Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer 120 - Limited? One off? Mistake?

ectoshock

post-73153-047903800 1437582288_thumb.jpgHello All,

I'm new to the forum. My name is Paul and I'm from Warren, MI. (Suburbs North of Detroit). I just purchased this guitar through Sweetwater.com last week - looks that kill and plays amazing. Now, the main thing that caught my eye in regards to this axe was the 12th fret, more so the lack of that 120th Anniversary banner. I'm not complaining by any means. Just having the fretboard with traditional dot inlays from top to bottom looks so much better. My question to anyone that may know, is this a fluke, a mistake or the golden ticket in the 120 series? Has anyone else come across this? I uploaded a picture, which is a legit actual pic of the guitar. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Paul

they must have continued making the guitar for 2015 at least,and so they removed the 12 fret inlay since it was the 120 year anniversary

That sounds like the most reasonable possibility.

I was trying to decode this on that guitar dater project website, but it wasn't coming up with any results. The weird thing is, even the serial number isn't making much sense on this one.

If they are going by the YDDDYBPPP, 140105164

2010, 401st day, batch 5, 164 rank? Does not sound right to me. Based on that serial number, any further thoughts?

In 1994 for the centennial year anniversary, serial numbers had "94" at the front.

They do this for anniversary year models.

Check out these posts:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/109968-2014-serial-numbers/

"I called up Gibson CS. They told me the 14 is obviously for 2014. All of the other numbers just run in sequence. Nothing to do with the regular Gibson serial number pattern…"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/118488-limited-edition-serial-numbers-are-they-different/

"2014 is another exception - the 125th anniversary year. The format is 14RRRRRRR where 14 is the year and RRRRRRR gives the production rank. For unknown reasons, some 2014 guitars use the more standard serial formulas."

In 1994 for the centennial year anniversary, serial numbers had "94" at the front.

They do this for anniversary year models.

Check out these posts:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/109968-2014-serial-numbers/

"I called up Gibson CS. They told me the 14 is obviously for 2014. All of the other numbers just run in sequence. Nothing to do with the regular Gibson serial number pattern…"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/118488-limited-edition-serial-numbers-are-they-different/

"2014 is another exception - the 125th anniversary year. The format is 14RRRRRRR where 14 is the year and RRRRRRR gives the production rank. For unknown reasons, some 2014 guitars use the more standard serial formulas."

Thank you for the information. So, this was definitely made in 2014. What do you think about the dots at the 12th fret instead of the banner? My rep at Sweetwater was thrown off by it, and really didn't have any official reasoning to why it was made this way. I know to most it's probably a small anomaly, but I had to throw it out there. I've yet to come across another one online, in stores, eBay, etc. without the banner. It would be cool if I had the only one with a mistake on it that made the guitar look better!

• 5 weeks later...

What do you think about the dots the 12th fret instead of the banner?

This guitar was 'made for you'! I am totally into the banner guitars, and although it has taken 2 years I finally ordered my Ebony Explorer 120 today! First I had to get a very special LP Trad Ocean Blue and then fell for the Lemon Burst ES-335 (which really took the wind out of my sails) but thankfully the demand on the Ebony Explorer 120 was low enough, I found a NIB one for sale, discounted since June. Since the pickups are $200ea, I cannot complain about a single thing, the price is damn near Gov Series. I haven't seen it yet, but if its anything like the other 2014's, other Banner Year production guitars I am sure to be pleased. My first set of Burst Bucker Pros... one of many reasons I am so excited.

Yours is nice, don't get me wrong. Jam it, and any YouTube clips be sure to link us, I will be doing exactly that myself. I think this one will pair with my Dual Recs like fine wine.

Archived