Gibson Brands Forums

Design Your New Music Room

BluesKing777

I regularly watch Grand Designs, a show where people build or design a special home, often the rich but not always. My only beef is that they rarely have any intimate spaces like a music practice or recording/rehearsal room, and a lot of the houses are very open plan - ok if you live alone but not much if you play and practice a lot in a family or even own a couple of dogs etc...

I have also seen some fabulous spaces like James Taylor's barn and Mark Knopflers studio.

So for a bit of fun, what you do for your guitar room if you could build new or renovate?

I like my little bomb room, but you know.........it is a disgrace.

BluesKing777.

James Taylor's barn

Talking of barns, I always thought Neil Young's barn pictured on the back sleeve of 'Harvest' was along the lines of how my practise/ recording space would be. I wouldn't mind adding Neil's Gretsch White Falcon or Martin D45 to my collection either.

I regularly watch Grand Designs, a show where people build or design a special home, often the rich but not always. My only beef is that they rarely have any intimate spaces like a music practice or recording/rehearsal room, and a lot of the houses are very open plan - ok if you live alone but not much if you play and practice a lot in a family or even own a couple of dogs etc...

I have also seen some fabulous spaces like James Taylor's barn and Mark Knopflers studio.

So for a bit of fun, what you do for your guitar room if you could build new or renovate?

I like my little bomb room, but you know.........it is a disgrace.

BluesKing777.

I have a small area in my basement that is used for playing, jamming, recording. A bass amp and old Kay bass. Couple of mics. And my Gibson SG; Epiphone Sheraton 2; Fender tele which I assembled. I have a 64 Fender vibrolux reverb which I use. I picked up a small Marshall and small Vox for jamming. Main problem is too many cords...seem to always get tangled. My effects units are also a hassle as there is not much room. Used to have a small drumset but it took up more space (strarted using a Looper and drum machine). I would like to wall the area off but that is down the road.

You are not alone. I have played since 12 years old (am now 65) and I keep collecting "stuff." Problem is I don't want to part with any of my equipment and, that takes up a lot of space.

Likewise, as my entire home is my music room! Gotta do something about that ....... someday.

steve

That picture of a small house would be great for playing, jamming whatever. I have a large well built shed in my backyard that my musician friends want to convert to a musical room-shed. Probably need to lock a couple of pitbulls in it at nightmsp_tongue.gif

This would be a nice room:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-27%20at%205.12.51%20PM_zpskryaa0rh.png

A place just large enough to have some friends over, room to spread out, with some headroom, and lots of wood to keep it all in check. Daryl Hall is living the life. The full episodes capture how enjoyable to have musical types visit, have some conversation, some good laughs, the preparing and enjoying of some good food and drink, and of course, music.

Here, Daryl welcomes in Allen Stone. Channeling Stevie Wonder with some irrepressibly upbeat vocals. Right up Daryl's alley:

My wife watches all of those home design shows. I pretty much see them as the folks with too much money and time on their hands hour.

They are not all rich, but mainly! Neil, James, Mark are not on their knees.

I watch the shows and think: "Why didn't someone tell me that before I got a house built all those years back?"

Oh Oh, they probably did, but..... [biggrin]

What I do like is carpet or rugs in a dead sound practice room, others like shiny or timber floors...

BluesKing777.

in our house, the previous owner was a bit of a tinkerer..

he had a small workshop room that he setup, it sits in the corner of the basement, has a window over looking the back yard.

It's about 12x12, had a wall of storage cabinets which we tore out. The walls are all covered with tounge and grove wood panels, my son painted it black some years back, it was a puke green before that. liked the black better!

I put a carpet down there, and I use space heaters in the winter, and put an AC in there for summer.

That's where I go when I need to disconnect from reality.

it's big enough for me, and maybe two more people. I would love to fit in there with my originals band, but I'm not sure everyone would fit once the drums get in there.

My problem is - I keep adding pictures and posters, and most recently a sheepskin rug, killing the acoustics in the room. When it started out 3 years ago, with a wooden floor and bare walls - the sound was great. But, I soon added a bookshelf for my music stuff. And of course a couple of places to sit. Then my kids gave me a Kegorator, so of course that's sitting in the corner humming away. (As close as I'll get to a ToneRite.) I've drawn the line at having a TV in there, and now the room is comfortable - so I spend more time there. But, it's as much a 'man cave' as a 'music room'. A "Music Man Cave" ?

