Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Shop factory tour

Rabs

Just a quick video of some of the processes Gibson use.. And you can see the Plek machine in action briefly...

Man what I wouldn't give for some of those tools and jigs :)

Wow that was cool. I especially liked how they did the binding. I'm sure you enjoyed that too Rabs. The router jig to trim the fretboard binding is too cool, so is that fret hammer/clipper tool. All in all a surprising amount of hand detail there

Exellent video. After watching that, I'll never complain about the cost of Gibson guitars. Thanks for posting.

That's nothing.. if you haven't ever seen it check this vid.. it goes through almost all the processes from start to finish.. and yes, that's why they cost so much.. its not the materials (even though flamy maple in particular is very expensive), its the man hours involved.

Rabs, the highlight for me was the workers and the passion they have for the instruments. It was awesome how they made me feel at home and chatted. One guy talked about his passion for arch tops and how his father passed down an L5 to him.

I was impressed with the custom shop tour and it was hard to pick out one thing. It was cool to see them working on mandolins there as well.

I played a bunch of finished guitars, that was a fun highlight. But I also enjoyed watching the guy set the neck to the body.

It was overload and just a great tour. I went through the Gibson USA, Memphis, Epiphone and the Gibson custom shop tours. My favourite is still the custom shop, but the others were impressive as well.

Archived