Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - needed some roar

duluthdan

Been a long while since I had a Rosewood Dread. After scouring a bit, finally settled on a straight vanilla non-scalloped D-35.. Sounds great, plays great. A quick pic. Oh and yes, Sal I am going to blame it on you... [biggrin]

image.jpg1_zps5537vqpp.jpg

Nice one Duluth, I see a label in side, is it a new one.

While I was looking at your photo, my wife says " what a great looking yard and chair"

I said I'm looking at the guitar, she says it looks just like yours

Enjoy Dan

Nice one Duluth, I see a label in side, is it a new one.

While I was looking at your photo, my wife says " what a great looking yard and chair"

I said I'm looking at the guitar, she says it looks just like yours

Enjoy Dan

Yes, its new, a 2015. The deck / chairs and flowers are not mine, I'm 4 states away from home. But... for the right price, I ship them to you... [biggrin]

Been a long while since I had a Rosewood Dread. After scouring a bit, finally settled on a straight vanilla non-scalloped D-35.. Sounds great, plays great. A quick pic. Oh and yes, Sal I am going to blame it on you... [biggrin]

image.jpg1_zps5537vqpp.jpg

Very nice Martin D-35. It likely will roar as my HD-28 did! And the top woods look book matched and not stained or run out. Martin is good at making those. Good luck with it! Martin makes a fine flawless guitar that's for sure.

Lieutenant Dan!

That's awesome. I cheerfully take responsibility. I love mine. Its my favorite of all the Martins I have owned... and there have been a few. How did I miss this thread?

I was just finishing up playing mine for about a half hour in dropped D. Thumb alternating. I got me a song I wrote.... I just need words now. Where is a poet when you need one?

Congrats on a fine-looking D35. LOVE those guitars. I opted for an M36 in order to get a slightly slimmer body shape. But a nice Martin should be in everyone's stable, alongside a Gibson or two. Or three.

I love the idea that a woman sees the pic and loves the chair and flowers. Whenever I'm just off the phone with a music buddy, my gf always asks how so and so is doing and what is he up to and all I can tell her is what new guitar he bought and what musicians he's been listening to lately. She looks at me in amazement. You didn't ask him how his daughter is? How his wife is? His son? Nope, it never came up. He did, however, re-watch Gimme Shelter and is thinking about a Hummingbird.

Priorities eh?

Congrats on a fine-looking D35. LOVE those guitars. I opted for an M36 in order to get a slightly slimmer body shape. But a nice Martin should be in everyone's stable, alongside a Gibson or two. Or three.

I love the idea that a woman sees the pic and loves the chair and flowers. Whenever I'm just off the phone with a music buddy, my gf always asks how so and so is doing and what is he up to and all I can tell her is what new guitar he bought and what musicians he's been listening to lately. She looks at me in amazement. You didn't ask him how his daughter is? How his wife is? His son? Nope, it never came up. He did, however, re-watch Gimme Shelter and is thinking about a Hummingbird.

Priorities eh?

And when one visits, you have all that BEFORE he shows you a new tune.....and away ......

BluesKing777.

That is a great looking guitar, Dan. I played one recently at a local shop and it DID roar! It was easy to play and I loved it's feel. Congratulations. Now, you just have to figure out how to get it back home across those 4 states without the glue softening up in the hot weather!

I think I have one more high end guitar in me.

I would like to have a nice Martin. The M-36 is very interesting as well. I think I may go try one this weekend.

Any thoughts on the M-36 Smurfbird?

Nice one Dan, seems like the forum has gone all giddy on D-35's. Its almost like the AGF with their current J-45 'awakening'.

I do understand the need for some roar and heavy michinery, my Martin J-40 serves that purpose...

Nice one Dan, seems like the forum has gone all giddy on D-35's. Its almost like the AGF with their current J-45 'awakening'.

I do understand the need for some roar and heavy michinery, my Martin J-40 serves that purpose...

Sadly, I agree. Experiencing the dawn of an awakening? My SJ200 can move some air - but it is a tad larger than I wish it were. Hard to sit on the couch with it for hours.

But - Congrats!! Duluth - you'll never be able to answer the question "Does it LOOK better, or SOUND better?"

Sadly, I agree. Experiencing the dawn of an awakening? My SJ200 can move some air - but it is a tad larger than I wish it were. Hard to sit on the couch with it for hours.

But - Congrats!! Duluth - you'll never be able to answer the question "Does it LOOK better, or SOUND better?"

Yes I agree those J-200's can be very large on a sopha.

The Gibson Advanced Jumbos have the same Rosewood approach, and I played quite a few lloking for the combination of growl and tone - but did not seem to be able to find one that really revved up like this D-35. Brings me full cicle to my Neil Yound days. Its interesting to me how certain gutars sort of lend themselves to certain artists and songs. I strapped this one on, and songs I'd writen in the 90s and had forgotten sprang back into focus, as they had been writen on my now gone HD-35.

Archived