Like Schaadrack. I've got so much stuff over 50 years of guitars that I don't know what I'd get rid of. A bigger room would be nice, but it would only mean a bigger mess. What I probably need is one of those professional organizers that you see on shows like Hoarders...lol....The only problem would be that they can't throw anything away. All they can do is organize. [thumbup]

Ha Ha Ha! Some pics I see...

Dreamers - where is the stuff?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Home-Office-Computer-Studio-Glass-Desk-3-Tier-Bookcase-Display-Furniture-/121711698552

Ha Ha neaties!

http://madamamamada.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/studio-room-ideas.html

And what, no boxes of leads? No power points either!

Trendy dog house, in case you leave anything lying around and.... [biggrin] :

http://editorial.designtaxi.com/editorial-images/Puphaus07072015/1.jpg

And last but not...

http://squeezeddaily.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/a-z-guide-of-garden-essentials_4.html

Edit - some of the links wouldn't co-operate .......

BluesKing777.

I designed and built my own this summer, but went in a different direction. Got a Eureka Hexagon Screenhouse like this from Amazon for about $150: http://store.eurekatent.com/hexagon-screen-house . Set it up in my woods out back, about a two minute walk from the house down a narrow winding trail. It was great, but I thought it would be better with a wood floor so I built a hexagonal deck, lumber was about $300. It breaks down into 4 sections, so it can be moved it to other parts of my property in the future.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

I don't need a "place for all my stuff", that's what my house is for. I live alone so the whole house is basically a "man-cave". :) Instead, I wanted simplicity where I could practice with no distraction. So the only furnishings are two stools and a guitar stand. I can really get lost in nature and music out there.

s3.jpg

I bring a table and grill out there sometimes to enjoy a cookout with guests, so it's a versatile space. While working on the deck, it struck me that it looked like a little stage. So now I have a "theater configuration" as an intimate performance space for family gatherings, takes me about a half hour to strike the tent. My 5 year old granddaughter is thrilled and is busy rehearsing for our first "family talent show" when they come down from the City this weekend. :)

s4.jpg

About five years ago I got fed up with my home increasingly resembling a music shop and decided to rent a small unit in an old mill building down the road from me to keep my equipment in and serve as a rehearsal space. The room needed soundproofing to use as a recording space and I ended up making a seperate live room and control room, so I now have a fully functional studio at my disposal at a cost of a couple of grand a year rent and maybe three grand in building materials. The unit also had a box room attached, and this year I converted that into a workshop so I can now build and service guitars there as well. It's a pain having to drive there but such a great space to have, well worth the effort.

I designed and built my own this summer, but went in a different direction. Got a Eureka Hexagon Screenhouse like this from Amazon for about $150: http://store.eurekatent.com/hexagon-screen-house . Set it up in my woods out back, about a two minute walk from the house down a narrow winding trail. It was great, but I thought it would be better with a wood floor so I built a hexagonal deck, lumber was about $300. It breaks down into 4 sections, so it can be moved it to other parts of my property in the future.

I don't need a "place for all my stuff", that's what my house is for. I live alone so the whole house is basically a "man-cave". :) Instead, I wanted simplicity where I could practice with no distraction. So the only furnishings are two stools and a guitar stand. I can really get lost in nature and music out there.

I bring a table and grill out there sometimes to enjoy a cookout with guests, so it's a versatile space. While working on the deck, it struck me that it looked like a little stage. So now I have a "theater configuration" as an intimate performance space for family gatherings, takes me about a half hour to strike the tent. My 5 year old granddaughter is thrilled and is busy rehearsing for our first "family talent show" when they come down from the City this weekend. :)

This is brilliant, by the way!

Thanks - Some more very nice ideas - both offsite! Tip toe through the tulips to get to the music room.... [flapper] and a storage facility!

This link has some very stylish guitar rooms (though they need to be kept...gulp...tidy-ish):

Some are 'guitar as dcoration' though and dont appear to get played....

http://www.houzz.com/guitar-room

BluesKing777.

Archived