Gibson Brands Forums

How much would an early 70's J-45 cost?

Henawy

Hello Gibson experts, First of all, thank you all for your answers on the previous thread finding the year of my guitar.

Now, if you'd help me one more time, I need you guys to price it, It's supposed to be a 71 or 72 J-45

Serial number is repeated but it's Not 1968 because it's got a square shoulder.

How much would it be, it's got nearly no scratches and in a perfect condition WITH a hardshell case.

How much are both? I've got an offer for $2500 for both, should I accept? Thanks

That sounds like a lot of money for that vintage J-45/J-50, even with the case based on my limited experience. You can see some similar used ones at Guitar Center for less than that, and they are typically very negotiable on price.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=J-50&src=J-50

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Page-1.gc?src=J45&internal=1&browser=&fsrc=J-45

I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much myself, but I am not a "collector" and maybe your guitar would be worth more to one of them?

"I need you guys to price .... a 71 or 72 J-45" -- Reverb.com and GBase are good places to go and see what the market is like. On Gbse, the av. retail is around $1495.

"I've got an offer for $2500 for both, should I accept?" -- See above. You'd be making a killing, but taking advantage, as the buyer would be unlikley to get a fair return his investment. Karma.

Do you know the buyer personally? If not, then there's always the possibility that it's an over-the-top offer to hook you with some kind of scam (or worse). Somewhere I read about this where the seller ended up with a bogus cashier's check and the buyer was nowhere to be found….

Do you know the buyer personally? If not, then there's always the possibility that it's an over-the-top offer to hook you with some kind of scam (or worse). Somewhere I read about this where the seller ended up with a bogus cashier's check and the buyer was nowhere to be found….

Hadnt considered that angle, but its a possibility.

I think the number zomby is throwing out there is more in line with an early norlin. (that and less).

Unless the guitar is really stellar and stable (to your ear as well as in construction) you'd be better off putting $2500 into something more recent, or upping the number towards something older.

you'd be better off putting $2500 into something more recent, or upping the number towards something older.

Note that the OP was selling and not buying the guitar, and he said he already had a buyer that offered $2500. Would be very interested to hear how this played out.

Archived