitar". He'll probably remember me.

Also, maybe you'd like to download and send them a couple of PDF files:

A file detailing the current Steinberger line-up

A file with the length specifications for the Transcale strings


---
As for the difficulty in finding Steinbergers in the market, welcome to the club!
Gibson doesn't seem very interested in producing many Steinbergers for some unknown reason. It's one of those "sattelite brands" that they purchase every now and then because they can, and then either keep releasing products just every once in a while, or they just bury them completely.
A rep from Gibson support told me they're only scheduled to be produced twice every year.
When they show up in the market, they quickly vanish.
The end of December batch, for example, was depleted in about a week.

So if you think you can still get your hands on a new Synapse, go for it and don't be picky about the color!
You can easily sell it at the very active Steinberger Facebook group (I'm a member. If you have Facebook, join us)

The Synapses are good guitars. And they have that mixture of wood with the carbon/graphite U channel in their necks, which is one of the reasons that draws players. They are very stable guitars, very rigid and fast necks, and don't detune easily. (except for the low cost Spirit line, which has the Synapse look, but a regular wood neck).

Ned Steinberger has sold the brand to Gibson for a number of years now. But word on the street is that a new guitar from his new company ( Ned Steinberger ) will show up this year, so fingers crossed.

It's an amazing guitar brand, their products are great, the earlier guitars from the 80's and 90's (the GL, GR and GM series guitars) are sold today for prices that in most cases are double that of a new Les Paul. Just check eBay if you're curious.

I have an older GR4 Steinberger and it's amazing. It has a completely graphite-fiber neck (no wood at all) and it's amazingly rigid and ergonomic (it doesn't even need a truss rod, as graphite is stiffer than metal).

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.
See you on the FB group.

Cheers!

André
0

#8 User is offline   PostTenebras 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 08-January 16

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:00 AM

View Postandretoscano, on 09 January 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

Hi.

Regarding the double ball strings for the Transcale, yes, they're almost impossible to find at this moment.
I've contacted a factory in Germany called Pyramid Strings and ask them to produce them.
After a few tries back and forth, they've finally managed to do the same size/length (apparently it's not such an easy thing to produce...), and their prices are even cheaper than most commercially double ball strings (D'Addario, GHS, etc.).

My advise is to download Pyramid's catalogue from their website ( http://pyramid-saiten.de/de/direct/ ), choose your preferred gauge and reference, and then contact them directly and ask them to produce them for you.

I was in touch with a guy called Max Junger. You can reach at the email Pyramid@Junger.de
Mention that you got his contact from André Toscano, the "Portuguese guy with the Transcale guitar". He'll probably remember me.

Also, maybe you'd like to download and send them a couple of PDF files:

A file detailing the current Steinberger line-up

A file with the length specifications for the Transcale strings


---
As for the difficulty in finding Steinbergers in the market, welcome to the club!
Gibson doesn't seem very interested in producing many Steinbergers for some unknown reason. It's one of those "sattelite brands" that they purchase every now and then because they can, and then either keep releasing products just every once in a while, or they just bury them completely.
A rep from Gibson support told me they're only scheduled to be produced twice every year.
When they show up in the market, they quickly vanish.
The end of December batch, for example, was depleted in about a week.

So if you think you can still get your hands on a new Synapse, go for it and don't be picky about the color!
You can easily sell it at the very active Steinberger Facebook group (I'm a member. If you have Facebook, join us)

The Synapses are good guitars. And they have that mixture of wood with the carbon/graphite U channel in their necks, which is one of the reasons that draws players. They are very stable guitars, very rigid and fast necks, and don't detune easily. (except for the low cost Spirit line, which has the Synapse look, but a regular wood neck).

Ned Steinberger has sold the brand to Gibson for a number of years now. But word on the street is that a new guitar from his new company ( Ned Steinberger ) will show up this year, so fingers crossed.

It's an amazing guitar brand, their products are great, the earlier guitars from the 80's and 90's (the GL, GR and GM series guitars) are sold today for prices that in most cases are double that of a new Les Paul. Just check eBay if you're curious.

I have an older GR4 Steinberger and it's amazing. It has a completely graphite-fiber neck (no wood at all) and it's amazingly rigid and ergonomic (it doesn't even need a truss rod, as graphite is stiffer than metal).

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.
See you on the FB group.

Cheers!

André


Hi André,

Thanks for your quick response and your knowledgeable insights! I have joined the FB group and will definitely follow it closely. And thanks for the contacts for the Transcale string manufacturer.

I realized that I put the wrong URL in my previous message. I found some transcale strings on Amazon (Music Zoo) here. However, they will not ship directly to Europe :( .

