Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - J-45 Iced Tea

Bozz

I just traded a Taylor 414ce straight across for this beauty. It's been for sale on CL for a couple weeks and I finally couldn't stand it any longer, so called the seller and offered a swap. It's a 2015, in perfectly new condition, still smelling strongly of wood and nitro. I'm really happy to add it to the collection. It's also nice to adhere to the one in one out rule.

001_zpsjygccmtc.jpg

I love it! My eyes are suggesting to me that it could possible have a narrower nut than Gibson's standard 1.725. Any chance it's a 1-11/16? I remember reading somewhere that certain J-45 models had the narrower nut. If so, that'd be one for me to look out for. To own a sister to your guitar would be amazing. This might be my favorite J-45 ever.

What Taylor? Who had a Taylor? You'll forget about that guitar soon enough.

I love it! My eyes are suggesting to me that it could possible have a narrower nut than Gibson's standard 1.725. Any chance it's a 1-11/16? I remember reading somewhere that certain J-45 models had the narrower nut. If so, that'd be one for me to look out for. To own a sister to your guitar would be amazing. This might be my favorite J-45 ever.

What Taylor? Who had a Taylor? You'll forget about that guitar soon enough.

Sorry, Smurf. It has a 1.725" nut.

I noticed it has an orange label and butterbean tuners. Unusual. What model does the label say it is?

Joe, It's a Custom Shop J-45 Iced Tea. It's a limited run of 75. The tuners are vintage style open back Grovers. It also has upgraded electronics with both volume and tone controls. It even came with a very nice leather bound certificate of authentication with Ren Ferguson's John Henry on it. I've never seen one of those before.

It's a 2015 with COA signed by Ren?

Kind of odd since he'd left Gibson a few years prior.

As for the guitar itself, absolutely love that burst!

You're right, it's not Ren Ferguson's signature. A closer look at the scribbling it may be a Jim, or Tim, or something similar. The Job Title is Gibson Acoustic, General Manager. I don't really care who signed it. It was just somethng I hadn't seen before.

Joe, It's a Custom Shop J-45 Iced Tea. It's a limited run of 75. The tuners are vintage style open back Grovers. It also has upgraded electronics with both volume and tone controls. It even came with a very nice leather bound certificate of authentication with Ren Ferguson's John Henry on it. I've never seen one of those before.

Wow, that is really special. You didn't trade with the guy, you held him up, good job. I wish I could find a Gibby with that neck size, I have always liked the 1 11/16 neck the best.

Enjoy, looks like you got a real keeper.

I obtained specs for this guitar from Gibson and will post them below. Gibson specifies a 1.725" nut width, which I confirmed on my guitar this morning after re-measuring. I edited my earlier post where I said the nut width was 1-11/16". Interestingly, in a recent Music Villa review of a J-45 Iced Tea, TP says it has a 1-11/16" nut.

Body Style: Round shoulder J-45

Wood: Sitka spruce top, mahogany back & sides

Binding: Multi-ply top, single-ply back, multi-ply single-ring rosette

Finish: Iced Tea burst, nitrocellulose lacquer

Neck: Mahogany, slim-taper profile with 1.725” black nut

Bracing: Traditional scalloped x-bracing

Neck-to-body: Compound dovetail secured with hide glue at the 14th fret

Fingerboard: 12” radius, rosewood with MOP dot inlay

Scale: 24 3/4”

Bridge: Belly-up rosewood

Pickguard: Traditional tortoise teardrop

Tuning Machines: Grover Gold open back