Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson quality

Mickthemiller

I take the view that it’s great that Gibson are still here. The competition is stiff, especially from Asia whose quality has now improved vastly in the last 10 years. Yet Gibsons are selling well & are mostly perceived as providing a quality product with something ‘extra’.

I draw a parallel with Leica Cameras. These are beyond the reach of most photographers, but this is an historic company still producing a product that many aspire to own. You have to get on a waiting list just to buy one.

By comparison, Gibson guitars are much more affordable than anything Leica make. They also are geared up for high production and the resale values of Gibson guitars are probably higher than any other guitar manufacturer.

Despite the quality issues and company perception (which sadly are real) it’s a pleasure to find, handle & play genuine Gibson guitars in 2015.

Imagine the world without Gibson (or Leica) in it. It hardly bears thinking about.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The QC from Gibson USA, Memphis, Montana and the Custom Shop is all lacking. They make wonderful guitars and when QC is being done, they are phenomenal. However, I have been a victim of poor QC from Memphis (but Gibson made good which I am happy for.) and I still same the same issues coming out of Memphis. Memphis does not know how or care to make clean F holes. If you were to compare a Collings I-35 and an ES 335 side by side, the craftsmanship of the Collings is far superior. I own the last Gibsons (I think) I will ever buy and it is because of the QC issues they have and that Gibson will not fix them at the source. While I want tone and feel like everyone else, I can't settle for that and have a guitar with a defect in it. I am not buying used, rather multi thousand dollar guitars.

Lastly, I do not own chinese sh1t, rather over 20k in Gibson guitars and have had enough. The ones I have are perfect with tone and craftsmanship but it was a journey. Time to enjoy other brands since I have the best of the best that Gibson could offer.

The QC from Gibson USA, Memphis, Montana and the Custom Shop is all lacking. They make wonderful guitars and when QC is being done, they are phenomenal. However, I have been a victim of poor QC from Memphis (but Gibson made good which I am happy for.) and I still same the same issues coming out of Memphis. Memphis does not know how or care to make clean F holes. If you were to compare a Collings I-35 and an ES 335 side by side, the craftsmanship of the Collings is far superior. I own the last Gibsons (I think) I will ever buy and it is because of the QC issues they have and that Gibson will not fix them at the source. While I want tone and feel like everyone else, I can't settle for that and have a guitar with a defect in it. I am not buying used, rather multi thousand dollar guitars.

Lastly, I do not own chinese sh1t, rather over 20k in Gibson guitars and have had enough. The ones I have are perfect with tone and craftsmanship but it was a journey. Time to enjoy other brands since I have the best of the best that Gibson could offer.

Personally I have no qualms about buying used, ragged f-holes or care where they are made. The best e-guitars I have ever played were all Japanese. As for China, as I offered earlier, more plants have raised their game massively. Epiphone's Qingdao has done also. If the carcass of the guitar is good (and they are using some premium woods now), you can swap any hardware you like of course. People do this with new Gibsons anyway.

The quality issue I mentioned in my 1st post was serious. To correct that, you will likely have to bore out the bridge post holes oversize and fit bespoke eccentric bushes with the new holes in the correct position.

I respect your preference of choice, but we will all vary of course. I have two things hanging on my sitting room wall, one is an Irish Seascape painting, the other is a guitar. The 1st is a work of art, the 2nd is a tool. That's my perspective on it anyway.

I don't think it should matter if you buy a high end guitar sight unseen, and or online especially if it's new!! I should be able to call any gibson dealer, order a standard or custom even a studio and it should be flawless when you recieve it.. Gibson set a standard for their guitars an probably 99.9% are met to that, it's unfortunate that the odd one slips through with some flaws..

F^ck yeah!

Personally I have no qualms about buying used, ragged f-holes or care where they are made. The best e-guitars I have ever played were all Japanese. As for China, as I offered earlier, more plants have raised their game massively. Epiphone's Qingdao has done also. If the carcass of the guitar is good (and they are using some premium woods now), you can swap any hardware you like of course. People do this with new Gibsons anyway.

