Gibson Brands Forums

War

LarryUK

I've watched on TV recently the obsession with military by loads of countries especially the US. The money spent on war could solve all of the worlds troubles.

The madness of it saddens me. What is it with this 'Jade Helm' thing in Texas too?

I echo the worlds troubles sentiment. Its a shame war has always been part of the human condition.

The Jade Helm business is "officially" a long term exercise in urban warfare, concentrating more on infiltration and influencing people's actions and politics rather than actual combat.

Conspiracy theories abound and some fear it is the quiet beginnings of martial law and suspension of certain civil rights.

There is an alternate theory based on the possibility of 286,000+ Islamic Jihadists intermixed with the influx of the last million crossing illegally into the US Southwest from Mexico.

I would tend to believe the latter but it has been a sparsely reported idea.

I think it's mostly due to peoples' inability to deal with their own lack of power and insecurity about their sexuality. Wars, conspiracy theorists, all that stuff. People who might be better off finding a girlfriend instead of putting their energy into showing everybody how small their weiners must be. [thumbup]

i don't see what difference it makes, to be honest. so what if it was all true? is there anything that can be done about it? people using guns to fight men with

iron man suits

rail gun https://youtu.be/hyoaOOAtDI0

lazer weapon

is like monkeys using sticks to battle with tanks. and that's only a sample of the new junk darpa is working on. the cloaking and stealth technology has come a long way too. add in the new chip someone is building that no longer uses binary, and computers with some level of self awareness and warfare has taken a giant leap when we weren't looking. if the military was planning on implementing martial law, we would not have the ability to effectively fight back. guns don't mean a whole lot anymore. especially when you consider that technology has advanced to the point where the government can shut down your ability to effectively communicate and gather intel, whilst they enjoy nearly unlimited resources in this aspect.

so in my mind, if they ARE doing something like what people fear in "jade helm" there's nothing you can do but die. no point in worrying about it when it's out of your control. lastly, i would point out the ice-t and jello biafra warned everyone way back in 1989

I completely disagree. As the Beatles said...can't buy me love.

Oh, but what do you do,

and where do you start

when people are the glue,

when it all falls apart?

- Peter Hammill, 'Glue'

As an actual honest to goodness hippy from the mid to late 60's .........

No comment.

I like this place too much to have my *** hauled off. Been there. Done that. It didn't work. Nothing works. Consider the topic to be part of a list put together on an alien planet in a book released baring a cover of beautiful planet earth and the words "Lifeforms of Planet Earth". I'm sure mankind has a really big chapter.

As an actual honest to goodness hippy from the mid to late 60's .........

No comment.

I like this place too much to have my *** hauled off. Been there. Done that. It didn't work. Nothing works. Consider the topic to be part of a list put together on an alien planet in a book released baring a cover of beautiful planet earth and the words "Lifeforms of Planet Earth". I'm sure mankind has a really big chapter.

I wish they'd hurry up and do something to end man's thralldom of the planet, and rescue everything on it from us. Because not of it has much hope of surviving us as things stand .

It isn't about money or penises or love. It's about freedom. So long as there is freedom there will be those who choose wrong over right, easy over honest.

It's always been this way and always we'll be. It's alright.

Watched Lone Survivor, based on Marcus Luttrell. Just when I thought I'd seen all of them, Blackhawk Down, Hurt Locker...

Lone Survivor was nail biting, upsetting, almost shut it off, but made it through the whole gruesome reality of our finest, some our best young men...

Unspeakable really.

Sometime back I was bored and did a search on US Wars and it's just astonishing. There was hardly a time this country wasn't at war with somebody or other.

It's partly about freedom and partly about teeny weenies but it's mostly about money. It's one hell of a big industry.

time to turn over the keys to women....men have made a mess of things for far too long.

...and I hate modern feminism...but who can argue the facts...men love to fight.

I'm not so sure - have you ever watched women fight? I coached and refereed women's sports and men men fight to dominate - once that happens everything goes back to "normal". Women will fight until someone dies.

I'm not so sure - have you ever watched women fight? I coached and refereed women's sports and men men fight to dominate - once that happens everything goes back to "normal". Women will fight until someone dies.

