Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON LP CUSTOM 1976

Guy Braltar

Hi,

Recently I've tested a Gibson Les Paul Custom from 1976. I was suprised about the weight. She was very light and she didn't had that much sustain.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are the '76 LP Customs lighter than the Customs of other years? I mean, don't have the weight like other LP Customs.

Maybe you just have to be Lucky to find a good one, they were made by hand and not with machines.

I have the chance the buy a LP Custom from '73 (cherry sunburst) for 2000€. The tailpiece is not Original but all the rest is!

What is my question? :-) Is there someone that can tell me more about these years? Not about pancake body etc. but more about the experience of a player/a players view.

Thanks and sorry for my bad English! ;-)

• 3 months later...

Hello!

Norlin-era ('68-'86) Les Pauls are not the favorites of collectors, nor of players. The former don't like them due to the constructional departure from the classic late-50s version of the instrument. The latter dislike them due to their excessive weight. That is why, those vintage instruments are relatively cheap.

Les Paul Customs made between 1969 and 1977 have "pancake" bodies: a thin slice of maple glued between two mahogany slabs. Plus, the 3-piece maple top on them. Most likely, the '73 is crafted with mahogany neck, the '76 is with a 3-piece maple.

The pickup variations are not easy to follow on the Norlin models: the '73 is equipped with AlNiCo III "Super Humbuckers" or "Pat #", while the '76 is either with "T-Top", or "Tim Shaw" pickups. Who knows.

The '73 came equipped with a straight into the wood mounted "ABR-1" bridge unit. The '76 came with the then-new "Nashville" bridge unit.

The neck profile on these are somewhere between today's "50s" and "60s" shapes: thin at the nut, getting thicker towards the heel. The neck-headstock transition is reinforced with a volute.

I highly recommend to try them out before purchasing. Don't buy them unseen.

Good luck... Bence

... She was very light and she didn't had that much sustain. ...

Sorry - I must have overlooked this topic then [blush]

The sustain of any guitar stands or falls with string properties. In particular, the tones from old strings gone dirty and corroded will die rather fast.

Archived