Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a genuine Les Paul?

Bartek

Hi Folks!

I stumbled upon a guitar described as 100% American Les Paul. I tried it, and I'm not convinced. First I'm confused with truss rod cover that says "Les Paul Custom", but there's no diamond on the headstock. Also, the neck seems to be made of two pieces of wood, which seems unusual to me.

They guy wants to sell it for $1600.

I took some pictures, I'd appreciate if you could express your opinions.

Here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u7zbq9hy0z4x7ql/AAAdNVPPBN0-DMezbtp407pka?dl=0 all pics in big res.

Many thanks,

Bartek

post-73255-064374100 1438180532_thumb.jpg

post-73255-012028500 1438180539_thumb.jpg

post-73255-014763200 1438180578_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

I am not convinced about it's authenticity.

First, why would anyone scarf-joint a Gibson headstock to any guitar? Headstock breakage is not repaired that way!

Wrong bridge (might be a replacement, though), poor quality pickup surround rings. Seemingly off-placed pots.

Making me more suspicious, is the absense of complete body shots.

I'd stay away.

Good luck... Bence

I also got this photo of the whole body. Not the best quality but may help.

I saw the guitar and played it. The switch is lose and doesn't turn on pickups firmly. The knobs are no different than on my Epiphone LP Standard, while I expected better quality.

Thanks for your replies. I'd rather stay away as you advised.

post-73255-089090300 1438182734_thumb.jpg

YIKES...

so so fake... and that burst looks awful... Plus the truss rod cover says Custom.. If it were a real gibby, it certainly shows no sign of a custom guitar... its just all wrong (let alone that scarf joint [crying] )..

Booooooo! [thumbdn]

Someone needs to report the seller if they are selling it as Gibson

Well, yeah, I immediately told the seller I had my doubts about this one's authenticity to which he replied he would send me pictures of the certificate (as he didn't have it with him at the time). Never sent, though...

Many thanks for all your responses. I learnt a lot.

Cheers,

Bartek

Horrible Fake. They even tried to mess with the width of Les's signature, but only in one place. That guy is a thief and should be reported to Gibson. They will prostitute, er prosecute that loser. He paid about $230 for that mess. Kick his butt. Did You actually go over to his house? You should go back and kick his butt for trying to steal a large chunk of change from You.Actually, You should get the police involved. I believe $1600 would constitute a Grand a Larceny. That's no different than writing You a bad check for $1370. Go after the dirty thief. He is just plain SCUM.

Don't you love how the nut is shimmed with scraps of paper & the scarf Joint almost looks like one on a Jackson/Charvel

IF that's Real Les Paul that's had it's headstock broken severely off & comes with an original case it's worth $300

A real luthier would have charged some change to make a headstock/neck etc. A real luthier would have put a new nut on it too!!

RUN AWAY!! [thumbdn]

ANY time You EVER see a scarf joint in the neck, like the running joint below the headstock, run like H*ll. And if You get a chance to punch the idiot for lying to You and trying to steal money from You, smack that sucker HARD! He's trying to take money from Your kids, or worse yet, YOU!

You know at first I though that someone had put a Gibby headstock on an Epi or something...

I now don't even think the head is real...

It seems like a one piece headstock and Gibson don't do that.. they use wings and its usually obvious where the join is... that guitars headstock I cant see any join lines.. even the shape of the open book top doesn't look defined enough

image0dcdscds06_zpsoztts0mz.jpg

imagescscsc002_zps8phnvpr2.jpg

Like, this is the back of my LP Classic.. very obvious

DSC_0002_zps48uuah67.jpg

And even when painted its usually easy to see the join lines

DSC_0013_zps5fygkqlw.jpg

First, why would anyone scarf-joint a Gibson headstock to any guitar? Headstock breakage is not repaired that way!

That is incorrect. In extreme cases, a new headstock will be scarfed on.

However, in that case, the joint would be in a completely different direction. The scarf would start at the nut, and angle down towards the back of the neck. This is obviously not the case here.

I guess you will not be surprised that the seller virtually dissappeared.

Meanwhile I found another Les Paul standard, which I'm sure isn't fake, but the guy wants 2800$ which is way more than my budget. :)

I guess you will not be surprised that the seller virtually disappeared.

me -> Shocked! (not!)

I suppose with the current street prices for NEW les pauls, this has pushed the used market up as well.

Archived