Gibson Brands Forums

Which player?

LarryUK

If you could sit with any guitarist, dead or alive and have a lesson or just jam with him/her. Who would it be?

I think I'd sit with Steve Lukather as he's such a competent player.

Would it be the player you aspire to be or someone else?

Several forum members I can think of, but won't play favourites publicly...

So I'll have a session with Fast Eddie Clarke please - I just reckon I'd enjoy his company as well as getting some playing tips (and a few beers).

If you could sit with any guitarist, dead or alive and have a lesson or just jam with him/her. Who would it be?

I've been fortunate enough to do just that.

2947898805_f318125c8f_o.jpg

Here's a photo of Bucky Pizzarelli from about ten years ago, sitting on the sofa in my music room with my L-5. The reverse angle would show me trying to play his Benedetto 7-string. Following the jam/lesson, it was upstairs for a huge sit-down Italian feast with family and friends, and then off to closing night of Bucky's concert run here in St. Louis. I most recently saw him just a couple of weeks ago. Now in his early 90's, he's still traveling the world with his jazzbox.

I'm sure most of you are not familiar with Bucky, so if you have any interest in learning about one of the great "gentlemen of jazz", give him a google.

For me, it would be different; being able to sit with a person and get inside of their head as opposed to sitting and learning / jamming. So here are my answers-

Sitting / talking: Charlie Christian, Phil Keaggey (Christian always fascinated me- Keaggey I'd just frustrate during a lesson or jam...but would love to get to know him better!)

Lesson / jamming: Jimi Hendrix, Warren Haynes (I've admired Jimi since the day I first heard him. Warren, well I love his approach / phrasing and just how immersed he is in his music and bands.)

Brian

I think I would have to make my choice based not only on someone I admire as a player/musician, but someone who seems to be a down-to-earth real human being. You know, not someone who I imagine it would be awkward and weird talking with. So...

Dead- SRV

Alive - Warren Haynes

I would love to sit and chat with Jack White or Dave Grohl just cos they are such enthusiastic music fans.. I think talking to either of them about music and guitar would be cool..

Lessons.. Hmm, that's harder... Id love to play with Angus, Hendrix, Page or Slash the most.

And of course I think Gilmour and Beck would be just as fascinating to talk to as well as jam with (but I am a mere mortal and would not deserve that honour :))

So I cant choose one.. theres too many for different reasons.. (you can add any of the old blues players to that list too)

Here's a photo of Bucky Pizzarelli

Judging by this, and I could list quite a few to this end... Are you by any chance a fan of the album Stephane Grappelli and Joe Venuti did with Barney Kessel on guitfiddle?

Similar topic on another board recently. I'd have to rent an auditorium and have people like Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore, T Bone Walker, Jimi, James Burton, Roy Clark, Albert Lee, Sonny Landreth, Duane, Warren Haynes, Clapton, SRV, BB, Tommy Emmanuel, well, you get the idea...kinda like potato chips, you can't stop at just one.

Archived