The quality issue I mentioned in my 1st post was serious. To correct that, you will likely have to bore out the bridge post holes oversize and fit bespoke eccentric bushes with the new holes in the correct position.

I respect your preference of choice, but we will all vary of course. I have two things hanging on my sitting room wall, one is an Irish Seascape painting, the other is a guitar. The 1st is a work of art, the 2nd is a tool. That's my perspective on it anyway.

These guitars are more then a tool. They are a thing of beauty (which is art in itself) and if anyone rejects these guitars are not works of art (or supposed to be) then Gibson, Martin PRS and every one else is just blowing smoke up our asses. Look at the tops, look at the woods, look at the carving/shaping, look at the inlays, the head stock work etc etc. These high end guitars are much more then a tool. If you only want a tool, by a cheap guitar that feels good, change the electronics to your liking and you are good to go. If you want a tool that is a piece of art, spend the money and expect perfection. If you cannot get perfection or it is too hard to get, move on to a brand that can fulfill all your needs. While Collings or PRS craftsmanship is remarkable, I may hate the feel or sound so I will continue my quest. Good thing is, we all seem to love our Gibsons that we own and that is what really matters in the end!

I love my gibsons, they play and sound great.. But maybe if Gibson quit payin people to do their quality control their prices would go down,, I mean their not entirely doing their job anyway, if they were we wouldn't have anyone complaining.. It doesn't matter how many they are producing.... As a machinist in a family owned business for 28 years weather a customer orders a $100 part or a $5000 part when it leaves its absolutely 100% correct. If theres a problem with it, it gets tossed, nothing leaves the shop that isn't perfect.

Hi Mark,We obviously dont think the same way. Fair enough. [thumbup]

These high end guitars are much more then a tool. If you only want a tool, by a cheap guitar that feels good, change the electronics to your liking and you are good to go.

I have done. It’s a Hagstrom Deuce. I’m having switches, wiring etc upgraded. It’s with my luthier now. Money aside, I value it as much as any of my other guitars. It even looks better than most of them. But why can’t I have a Gibson as well?

If you want a tool that is a piece of art, spend the money and expect perfection. If you cannot get perfection or it is too hard to get, move on to a brand that can fulfill all your needs.

You’re lucky you can find perfection. For me, no such guitar exists, and perfection is an ideal that wont be realised.

If it did, it would look something like this:

* Double cut style Carbon Fiber semi hollow body

* Neck. Carbon Fiber (less volatile than wood)Double action truss rod.

* Resinator or Richlite fingerboard.

* 25.5” scale: 1.69” neck width at nut.

* 12” -16” compound radius neck (similar to Jackson Soloist)

* adjustable nut height (similar to 2015 s/body Gibsons)

* 24 banjo style st. steel frets + zero fret

* Fixed roller bridge with individual saddle adjustment for action and intonation. Hard tail.

* One single coil Fender trad style pickup at neck position.

* Locking tuners

* Colour: I'm not sure.Orange? Grey?

Notice there is no wood in this build at all.

If I had this built, it would still be just a tool.

The art is in the music.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 6 Gibsons that I've acquired in the last 11 years, and not a single one has ever had any quality issue whatsoever. 4 of the 6 were bought online, all good. Once at a Guitar Center I played an ES335 that had wonky pickup rings on it, but I've never even encountered a Gibson anywhere that had a real quality problem. I've apparently been extremely lucky or maybe there is simply a very vocal minority of dissatisfied people who may or may not actually own Gibsons.

I have 6 Gibsons that I've acquired in the last 11 years, and not a single one has ever had any quality issue whatsoever. 4 of the 6 were bought online, all good. Once at a Guitar Center I played an ES335 that had wonky pickup rings on it, but I've never even encountered a Gibson anywhere that had a real quality problem. I've apparently been extremely lucky or maybe there is simply a very vocal minority of dissatisfied people who may or may not actually own Gibsons.

