Gibson Brands Forums

pawn shop find...is it worth it?

Ryanvegas

Hey guys

Here's the deal, help an inexperienced dude out with some knowledge lol

Found this Gibson platinum studio for sale at a local pawn shop, they don't know anything but the guy used it as his main guitar and was well played as you can see, very all shop kind of just sat there and watched me inspect and it didn't play very well, lots of buzzing, neck isn't straight, as you can see the nut on the high almost looks like melted/warped, the body is okay I can live with the character but I'm looking for a les Paul for my studio and this one has the unique look I like, they want $600 for it and they said they can lower it a little, comes with gig bag. Don't know how lon it's been sitting, they originally had it at $850 so I'm guessing it's been there a little bit but it's advertised on Craigslist recently so it might go soon considering it's the cheapest studio on cl now so hopefully I can figure out if this is a nightmare to be had or a steal. My main worry is the neck, it's got this very thin crack (idk if it's just the paint or?) and seems to be glue running down the side, strings are rusted along with the bridge slightly, I tried to take detailed pictures so I can get an idea out to you guys with experienced eyes, I really want this guitar but not if its not worth it, can it be brought back to life and based on the pictures how much do you think it'll cost or can it be done by myself?

Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks guys

Here's a link to a library of pics

http://s104.photobucket.com/user/rocker777x666/library/les%20Paul

I would personally stear clear of that one....the neck crack looks like it's more than just surface to me. Not sure what the used market is like where you are from, but in the Toronto area there are lots of good, solid, non-abused LP Studios on the market for anywhere from $650 - $800.

Couple examples: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/gibson-les-paul-studio/1089812859?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/gibson-les-paul-studio-gibson-hard-case/1089237923?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

For $150 more than they want for the beater platinum with the cracked neck, you could get something much better IMHO. If you could get the platinum for $400 it might be worth it, but, that neck crack really bothers me......

That "crack" just looks like the edge of the finish that was there originally and is now wearing away.

Also, it doesn't matter what other people think it is worth, it's more about what it is worth to you. If you feel like $600 is worth it I would get it. Just figure out how much you would be willing to pay and offer that, that's is my advice.

Also, that looks like it might be an ebony fretboard and might actually be worth something.

Buy a Gibson LPJ for $500. That's $500 in new condition. I'd pass on that one. There are too many nice Gibsons in that price range. Do a search on Craigslist For a Gibson LPJ. They are a great guitar for the money.

Buy a Gibson LPJ for $500. That's $500 in new condition. I'd pass on that one. There are too many nice Gibsons in that price range. Do a search on Craigslist For a Gibson LPJ. They are a great guitar for the money.5E87A3AC-75F5-483B-8143-AD9BE49E9CE3.jpgDED9AF29-5598-4663-A933-4E169E259F28.jpg

Anybody got an idea of what's wrong with it? What all that glue is for?

It almost looks like the fretboard seperated from the neck....i'll bet the truss rod either doesn.t turn anymore, or just spins loose.....run, don't walk away from that one dude.... If someone teated the guitar that badly on the outside, i can just imagine what surprises are waiting "under the hood"....

From the photos, the fret wire looks okay, but I can't tell for sure. If the fret wire is worn, I would not consider this to be any bargain. You will probably spend $150 with a luthier putting a new nut and setup on it. So you should be comparing this to what you could get for about $800. It looks like a mutt, and I probably wouldn't risk my money on it.

I agree that there are lots of good deals on LPs in or around that price range. I just did an impulse buy on a used 2009 LP Studio for $599 (I went to look at a great deal on an ES-339 Studio for $1250, which I passed on in favor of the LP). When I make a buy I haven't researched, it always starts me back checking to see how I did. I found quite a few LPs for a bit more money and a few lower spec items such as the LPJ for a bit less. A couple months back I bought a NOS 2013 50s Tribute LP for less than $700. Bargains are out there right now, especially if you are willing to go NOS, leftover/blow-out models, or used.

Pawn shops have a reputation for giving the best deal possible to the client. They have even been known to sell valuable items at a loss so that the customer is 100% satisfied. Pawn shops also have excellent return policy. If you're not happy with it after a couple of weeks, they will gladly take it back and refund your full price.

Pawn shops are the backbone of the free market system and live up to their tradition with honour and integrity.

If the guy wants $600 for it, offer him $700 so that he has food on the table tonight for his kids.

Not!

• 2 weeks later...

That "crack" just looks like the edge of the finish that was there originally and is now wearing away.

Also, it doesn't matter what other people think it is worth, it's more about what it is worth to you. If you feel like $600 is worth it I would get it. Just figure out how much you would be willing to pay and offer that, that's is my advice.

Also, that looks like it might be an ebony fretboard and might actually be worth something.

It actually does matter what it's worth to other people/ market. If it isn't salvagable or if he resells, he could lose his investment. If he owned the guitar new and some damage was caused like a broken neck, then it's really up to him whether it's worth to keep. Completely different situation. When you buy a guitar that isn't playing right or neglected or damaged, it better eiree have a return policy and hopefully have a reputable luthier to look at it for you.

I'd pass. Plenty of great guitars playing well out there for the money. It might not e a lot of money to some people out there but it's good money.

The Platinum series are sweet! I'd pass on that one. As rough of shape as it's in, it's not worth $850. You can find some in a lot better shape for that price or cheaper. Though not a Les Paul, there was/is a 2004 Gibson SG Platinum at one of my local music stores in a lot better shape than that Les Paul at your pawn shop for $650. Haven't been in there in about a month or so, so I don't know if it's still in there or not.

Archived