Gibson Brands Forums

New Tele build project

surfpup

That looks ab-so-lute-ly immaculate!

You're not tempted by a matching gold headstock then?

Thanks! Not too tempted. Though in hindsight, I'm sure Mick had enough gold left to spray the headstock. :unsure:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completed the shielding today, then had to pack up for a gig so that's all I got done.

Copper foil in every cavity - seams soldered - each cavity linked together with wire for fully shielded goodness.

The tabs on each cavity will connect to the bridge, control plate, and the pickguard shielding foil. It oughta

be dead quiet now. [thumbup]

IMG_5611.jpg

Nice. Tele's always look sharp with body binding.

I agree! But man is it time consuming. My buddy Mick said he will never paint a bound guitar again. So much taping and scraping. No small wonder that LP standards cost more than studios!

Thanks, man. Of course it works best if you do the pickguard too.

IMG_5616.jpg

So those copper tabs connect to the foil on the the back of the 'guard, and then eventually to the bridge, which is of course grounded? That was your thinking? I had no idea that shielding had to be grounded as well! The things you learn!

So those copper tabs connect to the foil on the the back of the 'guard, and then eventually to the bridge, which is of course grounded? That was your thinking? I had no idea that shielding had to be grounded as well! The things you learn!

I'm sure it doesn't "need" to be - but I think it helps. I stole the idea from here. http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php I did this on my other Tele and it hushed it right up. [thumbup]

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the Tele, but I did get the bridge, jack cup, pickups and pick guard in place.

All I really need to do is wire it up, string it up, and set it up. I'll tell you one thing, this Callaham bridge

assembly weighs twice what most Tele bridge assemblies weigh. It's a beasty piece of billet!

IMG_5619.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

Super nice! Congratulations!

The bad thing about Your thread, that it makes me want to build one too. (I have too many pending plans already). Never mind!

Very tasty, great looking guitar! [thumbup]

Best wishes... Bence

me too Bence (plans for Telecasters that is) - three in fact:

1. black guard on matt black body, rosewood board, Strat headstock, single P90, onboard active boost - a 'rat rod' of a thing.

2. Faded 'candy apple blue' body with white guard - double bound as per a custom, rosewood board. otherwise stock.

3. a Wilko Johnson replica - maybe aged.

having 3 ideas is helpful I find, as not being able to make up your mind delays jumping in and having another 1-3 more instruments than you need! [biggrin]

Thanks guys! I'm waiting on a treble bleed circuit I ordered from a guy on eBay. But I might just slap one together myself (I don't have quite the right value cap and resistor laying around) or I might just finish up without it. Either way it's gonna get strung up and played this weekend! [thumbup]

Last treble bleed I installed was on my Gretschbwith filtertrons and that thing works great, the taper of the pot improved significantly

The pot is a push pull so I can engage the treble need only when I want to that way fuzz pedals don't sound funny,

Oh and the treble bleed I got was from tv jones, whatever values he uses.

Last treble bleed I installed was on my Gretschbwith filtertrons and that thing works great, the taper of the pot improved significantly

The pot is a push pull so I can engage the treble need only when I want to that way fuzz pedals don't sound funny,

Oh and the treble bleed I got was from tv jones, whatever values he uses.

Yeah, I put them on everything that I'm likely to gig with. It makes the volume knob so much more usable.

Archived