Gibson Brands Forums

What combo amp would be a good choice

daveinspain

Hey wizards of wisdom, I'm getting a bit tired of lugging an amp head and speaker cabinets to band rehearsals so I'm thing about getting a combo to save time on set up break down and space... I'm gassing for a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue (made in Mexico) thats at a local shop but the thing weighs a TON... So anyone got any ideas on something similar sound wise that might be a bit easier to lug around. If I was a bit younger I'd just go ahead and get the Fender Blues reissue and not care about lugging it. I love that amp.

how much wattage are you looking to cover?

I'm thinking that maybe a DRRI, or Princeton may be in your ball park.

There's also the Fender Mustangs, which would give you a lot of stuff in a small package. They sound remarkably good, and the only signal processor you'll need is a cable and the footswtiches to control the amp remotely. they do everything you'd need.

I use two of them, a 150w 2x12 (The Mustang IV) that I use for the quick gigs/jams and a an 100 1x12 (Mustang III) that's I keep in my Den for practicing and noddleing.

Do they sound every bit as good as my tube amps? not really, but do they sound good? yes!

Made in China, but I have not had a single problem with either of mine.

You CAN have great, real tube tone, in a smaller package.

I believe that a Princeton would do ya! Light weight, great tube tone, what's not to like? A DRRI or '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb are both great choices IMO, but heavier.

Please remember- it's not only the weight, but the weight+SIZE that makes transportation difficult.

I've lugged a 1970 Super Reverb (luscious tone, 75 pounds of dead weight), a Blues Deville 4x10 (USA made, luscious tone, 65 pounds...) to gigs and rehearsals for years. Don't believe me, ask my Ortho-pod!

At the end of the day, I started using a DRRI and a clone by Ben Fargen. Not really light but not nearly as cumbersome as a Blues Deluxe. I'd have probably gone with a Princeton, if there'd have been one available at the time.

Larger gigs? You'll end up having a P.A. anyway- mic that sucker up and let her wail!

From 2003 to about 2009 I gigged regularly (4-6 times per month) using the DRRI. There were several gigging musicians who regularly lugged Marshal and Fender heads, large cabs to the same venues we played. Without exception, all of them loved the tone of the DRRI and Deluxe Reverb clone.

ALSO- I'm one of the biggest and staunchest (is that a word?) tube-amp guys around. I'm also one of the staunchest "U.S.A. made" folks around, too. BUT, I'll second what Kidblast said about the Mustang offerings- I got a used Mustang III V2.2 for $240.00 ($270.00 tax and shipping) and I gotta tell you, while it won't EVER replace my tube amp, I use the Mustang EVERY evening, at church and rehearsals and for a Chinese digital product, it is a helluva lot of amp. Great sound, light and versatile. I would not be afraid to gig it.

My .02! Best wishes whatever you decide.

Brian

I can only assume you want something with a 1x12, or else you will be lugging around an 80+ pound 2x12 combo like me.

Funny, I've been thinking that a head and 2x12 cabinet might be easier to lug than my monster combo. :-k

don't listen to any of those guys. what you want is a handwired tube amp combo that sounds awesome, and is well built, but isn't ridiculously expensive. am i right? of course i am. that's why there is only one amp for you, and it does NOT say fender on it.

http://www.vhtamp.com

play one, and you'll thank me later.

Some of us prefer equipment made in the USA. Are they made in China?

I am dying to buy a combo, myself... I just need to need it first. If I were ready to buy, I'd go with one of the following:

•  
  • VOX AC-15
  • Fender Hot Rod DeVille
  • Orange Tiny Terror or TH30

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on.

I'm feeling the effects of many years toting Massive PA gear, stacks etc. so I understand downsizing gear. For several years I carried around a AC 30. Then I went to a 59 reissue bassman. then a tweed Hot Rod Deluxe. Now I'm down to the Marshall DSL40c. Its really light and with a Creamback speaker it covers all the basses. Sure its made in Vietnamn. I was one of those Sailors in April 75 that evacuated thousand of people overthere that had believed in us. I got no quams against helping them out.

I have been seriously considering a Roland cube 80 watt. I work in a band with two others that have them. They sound great and are only a few lbs heavier than what I use (Genz Benz 150) Right now they are on sale @ Sweetwater with a $50 rebate. I just wish they had a couple inputs. Lots of bells and whistles also. In the meantime, my Hot Rod DeVille sits languishing in the closet.

Archived