Gibson Brands Forums

Am I crazy?

rfiori9

So I have a chance to buy a 1989 Black Les Paul standard at a great price. The black isnt my favorite finish but its hard to pass up this deal. I was thinking of buying it and have the top taken down to the natural wood like Mick Ronson did with his 69 black beauty.What do you think?

I was thinking of buying it and have the top taken down to the natural wood like Mick Ronson did with his 69 black beauty.What do you think?

my thoughts:

1: tops that are used in finishes that typically show no grain, are not usually something that works for natural finishes. you wont know till it's "too late" if that one falls into this catagory.

2: if you remove the finish, the resale value of that guitar drops drastically.

3: there has to be, at any given time, about 25 les pauls at least on Ebay from almost new to n years old, I would look for one that is more to my liking and not have to hassel with a refin.

4: just buy it, and play it, and don't worry it's black. you wont see it when you're playing it anyway! [thumbup]

is there something particular for you about that one being a '89 build year?

ah well, ok I see.

If you're not gonna try to recoup your expenses and resell, do what your heart tells you.

I tried to refinish a few guitars in the past, (and I know a few friends who have too) at the end of the day WE have always regretted it

The refinish was always a step back and not as good as the original..

Eventually I decided, these are what they are, some things aint worth changing.

(I'm not a fan of opaque finishes myself.) but if that LP was born Ebony, played good and sounded good, and the deal was righteous, I'd probably learn to live with it. because after all, a good les paul is a good les paul..

But, it's really something that you, and you alone, will need to sort out.

I'm just babbling my 2 cents worth on the message board! :)

Thanks Kid you gave me a lot to think about. I will prob get the guitar and play it for a while before I decide what to do. I have been a Bowie/Ronson fan for a long time and loved Mick's custom and wanted to do that since I was teen. Now I am older and not much wiser and will give this one some thought.

Dude, I hear ya!

hey, I'm the guy that tried to have a local luthier install a Kahler trem on an Ibanez MC400, which ruined an other wise excellent guitar (even though he was quite good at what he did, s h * t happens, and he hacked it up when he tried to route the top out to install the trem. not his fault, I was the idiot.) not a well conceived idea on my part, that axe was never the same. That one was another hard lesson learned. At least the ones I tried to refinish in the past, still played and sounded the same.

It would be good for you to sit on it for awhile as is and see how you two bond anyway. and it wouldn't hurt to consult someone who was skilled at doing this work to see what their opinions were and how much it would take cash wise to have it done right. At least you'll have an informed opinion which might help quite a bit.

Rock on!

-kb

If I was going to refin a top, I would strip it myself, and then have a professional refinisher seal it up. I know a local guy that does ALL of tkhe local work on Corvettes, Vipers, Ferarri, etc. He also specializes in Guitar finishes that match the hot cars. A refinisher first, Gibson second, and a REALLY good body shop with some guitars in his portfolio. Do whatever You want, and above all, have fun with it. If You don't care about resale value, go for it. Play what You want to play.There are some refinishers that INGREASE the value of an inexpensive modern Gibson or Fender. Life's too short. Have fun.

The word is COMPROMISE. For the past year, I've had to remind myself over and over and over not to compromise when buying a guitar.

1- There is ALWAYS a good deal, somewhere.

2- We 'guitar freaks' (my term) will find that good deal.

3- Most times, you won't even have to be patient. Decide what you want and look for it. The WAY you want it, without saying to yourself "Well, I can mod this, do that, this-that-and a third..." Like relationships- if you ever say to yourself "Well, this really bugs me about her (or him) but she'll change" (I can change her..) RUN. Fast.

IMO unless it is a rare, prized instrument, it's worth looking for 'the one' you want the way you want it- without the mods / changes.

For me, it's ALWAYS been a fools errand to get something less with the hope and expectation of making it something more.

Best wishes to you! This is hard stuff! (Well, not really, but we make it hard! [unsure] )

Brian

Dude, I hear ya!

It would be good for you to sit on it for awhile as is and see how you two bond anyway. and it wouldn't hurt to consult someone who was skilled at doing this work to see what their opinions were and how much it would take cash wise to have it done right. At least you'll have an informed opinion which might help quite a bit.

Rock on!

-kb

Amen on that! When I found out that a good refin by a pro would be in the $1000.00-$1200.00 price range, I parted with that guitar and got what I wanted in the first place.

Brian

Hey Brian,

I know,, like I mentioned some things are not worth changing IMO

I've got 95 Les Paul WR (wine red) the finish so dark that it at first would appear to be ebony if the light isn't right.

But the simple truth of that one is that it plays so freaking good, and sounds fantastic, that from the day I laid hands on it in the store 20 years ago now, I knew, that was the one coming home with me and I've never regretted it.

They had a gold top and a sunburst with a pretty nice top, so they looked nice, however neither one of those spoke at all to me.

I added a Vibrate/Bigsby this past spring. If I could only have one..

B7-LP1_zpssc40pame.jpg

1438689288[/url]' post='1682243']

Dude, I hear ya!

hey, I'm the guy that tried to have a local luthier install a Kahler trem on an Ibanez MC400, which ruined an other wise excellent guitar (even though he was quite good at what he did, s h * t happens, and he hacked it up when he tried to route the top out to install the trem. not his fault, I was the idiot.) not a well conceived idea on my part, that axe was never the same. That one was another hard lesson learned. At least the ones I tried to refinish in the past, still played and sounded the same.

Rock on!

-kb

I'm a woodcarver, and I'm in between projects. Would You email me a picture of Your Ibanez? I could probably improve the looks of Your project quite a bit. Message me if You are interested.

I'm a woodcarver, and I'm in between projects. Would You email me a picture of Your Ibanez? I could probably improve the looks of Your project quite a bit. Message me if You are interested.

hi ajay,

thank you for the offer, it is long gone at this point. I traded it off (stupidly) some years ago.

but really man, thanks for reaching out.

/ray

"Your Crazy!!" [confused]

Really just play it!!

I don't think I could do that to a great guitar & as others stated most ebony guitars tops are sub standard being they aren't pretty BUT are full of tone ready to be unleashed..

One of my most favorite Les Pauls that I sold was a Black Beauty Custom JFYI

Archived