I can assure you I own Gibson guitars. For me, I sometimes feel the kloolaid drinkers don't own Gibson guitars.. LOL

The issues I had I fixed myself.. The issues I had shouldn't have left the plant in the first place. I personally think its important to voice an opinion when purchasing a high end guitar of any brand weather its good or bad its good feedback for a company to improve.. As a machinist, im a perfectionist.. So with that said maybe Im a little more focused on attention to detail than most.. When I purchase something it should be perfect!!

The issues I had I fixed myself.. The issues I had shouldn't have left the plant in the first place. I personally think its important to voice an opinion when purchasing a high end guitar of any brand weather its good or bad its good feedback for a company to improve.. As a machinist, im a perfectionist.. So with that said maybe Im a little more focused on attention to detail than most.. When I purchase something it should be perfect!!

I wonder if the Gibson apologists would buy a 50K car and accept it with scratches on it, flawed paint or ragged stitching on the seats? I mean the mechanical features could be perfect and that is the main reason you buy a car, right? I just don't know [confused]

Could it be that the very few disappointed make a lot more noise than the vast majority of satisfied?

//Robert

yes

speaking of quality control, I recently bought a brand new 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus

it is magnificent

not even the slightest flaw, anywhere

did I get lucky? maybe I did......but the fact remains that Gibson IS capable, and clearly does produce top quality guitars...I know because I have one

NO, I am on the Gibson payroll, no I am not a Gibson employee....I just get tired of reading Gibson bashing

Simple question - I keep reading odd bits about Gibson quality falling off - is it true or just people with a grudge? [confused]

There is definitely a grudge aspect towards Gibson that I've noticed online towards Gibson. There is another Gibby site where it is so bad I wont go in there anymore. It's a Gibson site but has more Gibson bashing than the rest of the internet combined.

I just heard from my dealer, in Wichita, that (according to their Gibson Rep) Gibson is going BACK,

to 2012 Spec's on most Iconic models, with only a few having the G-Force, Brass nut, and wider neck!

But most will return to 2012 spec's! IF that's true, that's Great news!

My dealer told me, it was a "Dismal" sales year, for Gibson products, there...compared to previous

years! So, I guess we're not the only ones, that aren't "thrilled" with the 2015 model year changes

"improvements!"

Time will tell!

CB

I just heard from my dealer, in Wichita, that (according to their Gibson Rep) Gibson is going BACK,

to 2012 Spec's on most Iconic models, with only a few having the G-Force, Brass nut, and wider neck!

But most will return to 2012 spec's! IF that's true, that's Great news!

My dealer told me, it was a "Dismal" sales year, for Gibson products, there...compared to previous

years! So, I guess we're not the only ones, that aren't "thrilled" with the 2015 model year changes

"improvements!"

Time will tell!

CB

USA has a zero growth GNP in the 1st quarter this year which was the worst in decades. It has not been a good year at all for a great many companies.

Are you saying Gibson is going back to the traditional neck width?

It is beyond me why people hate the E-tuner les pauls when you can take off the etuners and sell them for $150 on Ebay and then buy a $55 set of Gibby vintage tuners AND take your gal out to dinner. Gibson is buying you and your gal a free dinner.

There is definitely a grudge aspect towards Gibson that I've noticed online towards Gibson. There is another Gibby site where it is so bad I wont go in there anymore. It's a Gibson site but has more Gibson bashing than the rest of the internet combined.

don't know if you are referring to the Mylesspaul.com web site or not, but the Gibson bashing is brutal there, goes on and on, you would think the world has come to an end, raw emotional hatred

USA has a zero growth GNP in the 1st quarter this year which was the worst in decades. It has not been a good year at all for a great many companies.

Are you saying Gibson is going back to the traditional neck width?

