Gibson Brands Forums

wildwood New Vintage Sj 200 demo

JuanCarlosVejar

1438357236[/url]' post='1681005']

That big fella knows some chops doesn't he ?

Holy moly

He doesn't have regular fingers.... His right hand is like an Eagle Talon and he does some crazy hybrid plectrum finger whomperama. My fingers hurt watching it.

But hey.... I got C down... Sometimes F and G too...

I wish someone would do a comparison between two identical models where one is thermally cured and the other isn't.

I had the pleasure of obviously comparing a Hummingbird Standard with a Hummingbird Vintage (which replaced the TV in the line-up), and the V has a thermally-cured top. But the way the Standard and Vintage are built is so different. The Vintage is light as a feather, and the Standard is a little more robust and woody. So it is too many variables, whether the top or the bracing or some other factor.

1438365703[/url]' post='1681051']

He doesn't have regular fingers.... His right hand is like an Eagle Talon and he does some crazy hybrid plectrum finger whomperama. My fingers hurt watching it.

But hey.... I got C down... Sometimes F and G too...

I'm way ahead of you.. I've also mastered A, B, D & E. Next month I move onto chords. (Whatever they are.)

The F chord is brutal.

Sorry, I j cannot evaluate guitars using videos. Playing yes but guitars no. Can only go by my own ears and fingers. I am just not an easy sell.

Especially with Greg playing the guitar. He's too good and can make anything sound great.

As addicted as I am to guitar videos, and I maintain that through comparison you can (kind of) get an idea of the specific qualities of a sort of instrument generally, I have really found that, yes, the only way to know is to play it, and also to have someone else play it. And even then, room acoustics have a lot to do with it.

Microphones really color a sound, as do speakers. Heck, even in person, standing behind or above the instrument instead of in front can make a huge difference.

It's rough for folks that flat out cannot go play guitars and compare them, and that is the case for many of us. In that case, videos are pretty helpful, but still...

But if you guys meant specifically about torrefied tops, that is one thing I can comment upon with some confidence, having played (and bought) a Hummingbird with a torrefied (sorry, thermally enhanced? forget the phrase) top. I would not be able to 100% tell you the specific qualities and changes and what quantities... Comparing a Standard Hummingbird to a Vintage (torrefied top version), there are just too many other variables, specifically the bracing and perhaps even the pickguard.

But I can say that that particular guitar sounded fantastic. Would it have sounded fantastic with a brand new spruce top, too? Yeah, I'm sure. Different? Yeah, still pretty darn sure. "Better" is up to each, but I do think that, yes, it sounds more "vintage" with the torrefied top, as I think the one in this video does.

But, again, we really need another apple to compare the apple to...

Definitely a "kick butt" guitar. Love to hear an exact comparison with another J200. It sounded great, but so do most of the other guitar videos..........Anyway, the guy is a great picker. I taught him everything I know in about a minute. He added to it from there.

Archived