Gibson Brands Forums

EB-1 strap button?

z0mbee

I have recently become the proud owner of an Epiphone EB1, from 1998 according to the serial number.

The guy in the guitar shop knew what it was, but doesn't seem to have had all of the parts when he acquired it second-hand. He had taken the pick guard off for an aborted sale, but has told me that a replacement is on order.

However, when I pointed out that the bridge-end strap button is missing, he seems to have given me a bog-standard replacement. My understanding is that the original button has some kind of jig that allows it to fit in the large hole also intended for the telescopic stand.

Can anyone confirm this? If the original one is simply lost, is there anywhere still making replacements, or am I going to have to do something drastic like filling in the hole or screwing a normal strap button into the Body?

I have recently become the proud owner of an Epiphone EB1, from 1998 according to the serial number.

The guy in the guitar shop knew what it was, but doesn't seem to have had all of the parts when he acquired it second-hand. He had taken the pick guard off for an aborted sale, but has told me that a replacement is on order.

However, when I pointed out that the bridge-end strap button is missing, he seems to have given me a bog-standard replacement. My understanding is that the original button has some kind of jig that allows it to fit in the large hole also intended for the telescopic stand.

Can anyone confirm this? If the original one is simply lost, is there anywhere still making replacements, or am I going to have to do something drastic like filling in the hole or screwing a normal strap button into the Body?

I can confirm that it did have a telescopic stand that extended to allow it to be played like an upright bass. not sure if they are still available or where you could get one though. sorry

Thanks - I'm pretty sure the guy never had the stand, which is fine as I don't think I'd ever use it beyond the novelty value. I'm a bit more concerned about the strap button as the pictures I've seen of it in situ suggest it is on the end of a large plug which fits in the hole for the stand.

Assuming they aren't in production any more (or held in stock somewhere by Epiphone?), does anyone with more woodwork knowledge than me(!) know of a way to get a small screw into a large hole?

Archived