Gibson Brands Forums

Would you prefer Ebony or Rosewood fingerboard&bridge?

jimmyboy

Many of Gibson Acoustic today are using rosewood in stead of ebony (pre-2012).I love the ebony but how about you?Which one do you prefer?

Historically (30's/ 40's etc) Gibson used Rosewood fingerboards and bridges. I wouldn't want any Ebony fingerboard/ bridge on my Jumbo, L-00, AJ, SJ, J-45 etc.

Tough choice. I like the Ebony on Martins - might like them on a j-45. But, apparently Ebony s becoming more diffocault to source. I am fime with Rosewood. Heck, I'd probably be ok with "Richlite" too. Not that giant of a deal to me. I wonder which material choice is less prone to fingernail divots ? I am a fretboard masher and play with what some would describe is a "death grip".

Tough choice. I like the Ebony on Martins - might like them on a j-45. But, apparently Ebony s becoming more diffocault to source. I am fime with Rosewood. Heck, I'd probably be ok with "Richlite" too. Not that giant of a deal to me. I wonder which material choice is less prone to fingernail divots ? I am a fretboard masher and play with what some would describe is a "death grip".

Ebony for sure is harder, but the fretboard and bridge material also influences the tone. To me the fretboard and bridge material is a part of the Gibson tone.

BTW, clip those nails, results in much less fingerboard wear ;)

I was not aware that Gibson flattops were built with ebony or even ebonized fingerboards after around 1929. So I agree with others in that rosewood is traditional with Gibsons. Other than that I really do not care. What wood the fingerboard and bridge are made of would not be a deal maker or a deal breaker.

My two 2012 Les Pauls have baked maple fingerboards, which Gibson had switched to after losing their rosewood supply.

The color on these samples is dark, close to a rosewood shade, and the feel is similar to ebony.

Very nice stuff, which I'd be happy to have on any guitar.

Don't forget that rosewood in the old days meant Brazilian rosewood, while today it means East Indian rosewood. Big difference! Brazilian is harder and more resonant. For a short while a few years back, Gibson used Madagascar rosewood, on some models like the TV-series. MRW, I guess, is closer to BRW than EIRW.

Given a choice, I would go for BRW, MRW, then EIRW and in that order.

Lars

Don't forget that rosewood in the old days meant Brazilian rosewood, while today it means East Indian rosewood. Big difference! Brazilian is harder and more resonant. For a short while a few years back, Gibson used Madagascar rosewood, on some models like the TV-series. MRW, I guess, is closer to BRW than EIRW.

Given a choice, I would go for BRW, MRW, then EIRW and in that order.

Lars

Gibson used also Indian Rosewood in the 30's. Willi Henkes from Blazer & Henkes had the Rosewood of a 1936 Advanced Jumbo analyzed and the result was Indian Rosewood. Looks like the original AJ's were made with EIRW and I am sure not only the AJ's at this time. Looks like they used both Indian and Brazilian back then it was just Rosewood.

Gibson used also Indian Rosewood in the 30's. Willi Henkes from Blazer & Henkes had the Rosewood of a 1936 Advanced Jumbo analyzed and the result was Indian Rosewood. Looks like the original AJ's were made with EIRW and I am sure not only the AJ's at this time. Looks like they used both Indian and Brazilian back then it was just Rosewood.

Yes, I am familar with Willi's work on identifying the wood as Indian rosewood on the vintage instruments. However, I somehow thought that was just back an sides, but of course it makes sense for the fingerboard to be of the same species. By the way, Willi did some amazing work on my 1942 J-45 when I got it a few years back. He is one of the most knowledgeable luthiers in the world when it cones to old Gibsons (as well as Martins).

All that said, I still believe Brazilian is a better wood for fingerboards due to it being harder than EIRW.

To try and answer the original question, I would prefer ebony if the rosewood was EIRW. It is stiffer and will not divot as easily. Most likely it will also transfer vibrations better, helping tone. That last bit might be negliable in the end.

Lars

I can appreciate ebony. I would expect it on a Martin. I have played Gibson guitars with ebony that I loved. But if I am going to have one built, or just have to make a blanket statement, I like rosewood on my Gibson acoustics. Most of their electrics too. Maybe I'm just following the trend of tradition.

Keith

Thanks everyone for your input. Look like Ebony win the contest. Now I wonder how much Fingerboard and Bridge material has effects of the tone?

P.S.I am new to the Gibson acoustic's world. Didn't know that J-45 has ebony.Though they only use rosewood.

P.S.I am new to the Gibson acoustic's world. Didn't know that J-45 has ebony.Though they only use rosewood.

The j-45 model has historically utilized rosewood for the fingerboard & bridge, but there have been certain models that featured ebony.

One such model was ironically called the J-45 Rosewood (first seen in 1999), because the back & sides were rosewood rather than mahogany. On this model, the fingerboard & bridge are ebony. I happen to have one made in 2002, and the feel of the ebony board is smooth & quite comfy.

On the electric side, Gibson has dipped into the use of ebony with some regularity. Just in my collection alone, there are three Gibson electrics with ebony fingerboards: 1990 Tennessean, 2002 SG, 2011 ES-335.

I'm not sure but it looks like Gibson prefers Richlite For Bridges and fretboards as well as flubber for pickguards. Sigh..

Is that true? Looking at the Gibson website and going through the specs it says they use Rosewood or Walnut, no mention of Richlite. Is that new, or the website is wrong (which would be not new to Gibson)?

Archived