Gibson Brands Forums

Es 335 change tuners to klusions possible

turtle

Hi guys - first off Id like to thank all of you for the encouragement and help when I traded my les paul for a minty 335 in cherry. I've finally controlled the reigns an I'm really digging The sound and playability. I changed the 11's to 10's, raised the action, and adjusted the truss rod. It playe nice before with no buzzing etc, but I like the higher action feel as I play slide and really dig into neck when I play.

Anyway_ I feel the grovers are kinda "loose" feeling. All my other gibsons 2 LP ans SG have old school klusions and feel nice and tight with never an issue. I will say the 335 stays in tune perfectly in and out of the case as never tune it up. When I change tunings or capo with it, they feel like they have slack. Is this normal for these tuners? I do love the klusions and this might seem bass ackwards, but is it possible to change em to klusion easily? Or is there a way to tighten up the grovers? I don't want to change em if it's an easy tweak. Thanks again guys. Your help is always appreciated 👍👍

I am not positive which Grovers are installed on your 335 but I think you probably have 15:1 ratio machines that Gibson has been putting on these guitars for a while now.

Having been used to higher ratio tuners myself I was not so cozy with them at first. I am an eternal tinkerer and have thought long and hard about changing to the 18:1 Grovers. I have done just that on my Epiphone. They did make a positive difference on that guitar. I have not done anything to my 335 at all though, other than have my luthier touch up the nut for a wound third/ heavier bottom set of strings. Not sure why but I am loathe to mess with this guitar because it sounds so perfect. I guess what I am rambling on about is the fact that there is nothing wrong with the stock tuners but they do feel 'looser' because of the low ratio. Adding that Grover makes an 18:1 that is a drop in replacement. Also, with the Grovers, you can tighten the button screws to make them have more drag.

Good luck,

jv

I just did this to a Satin 335 that I received about three weeks ago, however I replaced them with Grover Vintage button keystone tuners. I just liked that look on that particular guitar. The Grovers keystones function very nicely as do the rotomatics ( which I switched onto another guitar).

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed the same loose feeling on my new '15 335 with Grover tuners, probably the same as yours. It stays in tune great and I love the tone so I don't have much motivation to mess with it. But when I do go to tune it, I'm not a fan of that feeling. I may end up looking into the 18:1 ratio tuners. Thanks for the info guys.

Also, with the Grovers, you can tighten the button screws to make them have more drag.

This may be crucial in case anybody missed it. You can really snug up the buttons and you need to periodically retighten the screws on the buttons. Some tuners have no screws on the buttons such as Gibson Vintage Deluxe Tuners with the plastic buttons. The Grovers have the screws on the buttons and for a very good reason. It is an added control over the feel of the tuners as you tune the guitar.

Archived