Gibson Brands Forums

Visiting Washington DC

Flight959

Hi Guys,

I will be visiting Washington DC in October this year. I am travelling with my wife and two children 9 and 11. [thumbup]

We are looking for a good area to stay in and at the moment my wife has suggested either Arlington or Georgetown... [confused]

Can anyone shed any light on either of these locations or other suggested places? [biggrin]

Kind Regards

Simon

I stay in Arlington every year with a slew of 8th graders. It's a solid half hour into the Capitol with morning traffic, but it's cheaper than staying closer. We stay at the Sheraton Pentagon City. It has decent rooms, a restaurant and a bar and half the rooms overlook Arlington National Cemetery.

I live in the area, but about 50 miles north of DC.

A lot depends on what you want to do and how you're getting here. I'll assume you're wanting to do the downtown DC Smithsonian type stuff. The closer you stay to a metro station the happier you will be. DC traffic sucks and parking is expensive. Metro is a great way to get around. The closest station to Georgetown is a long walk to Georgetown. Somebody mentioned Crystal City and that's a nice choice.

There are some nice hotels in DC, but pricey. If you're flying into National there's a metro station right there. Old town Alexandria is nice.

You can save some hotel money and stay further out. If you have a car most of the suburban metro stations have parking. It can be a fairly long ride downtown is the down side.

I used to work at DCA airport and in Crystal City for years. I go to and through DC several times a year, but I don't feel like a real authority on that city.

Now, if you find yourself a little further north like Annapolis or Baltimore, give me a shout and I could advise you a lot better.

There's a Holiday Inn at C and 6th. Two blocks from the mall, which is the stuff you probably want to see. We stay there when we go to the Native American Museum for Thanksgiving dinner, and I stay there for work usually. Nice place, not bad price at all, exactly where you want to be.

rct

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn (Downtown; 500 H St NW) and it quite a good hotel. Nothing too fancy, but wasn't too expensive, either. Close to everything I wanted to see (easy walking distance to Capitol and Smithsonian musuems, etc) plenty of food places around.

Archived