Gibson Brands Forums

Stolen Instrument in Kalamazoo

duluthdan

Bummer. Being a ukulele fan it's sad to see an old one like that fall into the hands of some fool that doesn't appreciate it for what it is. And that it belonged to someone so intimately attached to the Gibson brand makes it even worse. What's the matter with people today?!?

I recently acquired a Gibson Style 3 much like that one. The photo does not seem to show a "The Gibson" headstock logo.......it's a single line of just "Gibson", which would generally indicate an instrument built later than 1928. The history I've been able to dig up says "The" was dropped sometime in 1929 with some exceptions, I'm sure, as is Gibson's way. And if Mr Bellson began working for Gibson in the 30s as the story says, and assisted in the building of the ukulele, it can't be from the 20s, which explains the "Gibson" headstock logo. My Style 3 does have a "The Gibson" headstock logo, slanted rather than straight across, which points to the mid-20s for a build era.

Hopefully it will be recovered, but as we know, such recoveries are rare..............

Once in a while folks around the globe join together through the magic of the Internet to do a good deed.

That happened tonight. "On Wednesday night, Kalamazoo Township Police told Newschannel 3 that the ukulele was anonymously dropped off at the owner’s home. The ukulele was in perfect condition when it was dropped off and police say the family is simply thrilled to have had it returned in pristine condition."

Story here.

Thanks to the thousands who shared this story.

Excellent. Maybe there's still some hope for the creep who stole it......... There have always been lowlifes, but it seems today that society values life less than ever before. Stealing isn't such a big deal anymore. Sad times, but at least this family has the uke back.

some good news! (for a change)

edit: hah hah, should have refreshed ;)

-------------------

Update Wednesday night, July 29, 2015:

Once in a while folks around the globe join together through the magic of the Internet to do a good deed.

That happened tonight. "On Wednesday night, Kalamazoo Township Police told Newschannel 3 that the ukulele was anonymously dropped off at the owner’s home. The ukulele was in perfect condition when it was dropped off and police say the family is simply thrilled to have had it returned in pristine condition."

Well hurrah! And amazing as well! I think it quite uncommon that a thief would suffer guilt pangs and return a stolen item.....if that's what really happened. Who knows at this point and it really doesn't matter - the instrument is back where it belongs! Thanks for the update, jt!

Well hurrah! And amazing as well! I think it quite uncommon that a thief would suffer guilt pangs and return a stolen item.....if that's what really happened. Who knows at this point and it really doesn't matter - the instrument is back where it belongs! Thanks for the update, jt!

Oh, I'm guessing that guilt had little to do with the return. I posted my FJ piece to Facebook, where it was shared over 2,000 times, and on Twitter. I also did interviews with all Kalamazoo TV stations and newspapers (via phone because I live on the east coast). There simply was no way to fence the thing. Heck, uke collectors in Europe had broadcast the alert. So, after the news stories ran last night, the thief, under cover of dark, put the uke on the owner's doorstep and made an anonymous call to the police.

I'd like to give a particular shout-out to Duluth Dan who worked mightily to share the story.

Archived