Gibson Brands Forums

New Midtown Standard

the dog

I almost pulled the trigger on this yesterday...I like the blue one.....

If I do get it I will buy a set of tuners to swap out the G-Force...

Does any one have any comments at all on this guitar?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Midtown-Standard.aspx

thanks

Rich

So they are putting G-Force on Memphis models now!?

It looks great. The supplied (custom?)strings look a bit light for my taste, but I wonder if this is to balance the 'tension'?

My 2015 ES-339 has 10-46 on and the 10 feels more taut than the others do.

I like the blue also.

They are GREAT guitars especially for the price.... All the people on here who have one or one of the previous midtown models all love them, never seen a complaint about that model at all.

Not a true semi hollow as its made from a hollowed out solid body rather than the traditional laminates... I think this makes it a great half way house between a LP and a proper semi hollow guitar...

VERY cool in my book :) [thumbup]

Not a true semi hollow as its made from a hollowed out solid body rather than the traditional laminates... I think this makes it a great half way house between a LP and a proper semi hollow guitar...

VERY cool in my book :) [thumbup]

Thanks for clarifying that for me....on the description its called chambered.....now I know why....I was under the impression it was laminate...

I like this better than laminate...

Thanks for clarifying that for me....on the description its called chambered.....now I know why....I was under the impression it was laminate...

They are their own animal. I have the Midtown Kalamazoo, great value all solid wood, chambered/hollowed out back, flat maple top. The Midtown series are great.

Thanks for that.

The f-holes foxed me (Thats a sentence Ive never used before)

Lol..

Yes well Gibson USA arnt so well know for F-holes so, understandable...

Maybe a few A-holes? ;) but not so many F-holes.. :)

Me too...

My most coveted guitar in the world is a CS 336 which is also made the same way... Ive played one or two of them and each time im just blown away by it.. Cant afford such luxuries at the moment.. But one day :)

A Midtown would be a GREAT second choice though.... Like if by the time I can afford one they arnt making 336s any more the very next model id go for is a Midtown and if I happened to have spare money and was in a shop that had one, id probably have to buy it :) (cos really for the price of a Midtown you are getting an amazing guitar, cant go wrong).

Well I pulled the trigger and bought the blue Midtown Standard....I will get it either on next Wednesday or Thursday...

I can't wait....

Nice.. and of course we need pictures for proof when she arrives :)

I have a feeling you certainly wont regret this one [thumbup]

I got it yesterday....that new guitar smell when you open the case.....love it....I took it home and tuned with G-Force tuner...it showed sharp on my Peterson strobe tuner...so then I just turned all tuners manual to bring in tune.....I'm not gonna muck with the auto tune....

it stayed in tune as much as it would with new strings....I re-tuned a couple of times in the span of over 3 hours of playing....normal....but I always tuned manual......the guitar plays great for right out of the box...intonation is not right on yet....

When I put the new Grover tuners on I will address that....

What a great guitar....I can't find anything wrong....beautiful....I like the no nibs....sounds great....it's a keeper.....

Midtown_zpsxpmv2oof.jpg

DSCN2011_zpsicyeyk0y.jpg

Archived