Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Pauls Killing Me--Which One?

bacongrease

I've always wanted a LP. Now is a good time to get into it I just don't know where to start. Spend a little more & get one that looks grand or keep costs low & get the Special? The Slash AFD Special II looks great too. Guess I can't go wrong. If it matters, it would be used for mostly clean rhythm, not metal or hard rock. What do you recommend?

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul.aspx

I've always wanted a LP. Now is a good time to get into it I just don't know where to start. Spend a little more & get one that looks grand or keep costs low & get the Special? The Slash AFD Special II looks great too. Guess I can't go wrong. If it matters, it would be used for mostly clean rhythm, not metal or hard rock. What do you recommend?

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul.aspx

Les Paul Tribute Plus!

You're wanting new? I'm shopping for my first LP also, but looking at used.

If you don't know yet, visit a store and try some out. There can be a big difference in feel as well as sound. I agree, too many nice guitars to choose from.

Pick one that you like to play and that you'll want to look at for years. Then play and be happy!

Good luck! Post pictures when you choose.

New or used no matter.

The Tribute Plus seems like it's right for me. It has the Gibson 57 HB's & slim neck. Pretty too.

Has anyone bought a less expensive LP and installed better pickups into it?

I am not a Les Paul kind of guy but every Tribute Plus I've played made me want one! The real deal!!!!!!!!

I hate to encourage others into my hunting ground but if you'll check Guitar Center's used area you may find what you're looking for at a reasonable price. Maybe even a very good deal. I don't know your budget or taste but maybe you'd like a Custom for $300. They're out there right now. The best time for looking at guitars is when you're about to get one. Enjoy the search. Afterwards, a bit anticlimactic.

Good hunting!

I hate to encourage others into my hunting ground but if you'll check Guitar Center's used area you may find what you're looking for at a reasonable price. Maybe even a very good deal. I don't know your budget or taste but maybe you'd like a Custom for $300. They're out there right now. The best time for looking at guitars is when you're about to get one. Enjoy the search. Afterwards, a bit anticlimactic.

Good hunting!

There's a blue Tribute+ at a fair price.

I bought an Epiphone Custom Pro Les Paul in antique Ivory. I actually preferred the Epiphone pickups against the Gibsons and the Epiphone was beautifully made. The only downside for me was the weight so now I use a 339. Lovely versatile guitar.

I bought an Epiphone Custom Pro Les Paul in antique Ivory. I actually preferred the Epiphone pickups against the Gibsons and the Epiphone was beautifully made. The only downside for me was the weight so now I use a 339. Lovely versatile guitar.

Oh man, that antique ivory is a favorite of mine. Even when I didn't want a LP I thought they looked super.

• 3 months later...

I just got my les paul standard plus top pro yesterday,and i have to say it is a sweet piece.I like some of the specs on the tribute,but not the finishes so much,so i opted for the cheaper plus top pro.Ordered it from sweet water,and it was ready to go right out of the box,and she is beautiful.You can't go wrong with either of these.Happy hunting

I just got my les paul standard plus top pro yesterday,and i have to say it is a sweet piece.I like some of the specs on the tribute,but not the finishes so much,so i opted for the cheaper plus top pro.Ordered it from sweet water,and it was ready to go right out of the box,and she is beautiful.You can't go wrong with either of these.Happy hunting

Welcome here, mate! Some pics of your new Epi LP would be nice [love][rolleyes]

My advice to you is to get exactly what you want. Don't spend a dime on a guitar that can leave you with a regret later. Having more guitars is not better, if you don't like some of them. If you want killer looking so you can get that thrill when you catch it on the stand out of the corner of your eye, that is a serious personal consideration. The gentleman who said you should check the Guitar Center used boards was dead on as well. I picked up a Limited Edition in Trans Black from those boards for $280 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a lot harder to pick one off of ePay because most of the population who are selling guitars on there are too stupid to put it in the right category or even identify it properly. I hate to sound obnoxious about that, but if you do a couple of searches you'll find out I'm right. Either way, decide exactly what you really want and go for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived