Gibson Brands Forums

firebirds

thebluesdoctor

I ownwd an Epiphone Firebird years ago. Great guitar, but a "Bird without neck-through construction and banjo tuners just isn't really a Firebird is it?

This is my Gibson Jeff "Skunk" Baxter Firebird ... one of my favorite guitars!

IMG_0009-Copy_zps9e85b4c6.jpg

IMG_0007-Copy-Copy_zps069e64a2.jpg

IMG_0006-Copy-Copy_zps50dee8e3.jpg

IMG_0008-Copy-Copy_zps5de6e995.jpg

Jim

I ownwd an Epiphone Firebird years ago. Great guitar, but a "Bird without neck-through construction and banjo tuners just isn't really a Firebird is it?

This is my Gibson Jeff "Skunk" Baxter Firebird ... one of my favorite guitars!

IMG_0009-Copy_zps9e85b4c6.jpg

IMG_0007-Copy-Copy_zps069e64a2.jpg

IMG_0006-Copy-Copy_zps50dee8e3.jpg

IMG_0008-Copy-Copy_zps5de6e995.jpg

Jim

Love it, absolutely beautiful. Only way it could be better, is non-reverse.

i am surprised nobody seems to have any epi firebirds

No offence intended to anyone who has one, but I always found the Korean-made bolt-on Epi Firebirds from the '90s to be total and utter garbage.

Since then there have been a few half-hearted attempts by Epi, of which the Firebird VII from the early 2000s was probably the best (albeit with a set neck). The Firebird Studio was just a funny-shaped G400.

I don't know why Epiphone neglects the Firebird so much. Every new line up of Epiphones each year seems to reveal another load of Les Paul offerings; would it really be so hard to set up a manufacturing line for Firebirds and see how it goes? They are interesting guitars, and I think there would be some demand for them.

If Epiphone ever makes a proper, through-neck Firebird reverse, or a nice version of a non-reverse with a set neck and P90s or mini-hums, then I'd pre-order one from Guitar Center like a shot!

But if they're going to do it, then then should do it properly. A non-reverse Firebird needs a through-neck, mini-hums, and banjo tuners. Otherwise, well, it isn't a Firebird. If the through neck is too much of a problem for a factory used to making set neck guitars, then make a non-reverse! Either way, Epiphone should really give the Firebird a chance.

no bolt on neck here and banjo tuners

WP_20150804_17_04_12_Pro_zpssrsz2uwq.jpg

WP_20150801_17_03_51_Pro_zps83ilp7dl.jpg

... and it's a Gibson, right? That was sort of the point ... Eiphone has never done a completely correct version of the Firebird.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the Epi Firebird that I used to own. Nice guitar ... just not a Firebird in the sense that an Epiphone Les Paul is a real Les Paul, is it?

SANY0040.jpg

SANY0041.jpg

Jim

• 1 year later...

Archived