Gibson Brands Forums

Trying some new photography!

Flight959

Hi,

Some of you may know I am a keen amateur photographer but recently I have started loosing interest as I feel I can't progress any further as my inspiration has been stumped. In a relatively short time I have had good success with photographing weddings, functions along with family photo shoots. I have found the business side of photography has stolen the enjoyment that made me interested in the first place. Don't get me wrong, there is decent money to be made and I have made it but it just isn't the same when I am charging.

Its got to the stage where I no longer snap away in the spare time I have. I used to take a camera most places on days out, now I just leave my gear at home.

This week I have decided to try and gain some knowledge in the MACRO field of photography and hopefully relight my interest. Get back to doing it as a hobby and love it again.

I started today taking a small handful of photos in a lavender bush outside my house starting with photographing Bee's.

These are my first few shots and although I have a long way to go I feel I did well. I don't have any proper macro kit but for these shots I used a 12mm extension ring between a 24-105 lens and a Canon 5Dmkiii and a 7D.

The art of macro photography is achieving Focus with good DOF.... A way round this is to take multiple shots then align and stack them in post processing.

Anyway... These shots are Hand held single images....Off camera flash 1/8 power.. Not bad for my first go..... What do you guys think?

19813308690_d34dc0f3cc_z.jpgBee by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

19814618209_836b26a98e_z.jpgBee by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

20001307375_5949d29ea7_z.jpgBee by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

Regards

And thanks for reading!

Flight959

This week I have decided to try and gain some knowledge in the MACRO field of photography and hopefully relight my interest....

Wow, you really got on top of them [scared][biggrin] Macro is great. Nature is an unending subject....

N1934.jpg

Nice pics....great subject..... [thumbup]

The bee is the bell weather to the state of the planet.... :blink:

Sometimes differential focus can isolate the subject effectively

As can background colour choice

Taking pics with an alternative 'black and white' approach can be interesting...

V

:-({|=

I'm also a photographer. Those shots look great. For some reason, insects just seem to make fantastic subjects:

SlNAwTr.jpg

However, my subjects are usually cars. Automotive photography is my favorite kind of photography:

ieVq2RQ.jpg

Tman... is that a 918?.. only ever seen one in the flesh which was a 918 Spyder, a black one.. STUNNING car!

Regards

Yes it is. I see these kinds of cars all the time. I've seen almost every modern expensive car you can think of up close and personal. I've seen a LaFerrari, two different McLaren P1s, several 918 Spyders, and a Bugatti Veyron. I've also seen countless Ferraris, McLarens, Aston Martins, Bentleys, Lamborghinis, etc in person as well as many other rare cars from all different manufacturers. When you're an automotive enthusiast you know where to find them. It also helps that I live near one of the richest areas in the US.

Here's a few more examples:

kAuB39x.jpg

ATGU1gL.jpg

UDUYszw.jpg

Gdf0hXb.jpg

tMAkexV.jpg

Tman...Nice photos.... Love photographing cars! Hate the reflections though.... Killed many a good photograph of mine...

Here's a few more..

16433241984_5f71ffd3dd_c.jpgP O R S C H E 918 SpyderHorsham 2015 096 by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

16868137220_8597e495b2_c.jpgLotus Cortina by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

17029681486_91b3fa2668_c.jpgMcLaren MP4 by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

13901610022_97f4b18c69_c.jpgFerrari by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

Regards

Simon

Wow, great stuff. How do you do stacking?

With the Tiny DOF with macro you can stack photos to bring more of the subject into focus.. In fact any photograph can be stacked. A tripod is required but not essential. Photograph your subject and take say 5 shots making minor adjustments with the focus ring between each photograph. Import the 5 photos align them then stack them then blend them. The program will select the sharp areas in each photograph and blend them into one. Its not fool proof as you may require the brush tool to adjust small areas. Lots of great videos on focus stacking on Youtube..

Regards

Yes it is. I see these kinds of cars all the time. I've seen almost every modern expensive car you can think of up close and personal. I've seen a LaFerrari, two different McLaren P1s, several 918 Spyders, and a Bugatti Veyron. I've also seen countless Ferraris, McLarens, Aston Martins, Bentleys, Lamborghinis, etc in person as well as many other rare cars from all different manufacturers. When you're an automotive enthusiast you know where to find them. It also helps that I live near one of the richest areas in the US.

Ever made it to the Big Bend Open? I'd love to check that out some time. Sounds like a blast!

Thanks!

Had a go at Stacking for the first time.. Rather pleased with the result... 5 images stacked in this rather unpleasant image of a recently deceased wasp! Still its raining like nothing else so cant leave the house at the moment!

19994901006_78d4716034_b.jpgFocus stack test by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

Regards

Very nice work! Is that a toothpick? I have seen certain wasps or hornets actually land on and roll honeybees into a ball then tuck them under and fly away. Food for the brood I expect.

Hi Flight.

Came late to the party...

Its got to the stage where I no longer snap away in the spare time I have. I used to take a camera most places on days out, now I just leave my gear at home...

The Macro stuff is obviously going to do you a power of good. A new discipline needs a new approach and a general re-think.

Gets the old grey matter working again and whets the appetite to discover Pastures New.

As I've probably already said to you that's precisely why I bought the Leica. Gets me back to 'real' photography when time permits.

Pip.

My problem is getting sharp focus when trying macro. Can't beat the old fashioned split image for that. My other problem is getting an insect to stand still. However, I could take pictures of the dead flies on my window sill.

Some fantastic photos here!

I'm no photographer but have benefited from the introduction of digital cameras - though I only have a now-superseded Panasonic TZ5 (which does have a Leica lens).....

This beautiful comma butterfly in my garden stayed still long enough for me to get a good, really close photo today - it's a good one for me anyway!

Cropped but otherwise unedited.....

Comma2Web_zps3fisseva.jpg

Regards!

This beautiful comma butterfly in my garden stayed still long enough for me to get a good, really close photo today - it's a good one for me anyway! ....

Yep, that's a good one. I wonder what kind of signal that gets with those antenna!

Some fantastic photos here!

I'm no photographer but have benefited from the introduction of digital cameras - though I only have a now-superseded Panasonic TZ5 (which does have a Leica lens).....

This beautiful comma butterfly in my garden stayed still long enough for me to get a good, really close photo today - it's a good one for me anyway!

Cropped but otherwise unedited.....

Comma2Web_zps3fisseva.jpg

Regards!

jdgm

Great photo! Looks large! I had a butterfly stop for a while for me...like it knew, but even with the wait I still messed up the shot!

Their world looks ugly close up!

19962531430_78291bf4b3_c.jpgGreen Bottle Fly by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

Regards

Archived