Gibson Brands Forums

ES175 with factory Ebony fretboard '90 with hard tan case and pink shroud etc

Jim Jeffries

Hello, I am selling my ES175, nice played condition but just kept in storage for a few years as I am endorsed by Gretsch. I will upload more pics as soon as I can. I am based in Hampshire, UK. I asked Gibson why mine has an ebony fretboard and they said their records show that they ran out of rosewood for a few days so put ebony on some ES175's, but I can't find a value. Anyone care to help please? Cheers! Jim

post-73335-014710000 1438716872_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim

I am just over from you in W Surrey. I also own an ES175 which I bought new in 2013.

A quick look at ebay; the ones in the USA are going for about £1600, add 25% for delivery, VAT and import duty so about £2000 is the ball park - I think you might get over £2k because of the ebony board making it unusual rather than rare, but it is very much a buyer's market at the moment. If you look at ebay you will see the UK sellers are all priced higher but I would expect most to take offers if they really want to sell. I don't think the market will improve much either to be honest. So realistically I'd say we are looking at about £2k tops but that's just my opinion....go a bit higher if you are not in a hurry to sell!

How come you are endorsed by Gretsch then?

Hello, I am selling my ES175, nice played condition but just kept in storage for a few years as I am endorsed by Gretsch. I will upload more pics as soon as I can. I am based in Hampshire, UK. I asked Gibson why mine has an ebony fretboard and they said their records show that they ran out of rosewood for a few days so put ebony on some ES175's, but I can't find a value. Anyone care to help please? Cheers! Jim

Cheers bud, I think it is rare as I can't even find a google reference for a factory fitted ebony board, all I can find are wants and luthier changes. The bloke I bought it from was a luthier and Martin UK Repairs Man and not a Gibson expert, yet after a while I noticed the difference in mine. I have recorded on the ES175, yet last gigged it in a sit down jazz trio mid 90's, then I've only gigged with a Gretsch or 4 since, and a fan in Dallas showed a live video of my old band Whip Crackin' Daddies, Fire, Live in Germany to a Gretsch Man close to Fred, and they invited me to answer a few questions for endorsement which I did and was subsequently awarded a couple of years ago with also a tweet from Fred Gretsch; and I was the featured top musician on Gretsch.com for 8 weeks. - made me so proud :) www.jimjeffries.eu :)

Hi Jim

I am just over from you in W Surrey. I also own an ES175 which I bought new in 2013.

A quick look at ebay; the ones in the USA are going for about £1600, add 25% for delivery, VAT and import duty so about £2000 is the ball park - I think you might get over £2k because of the ebony board making it unusual rather than rare, but it is very much a buyer's market at the moment. If you look at ebay you will see the UK sellers are all priced higher but I would expect most to take offers if they really want to sell. I don't think the market will improve much either to be honest. So realistically I'd say we are looking at about £2k tops but that's just my opinion....go a bit higher if you are not in a hurry to sell!

How come you are endorsed by Gretsch then?

Cheers bud, I think it is rare as I can't even find a google reference for a factory fitted ebony board, all I can find are wants and luthier changes. The bloke I bought it from was a luthier and Martin UK Repairs Man and not a Gibson expert, yet after a while I noticed the difference in mine. I have recorded on the ES175, yet last gigged it in a sit down jazz trio mid 90's, then I've only gigged with a Gretsch or 4 since, and a fan in Dallas showed a live video of my old band Whip Crackin' Daddies, Fire, Live in Germany to a Gretsch Man close to Fred, and they invited me to answer a few questions for endorsement which I did and was subsequently awarded a couple of years ago with also a tweet from Fred Gretsch; and I was the featured top musician on Gretsch.com for 8 weeks. - made me so proud :) www.jimjeffries.eu :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived