Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Es125 help

dog24fret

Howdy folks. New to this site obviously. I was hoping someone could help me with this guitar I'm trying to figure out. It is either a 42 or 43 Gibson es125 ink stamped on the back inside. The other side has these numbers stamped 2286 20 with a dash above the 2 in 20. I haven't figured out How to post pics from phone yet. Later I'll post picks from the laptop. I wanted to find more info about this guitar than I already know. This is for a friend. His grandmother got this new when she graduated school and has been in the family since. So any help would be appreciated thank you

Howdy folks. New to this site obviously. I was hoping someone could help me with this guitar I'm trying to figure out. It is either a 42 or 43 Gibson es125 ink stamped on the back inside. The other side has these numbers stamped 2286 20 with a dash above the 2 in 20. I haven't figured out How to post pics from phone yet. Later I'll post picks from the laptop. I wanted to find more info about this guitar than I already know. This is for a friend. His grandmother got this new when she graduated school and has been in the family since. So any help would be appreciated thank you

I think maybe you have your photobucket settings on "private". Your link to that site didn't work either. If you get that sorted out, just click on the square icon above the post window (two to the right of the yellow smiley) and insert the image url.

I think maybe you have your photobucket settings on "private". Your link to that site didn't work either. If you get that sorted out, just click on the square icon above the post window (two to the right of the yellow smiley) and insert the image url.

<a href=guitar%20151_zpsvwmzthza.jpg' alt='guita

Test

To add photos from your photobucket page, do the following. Open a posting window. Locate the yellow smiley. Two icons to the right of the smiley is a small square with a green center. Click on this, and in the window that pops up, enter your photo's url. JUST the url. The url should begin with http, and end with .jpg

Edit: Yes, your links work now. If you want the photos to appear here in the thread, you need to follow the above instructions (or just put your url between the standard [ img ] and [ /img ] tags with no spaces in between.

Your guitar is not as old as you think. That headstock logo did not exist on Gibsons earlier than 1948. Your FON # suggests a date of 1949.

Nice old Gibson!

Oh really? Cool to know really. Thanks for putting up with my learning how post pics also sir. I post in several other forums with PB and each one seems to be a learning curve. Now on the guitar. How were you able to look up the date? Everything I have seen pointed to it being older. Sadly it isn't mine I really wish it was. I love the sound this thing puts out for sure. I just wanted to find out more about it for my curiosity and for the owner. This case is the first I have seen like that.

How were you able to look up the date? Everything I have seen pointed to it being older. Sadly it isn't mine I really wish it was. I love the sound this thing puts out for sure. I just wanted to find out more about it for my curiosity and for the owner. This case is the first I have seen like that.

The headstock logo was clear evidence that the guitar was no older than 1947-48 (any vintage Gibson enthusiast would recognize that quickly and easily).

The ES-100 was re-named the ES-125 in 1941, but those guitars had different pickups from yours. Gibson basically ceased production during WWII. The ES-125 was re-introduced in 1946 (with the older style "script" headstock logo).

I dated yours by checking your FON here: http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html#serial

Gibson Factory Order Numbers, 1942 to 1951.

Serial numbers are seldon found on instruments made during WW2. But most (not all) have Factory Order Numbers (FON). These contain a four digit batch number stamped in ink, followed by a two digit sequence number written in red pencil (during WW2 only). After the war, the red pencil wasn't used (and on instruments made during the war, sometimes it's really hard to see the red penciled sequence number). Usually there is no more than 46 instruments (sequence numbers) per batch. Also no batch number with a "1" as the first digit was used during WW2. The FON is usually located on the neck block. The war-time list that follows is not definative but includes FONs that I have seen. Unfortunately I don't have every range of FON's during this period.

Year Factory Order Number

---- --------------------

1941 G (letter code sometimes seen after FON, i.e. 2586G).

1942 907, 910, 923, 2004, 2005, 7000ish (i.e. 7119) - all 'Banner' logo.

1942 H (letter code sometimes seen after FON, i.e. 7116H). Range 5xxxH to 8xxxH

1943 Range generally 9xx to 22xx, depending on the model.

1944 Range generally 22xx to 29XX, depending on the model, some with no FON.

1945 1xx to 10xx, but many with no FON.

1946 n/a ('Banner' logo no longer used, now script logo with no banner).

1947 700s to 1000s

1948 1100s to 3700s ('Script' logo no longer used, block logo used.)

1949 2000s

1950 3000s to 5000s

1951 6000s to 9000s

The 125 was a relatively low-end model, and is not particularly rare (thousands were made). Production totals can be found here (scroll down to page 169 in the book):

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=rogO4vkRrYcC&pg=PA154&dq=gibson+es125+totals+inauthor:Duchossoir&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAGoVChMIz4OH0OuTxwIVyqKACh3K-wFZ#v=onepage&q=gibson%20es125%20totals%20inauthor%3ADuchossoir&f=false

• 2 weeks later...

Archived