Gibson Brands Forums

New Tele build project

surfpup

So it all started with this video I posted... the young kid on the left has a sweet looking gold Tele - and I began to lust..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uChl4lmfk

Turns out these were available in the late 60s - double bound - but are quite rare and pricey these days. The custom shop

has some occasionally for around $4k. Not in my price range. So I decided to make a partser. Basically this is what I want...

Miami2-March2009.jpg

Fortunately for me I have a good friend who makes guitars and does excellent paint work, so my plan is to buy a bound Tele style body and have him paint it in Gibson goldtop gold.

Maple neck and mahogany body are purchased and are at Mick's for painting... This project is up and running! Wish me luck!

Tele%20Parts.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you get the body and neck?

Both from eBay. My builder friend helped me pick them. The body is double bound - hard to tell from that pic. It was cheap because it has a flaw or two which Mick will fill before painting. The neck is 9.5 radius with a bone nut and vintage tint nitro-cellulose - for tone ya know. :rolleyes:

Both from eBay. My builder friend helped me pick them. The body is double bound - hard to tell from that pic. It was cheap because it has a flaw or two which Mick will fill before painting. The neck is 9.5 radius with a bone nut and vintage tint nitro-cellulose - for tone ya know. :rolleyes:

I'm glad for ya'.

You're doing something I've essentially wanted to do for some time now, but haven't had the spare cash.

I like the idea of the Gibson Gold Top.

Are you going to use a standard neck pickup or maybe go with a humbucker?

Good luck! [thumbup]

Wish I had time to do something like this.

I have been dreaming of a Strat build. Mahogany body with ebony boarded neck. Mmmmm.

Four pickups, at least! Á la Steve Morse... :rolleyes:

Would be nice!

Cheers... Bence

Are you going to use a standard neck pickup or maybe go with a humbucker?

I'm going to use a full sized humbucker in the neck of this one. Already ordered the pickguard. I just haven't decided on a pickup yet.

So it all started with this video I posted... the young kid on the left has a sweet looking gold Tele - and I began to lust..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uChl4lmfk

Turns out these were available in the late 60s - double bound - but are quite rare and pricey these days. The custom shop

has some occasionally for around $4k. Not in my price range. So I decided to make a partser. Basically this is what I want...

Miami2-March2009.jpg

Fortunately for me I have a good friend who makes guitars and does excellent paint work, so my plan is to buy a bound Tele style body and have him paint it in Gibson goldtop gold.

Maple neck and mahogany body are purchased and are at Mick's for painting... This project is up and running! Wish me luck!

Tele%20Parts.jpg

It looks to be a real head turner! I have made (pieced together) 2 Tele with parts bought on E bay. I have a nice collection of guitars but, lacked one with a maple neck. After playing for 53 yr. I wanted to try making a guitar. The maple neck really gets that sharp hot picking style with harmonics popping everywhere. I put a Lace cream sensor pickup at the neck, and, a Fender Hot pickup at the bridge. Took me about 35-40 hours and was great fun. I play the guitar pretty often. I painted -coated it with clear coat, but, have wrapped the body in leather,: various artsy flashy jewelry; and even hanging feathers...all for fun. Would be a great project for a father and son. Have fun! Oh, I will show some pics after I figure out how to download.

Now you have every body on the forum looking through eBay for a double-bound mahogany telecaster body. Of which none can be found.

Thank you for the gas.

Ha! Wait till you see it painted! It should be a looker - and rather unique. I ordered all the hardware from Callaham - IMO their stuff is absolutely the best.

Their pic displays a blackguard which I am not using...

t_hdkit4.jpg

I don't know 'pup, that black pick guard on the gold body... you might be surprised by it.

I've found black on gold looks great.

Oh, I agree. But Callaham doesn't rout so I had them remove the pickguard from the order and I ordered one from Warmoth with a humbucker rout in the neck. I opted for three ply parchment instead of black.

BTW, look at what Fed Ex just delivered... full vintage kit from Bill Callaham. I only ordered this like two days ago... that's good service.

IMG_5511.jpg

How many of his pickups have you owned?

4 different models, but then again I only have 2 electrics :P. A custom P90 for my Melody Maker, which is basically his "Meaner" P90 with a modified baseplate, and a Dr. Vintage, Cub, and Marshallhead in my Charvel (HSH).

-Ryan

4 different models, but then again I only have 2 electrics :P. A custom P90 for my Melody Maker, which is basically his "Meaner" P90 with a modified baseplate, and a Dr. Vintage, Cub, and Marshallhead in my Charvel (HSH).

-Ryan

I've heard good things about the Dr. Vintage (the Marshallheads too - but maybe a bit hot for this project). I listened to the Dr. Vintage quite a bit before I bought the WCR Crossroads set for my LP Standard.

I've heard good things about the Dr. Vintage (the Marshallheads too - but maybe a bit hot for this project). I listened to the Dr. Vintage quite a bit before I bought the WCR Crossroads set for my LP Standard.

There's also his "Legends" where, for a little bit more, he'll wind a completely custom pickup to whatever spec you want. But yeah, the Dr. Vintage is a great low-medium output PAF-style pickup.

There's also his "Legends" where, for a little bit more, he'll wind a completely custom pickup to whatever spec you want. But yeah, the Dr. Vintage is a great low-medium output PAF-style pickup.

I need to give his Cub and B!tch tele pups a listen. I dropped a good bit of cash on the Callaham hardware so I might go with GFS again since I have so many of their pups already and have been pleased - and they are so cheap. I can always upgrade later.

Archived