Gibson Brands Forums

LP toggle switch position

Junior Jr III

I'm pretty satisfied with the guitars I have but who doesn't want a Les Paul? My problem seems to be that I hit that toggle switch all the time. I guess I've spent too much time playing acoustics on the high side of the sound hole so that three way toggle is right in the path. I'm not doing windmills but I sure manage to knock a LP out of gear while playing. Is this a problem for anyone else? I'm considering disconnecting it and putting another toggle near the vol/tone knobs.

Speaking of windmills, how did Pete T not hit that switch when he was getting crazy? I know he had a bunch of mods on his Deluxes but was disconnecting the toggle one of them?

I have a Epi LP standard right now and I'm trying to work it out but it may have to go back. I'd love to have a LP Custom in white but I don't need a guitar that is frustrating to play. No matter how pretty it is.

Thanks for any input.

Bill

I've played les pauls since 1973,

I can't think of a time when I've EVER thought the toggle switch was in my way.

It's definitely sounding like something that is related to your actual playing style.

I have a guitar modeled on the LP DoubleCut and while its a delight in all important respects, I have knocked that PU switch inadvertently a couple of times into the middle position. I dont know how exactly. I'm certainly no exhibitionist either!

I am more accustomed to the 'bottom' sited switches as found on ES models and Fenders. To me, that is the more convenient position anyway.

In the case of the Memphis ES models, I feel pretty sure that the lower position is used because its close to the f-hole, and so is easier to get at for changing/cleaning etc.

So yes. Its happened to me, and likely will again.

I hit the switch on my LP but only when i'm playing live or jamming with the band. I tend to strum like a maniac so while I used to knock it all the time, i've gotten it down to about once now every time i am jamming. I once thought about replacing the 3 way switch with like a jaguar type switcher but never did. I did remove the little plastic knob on the switcher and that seemed to help me avoid knocking it.

I would not recommend moving the location of the switch, just try to adjust your playing so you don't hit it as much or at all.

My problem is not with hitting the toggle switch but forgetting where it is. Sometimes I will start the show with a Telecaster and if a string breaks on that I'll switch to my LP copy but when I want to switch pickups I'll forget I'm playing the LP and I'll start reaching down to where the 3 way switch would be on a Telecaster... 8-[

just try to adjust your playing so you don't hit it as much or at all.

That reminded me of the Spinal Tap bit about fixing the choreography of the dwarves, so's they don't trod upon Stonehenge. (Not that I think the LP is built wrong)

You're probably right, I just need to train myself to play a bit differently. Now that I think of it, I have a Gretsch Rocjet with the same sort of toggle position. Maybe that's why it stays in the case most of the time.

Thanks for the responses. I guess most folks don't have a problem with this.

I've played les pauls since 1973,

I can't think of a time when I've EVER thought the toggle switch was in my way.

It's definitely sounding like something that is related to your actual playing style.

My experience also. Not once.

Speaking of windmills, how did Pete T not hit that switch when he was getting crazy?

I don't know about his LP's, but when he was playing Strats in the late 80's he DID put a whammy bar through his hand that way.

Not even once? Not ever?

You gotta swing your arms more post-37866-076069900 1438118694_thumb.jpg

I've even knocked the switch on my Strat once or twice. [blink]

No, not ever. Not once and no chance of it really. IMO it is just very bad technique but it is just my opinion

it got in my way when I first started playing a Les Paul. after a while it wasn't an issue (and my playing wasn't as sloppy either)

Hey thanks. I've just started with a LP so maybe I'll work around it. Or I'll stick to SG's, Tele's and acoustics. That would be alright too. I never thought I was particularly sloppy. I hit my chords but I'm probably closer to emulating Joe Strummer and other punkish exuberants, even on acoustic. I'm still looking at getting an Epi LP Custom so we'll see what happens. Cheers!

Hey thanks. I've just started with a LP so maybe I'll work around it. Or I'll stick to SG's, Tele's and acoustics. That would be alright too. I never thought I was particularly sloppy. I hit my chords but I'm probably closer to emulating Joe Strummer and other punkish exuberants, even on acoustic. I'm still looking at getting an Epi LP Custom so we'll see what happens. Cheers!

Keep in mind that a lot of people on forums with anything to do with Gibson anything are bloos players whose entire sonic vocabulary (sorry, toooooone) consists of single notes and double stops. I used to be one of 'those people' in my heavy metal wannabe days. I've since learned that loosening up your picking hand pays dividends in terms of chord enunciation and fluidity, so I deal with the side effects. You get used to the switch after a while, but even I still hit it occasionally, rarely enough to move it, though. These days, I play my ES-125 most of the time, and the bigger body puts the switch further away from the picking hand, so I don't worry about it at all.

It's okay to be a more expressive, loose guitar player. Plus, it means less chance of making blues lawyer "constipation station" faces while playing. Always a good thing.

It's okay to be a more expressive, loose guitar player. Plus, it means less chance of making blues lawyer "constipation station" faces while playing. Always a good thing.

When I'm playing I usually have the look of someone who has forgotten where they are [razz]. Which is accurate. That's probably why I don't notice what my right hand is doing.

Yours sound like an informed opinion. Any tips for us crap guitarists?

No need to take the urine. It is just a matter of personal style old chap. That and that alone. For those of you that go in for Who windmill technique then I'm sure that hitting the switch will happen periodically. Your choice. PS, I'm not saying you (personally) do any such thing.

Most of my rhythm playing is based on wrist action alone - I don't move my arm much. Never have - it is just the way I was taught when I started (BBC jazz orchestra player) and it is a habit I locked into. The guy also taught me to play over the neck pickup rather than rest my hand on the bridge and that is something I still do as I much prefer the tone from the neck pickup. But it is easy to move my hand rearwards onto the bridge as and when I need to. Being able to pick single notes over the neck or bridge I feel is an advantage.

Bigger question is whether I'm any good. And the answer to that is NO! [biggrin]

That's cool. I'm just kidding around.

What type of music do you play?

Thanks Junior. See reply above to merciful.

I regard myself as a (useless) jazz player but really I am more blues than anything else.

Not into thrash or anything like it although interestingly enough - talking about the Who and Townsend's famous "windmill" one of my favourite Who tunes is Pinball Wizard which I occasionally play when the fancy takes me!

No need to take the urine. It is just a matter of personal style old chap. That and that alone. For those of you that go in for Who windmill technique then I'm sure that hitting the switch will happen periodically. Your choice. PS, I'm not saying you (personally) do any such thing.

Most of my rhythm playing is based on wrist action alone - I don't move my arm much. Never have - it is just the way I was taught when I started (BBC jazz orchestra player) and it is a habit I locked into. The guy also taught me to play over the neck pickup rather than rest my hand on the bridge and that is something I still do as I much prefer the tone from the neck pickup. But it is easy to move my hand rearwards onto the bridge as and when I need to. Being able to pick single notes over the neck or bridge I feel is an advantage.

Bigger question is whether I'm any good. And the answer to that is NO! [biggrin]

Ahhh.. there you have it. The benefits of being tutored! I never took a lesson, but hold it the right way up most of the time. [thumbup]

Seriously though, I too dwell over the neck pickup most of the time but cant rest my palm heel on the bridge when I do this (hand isnt large enough) so the only support I get is my forearm in contact with the lower bout. It could make a difference I suppose.

I cant even test the guitar this happens on. Its been at the luthier's for 7 weeks now. I am missing it too.

Archived