Gibson Brands Forums

A wonderful interview with Sir Paul

daveinspain

I've been listening to a lot of Beatles lately during my hour long commute. I've been listening to them since I saw them on Ed Sullivan and we had the "Meet the Beatles" LP spinning on the early 50s RCA record player (I still have both btw). With the fidelity of the stereo in the Impala and the solitude of the drive, I have been able to listen more closely than ever before, trying to decipher Ringo's beats, confused by George's little Gretsch spanks and barks, utterly befuddled by Paul's bass lines that often seem to have NOTHING to do with the song and yet fit perfectly, and also befuddled by John and Paul's harmonies.... I'm convinced that they AND George Martin were either geniuses, madmen, or both, and the synergy brought out something that had never been done before.

And I'm not a "Beatles are God" type, I just recognize that it was more than just four kids who banged out some tunes.

One cut is an early reject of "Love me Do". What a mess. How they took the rough edges off that and made it into a sellable single, I'll never know. I wish the cameras had been rolling during sessions like this.

I've been listening to a lot of Beatles lately during my hour long commute. I've been listening to them since I saw them on Ed Sullivan and we had the "Meet the Beatles" LP spinning on the early 50s RCA record player (I still have both btw). With the fidelity of the stereo in the Impala and the solitude of the drive, I have been able to listen more closely than ever before, trying to decipher Ringo's beats, confused by George's little Gretsch spanks and barks, utterly befuddled by Paul's bass lines that often seem to have NOTHING to do with the song and yet fit perfectly, and also befuddled by John and Paul's harmonies.... I'm convinced that they AND George Martin were either geniuses, madmen, or both, and the synergy brought out something that had never been done before.

And I'm not a "Beatles are God" type, I just recognize that it was more than just four kids who banged out some tunes.

One cut is an early reject of "Love me Do". What a mess. How they took the rough edges off that and made it into a sellable single, I'll never know. I wish the cameras had been rolling during sessions like this.

Theres plenty of audio recordings of them at the studio on youtube.. There is some footage but some of it is so old theres no sound (so they put some music on)

I read this a couple of months back.

Always thought of Paul as pure class. This video shows the same.

I would love to meet him someday. But I seriously dont believe I would be able to talk.

Only 2 of my heroes in life are still alive. He is one of em,

Always thought of Paul as pure class.

I read the book "Fab" (unauthorized bio of Macca). The nicest thing said about him is that he's a "Charming user". Ouch. I've read more than a few books about the Beatles, and one thing keep floating to the top: Macca has an ego.

I think it interesting that in their post Beatles careers, 3 of the 4 would work together, but nobody wanted to work with Paul. Even today, if you can read some body language, Ringo is kind of "yeah, okay" if you see them together. Again, YMMV, but I'm not a real Paul fan.

Archived