Gibson Brands Forums

Epi DR-500 MNS

Zippydog

Hi,

New member hoping to officially join with used Masterbilt.

I was going to purchase a new one, but thought why not used?

I have a lead on a 2005 DR-500 MNS in really good shape.

The seller is asking $325.00

Does this seem like a decent price.

I have seen images and it appears to be in like new condition.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this sale and this model.

Thank you!

Probably not a bad price. I paid $325.00 for the same guitar about 8 years ago, but that included the MB case. An all solid guitar for that price is hard to pass up.

Edit: 2005 was kinda the sweet spot in the MB line, IMO.

Thanks man. That really helps me.

I'm going to see it in person Wednesday. It comes with the hard case too.

This will be my first acoustic used guitar purchase.

Any pointers what to look for other than neck and obvious defects?

Appreciate your help.

Look at the bridge carefully. You should not be able to slip a piece of paper under the corners. Look at the base of the neck. Is it still firmly in place? Look at the nut. Is it a problem to barre an F? Play it. The sound should be full, loud and sustain should go on forever.

The seller is asking $325.00

Does this seem like a decent price.

With a case and in the condition you describe, I'd say that's really good. Check the back of the headstock for a lightly stamped into the wood "USED" or "2ND." Or inside if there's a sticker with a serial number over the old serial number. This means it left the factory with some finish flaw or some other flaw. The flaw might be minor or even undetectable, in which case it's "refurbished" but still a great guitar. But check every inch of the guitar.

In any case, look down the neck to see if it's reasonably straight, not warped. It's usually a good sign when a 10-year-old guitar has been well taken care of.

Well, I brought her home.

It's as clean as I hoped it would be.

The hard case is almost pristine with the exception of a gouge at the top and part of one case buckle

is missing.

Action is just right for my type of play.

Couple of things I would like to ask you all.

The stamped serial number on the neck is different than the serial number on the interior paper.

The # on the paper reads GR-05080443 and the inked number inside on the neck reads 0506270443.

Is this unusual to not match? A bad thing?

The strings feel very rough not smooth even though they're acoustic strings.

On some new acoustics I tried out, moving up and down the fret board felt much silkier.

Never owing an acoustic, I think it's old strings? Plus not much sustain when strumming.

I like the satin finish on the body and neck.

I'm going to give it a good cleaning, change strings, oil the fret board.

Any suggestions for good replacement strings using standard gauge?

Can I remove all strings when changing?

I do on my electrics.

Here are some pictures of her.

Thanks.

post-73228-046694000 1438197619_thumb.jpg

post-73228-005255200 1438197629_thumb.jpg

post-73228-085029000 1438197647_thumb.jpg

post-73228-082926600 1438197658_thumb.jpg

post-73228-027331200 1438197667_thumb.jpg

Well, I brought her home.

It's as clean as I hoped it would be.

The hard case is almost pristine with the exception of a gouge at the top and part of one case buckle

is missing.

Action is just right for my type of play.

Couple of things I would like to ask you all.

The stamped serial number on the neck is different than the serial number on the interior paper.

The # on the paper reads GR-05080443 and the inked number inside on the neck reads 0506270443.

Is this unusual to not match? A bad thing?

The strings feel very rough not smooth even though they're acoustic strings.

On some new acoustics I tried out, moving up and down the fret board felt much silkier.

Never owing an acoustic, I think it's old strings? Plus not much sustain when strumming.

I like the satin finish on the body and neck.

I'm going to give it a good cleaning, change strings, oil the fret board.

Any suggestions for good replacement strings using standard gauge?

Can I remove all strings when changing?

I do on my electrics.

Here are some pictures of her.

Thanks.

the serial number is nothing to worry about. go with the one on the label in the sound hole GR-05080443. to me, these are the best of the masterbilts. made at the Grand Reward factory. congrats!

as far as strings; I recently tried some Clear Tones. not bad. it should be fine to change all the strings at once. I do and never have any issues.

the serial number is nothing to worry about. go with the one on the label in the sound hole GR-05080443. to me, these are the best of the masterbilts. made at the Grand Reward factory. congrats!

as far as strings; I recently tried some Clear Tones. not bad. it should be fine to change all the strings at once. I do and never have any issues.

Whew! Thanks LPS for clarifying the serial number issue.

Yeah I'm psyched about the Epi.

And with your awesome endorsement of the GR plant, too cool!

Seems very well made.

The neck reminds me a lot of my Les Paul with slim taper.👍

Well, I brought her home.....

You scored, man. [thumbup] I agree with everything LPS1976 said. My RAVS and RC Masterbilts (see sig) are both Grand Rewards guitars, and they are superb. Interestingly, they are also both 2005.

The 2003 pre-production, "display" maple PNS I've got has G03..., which Epi-dater says is Korea. Samick, I imagine (?)

The # on the paper reads GR-05080443 and the inked number inside on the neck reads 0506270443. Is this unusual to not match?

I believe it's unusual to have a number at all on the... what is that, the heel? inside at the base of the neck? The Grand Rewards guitars do. Also the PNS. My 2009 MNS doesn't, and I imagine many don't (MBers can check me on this). Yeah, that heel number is always a month or two before they slap on the "OK finished" label.

As you might imagine, I think these are all great guitars. [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I feel like an idiot but don't know anything about the Grand Reward factory, tell me more folks!

Sorry I missed this, meanstreak. I don't know much either, but Grand Rewards is apparently a guitar factory in China with a very good reputation. I guess they serve many 'customers', with Epiphone putting in an occasional order. All I can say is, the finish and tone on my 2005 GR Masterbilts are superb. Of course, that's normally the case on any 2004-2010 Masterbilt....

Archived