I totally agree with your comments; I have been considering buying a Steinberger for a while - just wished I had done so a lot sooner! Right now, I am still hesitating between the Transcale and the standard SS-2F models. Love the piezo and handy capo, but the difficulty in finding the longer double-ball strings and the added length of the Transcale were making me lean towards the standard models. It's a really tough choice.
0

#9 User is offline   andretoscano 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 08-July 15

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:26 AM

View PostPostTenebras, on 11 January 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

Hi André,

Thanks for your quick response and your knowledgeable insights! I have joined the FB group and will definitely follow it closely. And thanks for the contacts for the Transcale string manufacturer.

I realized that I put the wrong URL in my previous message. I found some transcale strings on Amazon (Music Zoo) here. However, they will not ship directly to Europe :( .

I totally agree with your comments; I have been considering buying a Steinberger for a while - just wished I had done so a lot sooner! Right now, I am still hesitating between the Transcale and the standard SS-2F models. Love the piezo and handy capo, but the difficulty in finding the longer double-ball strings and the added length of the Transcale were making me lean towards the standard models. It's a really tough choice.


Hi again.

Yes, the Steinberger FB group will be your first stop for any questions you have. There's some really knowledgeable and friendly people there, and you'll learn a lot about the brand (and headless guitars in general) if you want to.

I was in your shoes about seven months ago when I got my Transcale. Also had the option of choosing the regular scale Synapse, as it was available at the time.
Ended up getting the Transcale because I wanted something different. The longer scale allows me to use 0.011 - 0.052 strings like they were .010 - 0.046, because as the gauge gets bigger and the scale gets longer, the string tension remains more or less constant. So you have the benefits of beefier strings without the extra "finger work".
Also, I don't use the piezo much, but on occasion, a mere 20% piezo mixed in with the magnetic pickups is just what's needed to give your sound a different personality. So I guess it's nice that it's there readily available, even if I don't use it.

And I've been finding out that, even using single ball strings (which is what I'm using now), the tuning stability doesn't suffer much (or at all).

So if I had the same choice again, I'd go for the Transcale again. Especially having other regular scale guitars at home.
And believe me, single ball strings will work just fine too, and you'll have more choice and better pricing.

That's just my opinion.

Cheers!

André
0

#10 User is offline   Daniel L 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: 23-March 14

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

For those who might be looking - Samash has some baritone strings.

As for my strings history on this guitar. I played the stock ones, ultralight. Didn't like it. Sound too wobbly. Went for baritone - LOVED the sound. If anyone's interested - here's the Nick Drake cover done on these strings. Just listen to this deep sound. It's all clean straight into soundcard without eq or compressor or anything like that. Straight barebones as can be line in recording through piezo.

https://soundcloud.c...ick-drake-cover

recently, several weeks ago I switched for standards. Because Steinberger apparently cannot hold baritones too well. Stabely, each half a year the neck just bent horribly. And even the bridge lowered to maximum couldn't help the issue. Awesome for playing rhythm guitar but solo? forget about it. Bends? forget about it... unless you have some monster strong fingers - then go for it, by all means.

With standards - the sound is not as wobbly as on ultra lights, even if I detune to open C. And it plays just fine - very easy, and I can do bends finally. )))

A remarkable instrument. I love it so much - I haven't yet a desire to purchase another electric guitar yet... well, maybe ZT-3 due to Transtrem but it's really beyond my budget right now.

It amazes me that the guitars are so unpopular and difficult to find. They are the future, in my opinion. Make a transcale guitar with piezo - it will be the holy grail for me.
0

#11 User is offline   titaniumgears 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 11-August 18

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

This is a 2018 update.

In trying to find strings for the Synapse TranScale Six String Guitars. As most know, the TranScale strings are different. The full scale length for Transcale guitar is 28 5/8 inches (727 mm). Following the advice of André Toscano (andretoscano)
- I contacted Max at Pyramid Strings (Pyramid@Junger.de).
- I gave him the Steinberger specs for the strings: http://audiolog.pt/s...ale_strings.pdf and selected the Transcale Standard strings (see below for the three different types*).
- Current rate is 11.06 Euros plus shipping. They do ship to the US too. Around six weeks turnaround time.

Thanks André for your 2015 research! Three years later it is still good!

* Different factory string sets:
Transcale Standard Light: 6th (0.046), 5th (0.036), 4th (0.026), 3rd (0.017), 2nd (0.013), 1st (0.010)
Transcale Standard, with wound 3rd string: 6th (0.048), 5th (0.038), 4th (0.028), wound 3rd (0.017), 2nd (0.013), 1st (0.010)
Transcale Baritone, with wound 3rd string: 6th (0.068), 5th (0.052), 4th (0.038), wound 3rd (0.026), 2nd (0.016), 1st (0.012)
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users