Gibson Brands Forums

Inspirational Television Programs

IanHenry

Over the past couple of weeks they've been running adverts for forthcoming T.V programs here in the U.K. Those are just unbelievable, we've got BBQ Champ to look forward too:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week31/bbq-champ

Where people compete to barbeque things!!!

And if that's not enough to whet your appetite (sorry for the pun, I couldn't resist it) we've also got Flockstars where "celebrities" compete in a sheep hearding contest:

Warning, contains video clip

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week31/flockstars

I can't wait, the excitement is killing me.

Ian

ps anyone in the market for a used TV? I think I can help you with that [crying]

i killed our television decades ago. i'm amazed so many other dummies have continued to pay for thinly veiled commercial content for so long. i get my subliminal messaging from the internet, and have for 20 years. it's way cheaper, and the content is better

[lol] !!

Right there with you! This year will be 4 years without cable- I don't miss it one iota! We get our news from internet sources; watch videos we've amassed over the years and some from Redbox. This year the wife and I are on our second book- reading to each other. Life is good without TV for us!

Almost four years ago, Comcast again tried to sneak an increase in. The standard plan was to call them, complain, threaten a move to Verizon and after 15-20 minutes they agree to keep monthly charges at the current rate. So that last time, we sat down and analyzed our TV consumption. Total; 4 hours per week and not excited about anything except the Discover channel. Bye-Bye!

When asked we truthfully answer- we have nothing against T.V.- but we're too busy for it now. And in our lives, better without it!

Brian

For the first six-or-seven years of my life my parents didn't have a T.V. and when one finally did arrive they always checked inside the good ol' Radio Times to see if there was anything 'worth' watching. Even back then the answer was frequently 'No' so I grew up in an environment where the Telly was there when required but off when it wasn't. Music and Books more than managed to fill the void.

Subsequently I adopted the same approach as my parent's had done. Hereabouts the electric fish-tank is never on before around 20:00 (more usually 21:00) (weekdays) and even then it could be days between 'viewings'.

Getting back to the O.P.; there ARE a few 'inspirational' programs, though!

Our 10-y-o is currently crazy about Jamie Oliver's "15 Minute Meals" and she loved "Strictly Come Dancing" - although admittedly we only caught the semi- and final of that series...

Yesterday's F1 from the Hungaroring was well worth the watching and there was also the first- of a six-part Agatha Christie drama which looks like it will be good fare.

But, sadly, Yes; there's an awful lot of dross out there......

Pip.

Subsequently I adopted the same approach as my parent's had done. Hereabouts the electric fish-tank is never on before around 20:00 (more usually 21:00) (weekdays) and even then it could be days between 'viewings'.

Can't you people even keep time like everyone else?

rct

Can't you people even keep time like everyone else?...

My sense of rhythm is very good, actually.

Now; all-together, folks!

With ah-one......and-ah-two......and-ah-one-two-three-four-five..........

Pip.

For the first six-or-seven years of my life my parents didn't have a T.V. and when one finally did arrive they always checked inside the good ol' Radio Times to see if there was anything 'worth' watching. Even back then the answer was frequently 'No' so I grew up in an environment where the Telly was there when required but off when it wasn't. Music and Books more than managed to fill the void.

Getting back to the O.P.; there ARE a few 'inspirational' programs, though!

Our 10-y-o is currently crazy about Jamie Oliver's "15 Minute Meals" and she loved "Strictly Come Dancing" - although admittedly we only caught the semi- and final of that series...

Yesterday's F1 from the Hungaroring was well worth the watching and there was also the first- of a six-part Agatha Christie drama which looks like it will be good fare.

But, sadly, Yes; there's an awful lot of dross out there......

Pip.

Plus we only had like three TV stations to watch pre 80s... And that shut down at midnight :) (you may have only had 2 stations pippy? :P))

Things are certainly different today.. and yes a lot of it is drivel..

There are still some good programs though...... David Attenborough alone makes having TV worth while :)

Hello!

I am not watching tv for like seven years.

With my nerves, - I am afraid - after ten minutes, I'd do what most of Hungarians did in 1986, after the historical defeat against the Soviets at Soccer World Championship in Mexico. On that sad day, it was raining tv sets in Hungary.

To me it seems, tv producers are collecting all the human garbage in the country, in their misbelief of this is entertaining people. Sadly, it does many.

Back in the 80s, when we only had two (state) channels, they didn't not broadcast on Mondays. Those were the nights. Families used to seat together and talk. Also, it did lot for demographics.

Cheers... Bence

My sense of rhythm is very good, actually.

Now; all-together, folks!

With ah-one......and-ah-two......and-ah-one-two-three-four-five..........

Pip.

Pippy at very least we get the date the correct way round.... ;)

Pippy at very least we get the date the correct way round.... ;)

No actually you don't. Who ever say's "July 28 2015"? It's "28 July 2015", just as color is wrong, it's colour! that's how it's spelt in English (the clue is in the name) [wink]

Ian

Plus we only had like three TV stations to watch pre 80s... And that shut down at midnight :) (you may have only had 2 stations pippy? :P)

...... David Attenborough alone makes having TV worth while :)

Correct, Rabs!

I also knew some other kids at the time who, in effect, only had ONE!

Their parents didn't think the ITV network offered programs of sufficiently high quality - and I have to say they weren't that far off the mark in that belief........lol!

+1,000 on Mr. D. A.

Pip.

...My 17 year old daughter is going to Scotland and England in a few weeks with her Drama class from High School...They are performing a play in Scotland I believe.

Good for her, FZF. I trust she has a great time.

I hope she has nice weather - or even that it just doesn't rain all the time...

Whereabouts is the performance? Edinburgh, Glasgow or 'elsewhere'?

Pip.

How long have you got?.... :blink:

IMO TV quality took a terminal dive when the money ran out in '08

Hatches were battened, salaries protected, over-manning preserved where possible, the repeat button was moved to permanent

How BBC exec salaries of £200,000+ can be justified is beyond belief

The schedules are 'full of filler' and laughable repetition....it used to be fun to tape a worthy programme for later...now it is broadcast 3 or more times in as many days

Sad to see reasonably respectable personalities 'going cheap' on reality tv

The internet has shaken things up like nothing before....painful for the Luddites... :-({|=

Back to basics... [thumbup]

Sing song around the old Joanna...books...rug parties...whist drives...pigeons...racing whippets...conversation... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

How long have you got?.... :blink:

IMO TV quality took a terminal dive when the money ran out in '08

Hatches were battened, salaries protected, over-manning preserved where possible, the repeat button was moved to permanent

How BBC exec salaries of £200,000+ can be justified is beyond belief

The schedules are 'full of filler' and laughable repetition....it used to be fun to tape a worthy programme for later...now it is broadcast 3 or more times in as many days

Sad to see reasonably respectable personalities 'going cheap' on reality tv

The internet has shaken things up like nothing before....painful for the Luddites... :-({|=

Back to basics... [thumbup]

Sing song around the old Joanna...books...rug parties...whist drives...pigeons...racing whippets...conversation... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Or wine, woman and song!

Ian

I think in Edinburgh.

That's fine, then; they shouldn't require the services of a translator.

Glasgow would be a different matter altogether...

Also Edinburgh is (almost) always a lovely place to be during August.

Actually it's (almost always) a lovely place to be any time of year...

Pip.

Only people wearing kilts in Edinburgh are American tourists..

...because the locals are wise to the frequency, severity and unpredictability of the gusts of wind prevalent in 'Auld Reekie' - especially as one saunters down Leith Walk...

;)

Pip.

Archived