Gibson Brands Forums

J45 bridge replacement

Poopsidoo

Took my 100% original '65 j45,to swannanoa last week. This has been my favorite guitar for a while now. However I started having intonation issues last week and, realizing there are people on both sides of this issue, have decided since I want to be playing this the "rest of my days" and none of my boys play, I want to make this a player!

I see it as installation of strap button, removal of bridge and all screws/nuts, replacement of bridge and possibly bridge plate and installation of quality saddle, adjustment or replacement of nut, and install or a good pickup.

As I finally am "good" with this decision, I would like comments. Particularly on successful jobs in the Greenville/ Charlotte area (who did the work) and preferences on pickups. One instructor last week said K & K, another said McIntyre Feather.

My '57 J-50 is in the hands of Luthier Marcus Engstrom in Bozeman Montana, having mush of this work done. In need of a neck re-set, that issue is leading to much of the sme thing. New frets, plane the fret board new fixed bridge being carved, getting rid os that same hardware. This guitars great tone was coming from the fact that its adjustable saddle was lowered to the max, putting the saddle in direct contac with the guitar's top. Once the need neck re-set is done, it will lose that direct connection, so the bridge is being changed out for a new fixed carve.

The pickups you mention all have a big following. My J-45 has an LR Baggs Lyric n it, does fine. I am considering putting in a Trance Audio Mono in the J-50. Either that, or the passive K&K, as you mentioned.

I have no contacts in the Charlette area, so no help there - but am having much of this same work done. Good luck with yours. mine ought tpo be complete in about 2 weeks. The whole thing took 2 1/2 months. Macus is a busy giy.

Rather than replace the entire bridge a good alternative is just to replace the ADJ saddle with a rosewood or ebony insert slotted for a fixed saddle. If it is properly done you do not even have to glue it in place. If you do not replace the bridge plate you can then easily go back to the original setup.

Thanks for your replys. Bbg..I've already decided on "extreme". I'm 64. For the rest or my years I'll be playing it. My family would not want it, would just sell it. The difference in the money it would bring would not make much of a Difference to them. The insert sounds interesting, but again, not concerned with returning it to origina I love the sound

of this, and can't wait to see what this top will sound like when I get all those pieces of metal out of it.

Okay..one vote for k&k. I have the lyric in my hd-28, and am happy with it. I thought I would pull it off the Martin and put it on the Gibson, but was just checking around.

By the way...I did sound back "in the day", and it was almost impossible to mic a flattop and get any decent sound. At swannanoa last weekend, they were mic-ing many of the performers foggy bottoms and other high end guitars. Beautiful! I guess both Mics and monitor systems have improved significantly!

I live near Swannanoa and still haven't made it to a Gathering. Maybe next year...

Can't help with Greenville/charlotte recommendations, but there's a guy in Asheville everyone, including me, recommends for Gibson vintage work, if that'd help...

Check out this article about Joe Satriani's guitars:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/12756/joe-satriani-3/

Scroll down to his 1965 J-45 (picture 6) and you can see the work he had done on the bridge and saddle. In the blurb about it he names the guy who did the work so that whoever you might have do the work can reference if you want to go that way. Reminds me of a Takamine I used to own, as far as the concept goes.

I got a 1965 J-50 ADJ about six months ago, it has the original rosewood adjustable saddle. I like the way it sounds. But I can understand why some people don't care for it. I have no plans to change the bridge or saddle, I wouldn't have bought the guitar if I didn't like the sound. Initially I planned to take it to the luthier right away for a setup and to get his opinion on fingerboard/fret wear. But I'm having too much fun playing it and getting used to all the idiosyncracies and don't want to let it go. :)

FWIW, I'm 66 and not ready to decide what I'll be playing "for the rest of my years" although I certainly plan to keep this J-50. But I like having options…. ;)

Archived