Hahaha right on! They're like demons with memories like elephants!!

time to turn over the keys to women....men have made a mess of things for far too long.

...and I hate modern feminism...but who can argue the facts...men love to fight.

I always say that there's one thing that men do way better than women - kill people.

lashurst,

I would agree with the notion of "no war" as I can't think of anyone with good in their hearts wanting war. But I would have 2 questions for you to ponder. I, like many here, had a more pacifistic concept when in my teens thru my 20's. I didn't lose my heart, just became aware of a few hard to hide from facts:

1) There truly are more "good" people vs. "bad" people. AND then there are also "EVIL" people.

2) How do you really think you can stop "EVIL" people or even "BAD" people from hurting "GOOD" people.

3) Do you believe that you can "REASON" with EVIL or BAD people? Or will just singing J Lennon's Song "Give Peace a Chance" work. Maybe just refusing to see what they are doing might work too? What about when they become too strong?

I Don't think it's little Pee Wee's, and some is about the $$ when it comes to resources over the years for certain. But with the EVIL & BAD, we've had much of that over the centuries. Way back before Genghis Khan and to more modern Adolf Hitler, Japan's Tojo many Muslim groups & now ISIS. I have come to believe that EVIL only responds to power & fear of destruction and only mildly so. I look at EVIL people overrunning the helpless & innocent as needing to be stopped.

One thing I can't abide with is when we get into conflicts w/o a good plan & mission. When/why do we start, when is it done and how to measure that. Do that before we wrongly commit lives to battle for certain.

Generally speaking, poets, musicians, & some scholars are the first to go when things get bad. This may because the lack of willingness to stop the bullies with force. Talk is cheap and WHY would they care to listen?

Aster

1) There truly are more "good" people vs. "bad" people. AND then there are also "EVIL" people.

2) How do you really think you can stop "EVIL" people or even "BAD" people from hurting "GOOD" people.

3) Do you believe that you can "REASON" with EVIL or BAD people? Or will just singing J Lennon's Song "Give Peace a Chance" work. Maybe just refusing to see what they are doing might work too? What about when they become too strong?

I think that those we perceive as bad or evil are usually just far too certain of what they espouse. Whether its eugenics, ethnic cleaning, speaking for god, or some political utopia. Zealots will justify anything in their own belief cause.

When Jacob Bronowski stood in the water by mass graves (in his missive concerning certainty in The Ascent of Man) he said:

“This is the concentration camp and crematorium at Auschwitz. This is where people were turned into numbers. Into this pond were flushed the ashes of some four million people. And that was not done by gas. It was done by arrogance. It was done by dogma. It was done by ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave.”

i haven't read all the responses, someone may have already said this. War is about $$. War is big business. alot of defense related industries have their hands in the politicians pockets, and vice versa. these companies stand to make hefty profits. I would say follow the money trail, but it is so well covered you'll never get far. and if you did, you wouldn't be long for this world.

About re-directing money spent on war to improving mankind's lot in life.

I completely disagree. As the Beatles said...can't buy me love.

I disagree with your disagreement. Canada puts the money they don't spend on military into universal health care. Now this system has its problems, but us liberal canucks think it is better than the alternative.

Vancouver, Canada just had it's tenth (That's right, only 10)murder this year. There's something to be gained by being a peace loving people.

I think that those we perceive as bad or evil are usually just far too certain of what they espouse. Whether its eugenics, ethnic cleaning, speaking for god, or some political utopia. Zealots will justify anything in their own belief cause.

When Jacob Bronowski stood in the water by mass graves (in his missive concerning certainty in The Ascent of Man) he said:

“This is the concentration camp and crematorium at Auschwitz. This is where people were turned into numbers. Into this pond were flushed the ashes of some four million people. And that was not done by gas. It was done by arrogance. It was done by dogma. It was done by ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave.”

And with all sincerity & nothing other that true curiosity, just what do you believe we should have done, w/o war, for Hitler, & all they, and the Japanese were doing to people? Not being a know it all nor a "wise guy." I'd really like to understand what people truly think, how they would do, and why they believe the outcome would be as they think.

Aster

Archived