I don't know, but I would expect they will, on most...save the few they're keeping. I have no problem, with the G-force tuners, per se'

as you mentioned, you can just take them off, at any time. But, the other "improvements" I didn't like, or see the need for, to be honest.

From what my dealer told me, I wasn't the only one. So...??? As I said before, "Time will tell." :-k[biggrin]

CB

Could it be that the very few disappointed make a lot more noise than the vast majority of satisfied?

//Robert

yes

speaking of quality control, I recently bought a brand new 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus

it is magnificent

not even the slightest flaw, anywhere

did I get lucky? maybe I did......but the fact remains that Gibson IS capable, and clearly does produce top quality guitars...I know because I have one

NO, I am on the Gibson payroll, no I am not a Gibson employee....I just get tired of reading Gibson bashing

Did you get lucky??? No.. Gibson is a big name and puts out way way way more flawless guitars than flawed ones...

I'm sure Afew people here have complained about a $8 meal that Mcdonalds managed to screw up!!! Well the price tag on each of my les Paul customs are $4700.. So when there's flaws on them I'm going to voice an opinion!!!! Don't be so shocked an offended that I had a complaint.. It doesn't stop me from playing my gibson.. I'm not bashing gibson, they have to tighten up their qc.. As far as I'm concerned it's constructive criticism.. If people don't say anything a company can't improve.. I still play my gibsons everyday!!! I don't want people to think I'm here bashing their guitars or the gibson name.. I'd rather bash the people that are in denial about gibson making any kind of mistake then complain about the people complaining about their expensive guitars with flaws.. When someone complains about the quality of their guitar (me) I'm sorry that it offends some of the people here with a flawless guitar..

I've bought and sold many Gibsons, both acoustic and electric and here's what I have found:

1. You can find something wrong on any of them if you look closely enough. You can find problems on most Fenders, Taylors and Martins too. PRS, not so much.

2. I've never bought a Gibson with a big problem that was a deal breaker. I tend to see slight finish issues, the occasional fret issue and they always cut those nuts wrong.

3. My only Gibson that I have now that I'm keeping has a small chip out of the fretboard near an inlay. Someone goofed and passed the guitar along anyway. It's down past the 18th fret. I was annoyed when I found it but now I don't care.

4. People call a lot of Gibsons "duds" but I haven't experienced this. In a model-line they all do sound different and I don't like the sound of every one, but that doesn't mean the ones I don't like are duds.

The vitriol and weird stories I hear never seem to manifest for me personally after a couple decades on and off with Gibsons.

Did you get lucky??? No.. Gibson is a big name and puts out way way way more flawless guitars than flawed ones...

I'm sure Afew people here have complained about a $8 meal that Mcdonalds managed to screw up!!! Well the price tag on each of my les Paul customs are $4700.. So when there's flaws on them I'm going to voice an opinion!!!! Don't be so shocked an offended that I had a complaint.. It doesn't stop me from playing my gibson.. I'm not bashing gibson, they have to tighten up their qc.. As far as I'm concerned it's constructive criticism.. If people don't say anything a company can't improve.. I still play my gibsons everyday!!! I don't want people to think I'm here bashing their guitars or the gibson name.. I'd rather bash the people that are in denial about gibson making any kind of mistake then complain about the people complaining about their expensive guitars with flaws.. When someone complains about the quality of their guitar (me) I'm sorry that it offends some of the people here with a flawless guitar..

Good example of Gibson bashing.

Gibson's "QC" has always been hit-and-miss. They're production guitars. They're not perfect. This is why Tom Bartlett's plans are based on an 'average' of several guitars... you will scarcely find a pair of '59 Les Pauls with everything in the same place... or even 'correctly' aligned tuners!

don't know if you are referring to the Mylesspaul.com web site or not, but the Gibson bashing is brutal there, goes on and on, you would think the world has come to an end, raw emotional hatred

fAKE rEVIEWS

There is an organized effort by that bunch against Gibson. You can see their efforts are organized on the reviews for this Gibson product.

Archived