Gibson Brands Forums

AJ500RC

Cougar

Just a heads up -- there's an AJ500RC 12-fret slot head on ebay. It's a 2007 made at the Grand Rewards factory. These are pretty rare, with only a few becoming available in any one year. I've got one, and I generally agree with the seller's claims of excellent tone, loudness, etc. (I don't know the seller.)

It's got a couple of mods that I wouldn't be too crazy about, but they're either reversible or fairly minor (new tuners, the strap button moved to the back of the headstock [?], a small hole in the side for a previously installed pickup system). The pickguard had been removed, and the seller claims this seems to correlate with a sturdier bridge that doesn't pull up (a very common problem with this particular Masterbilt - mine already had a bridge re-glue). This doesn't make much sense, and it's clear the bridge is not taxed as much because he uses 10s instead of 12 gauge strings. I'd expect the bridge on this one would eventually start to pull up, especially with 12s on it, but that can be fixed (not sure of the typical cost for that by a good tech).

About 5 days left on this auction. Seven bidders so far. Good luck to anyone interested!

These are pretty rare, with only a few becoming available in any one year.

Oddly, I now notice there's a second AJ500RC on ebay, currently at $710, 4 bidders, with about 2 days left. As I recall, that's about what I paid for mine. The other one is currently at half that price, but I expect both will end up in that price neighborhood.

Oddly, I now notice there's a second AJ500RC on ebay, currently at $710, 4 bidders, with about 2 days left....

That one just went for $840. The bidding was interesting. The winning bidder placed his first bid 4 days before the auction ended, then increased that bid twice within a couple of minutes. Then he bid no more. A sniper hit with 6 seconds left, then somehow hit again with 3 seconds left. He must be using a program for that. I fail to see the utility though - you still have to pick a max number. :-k Anyway, he ran out of time and didn't get it.

That first one I mentioned comes with a tweed case. I notice it's hanging at $310. You never know.... :)

Just a heads up -- there's an AJ500RC 12-fret slot head on ebay. It's a 2007 made at the Grand Rewards factory.

Currently at $355. I'm not sure how high it will go, but I'd really be watching this one and probably throw in a bid if I didn't already have one.

Currently at $355.....

It went for $511. Probably a reasonable price for an RC with a hole in the side and a missing pickguard (which wouldn't be a major deal if you wanted to get one and put it on). So I guess nobody here got it? :-k

Archived