Gibson Brands Forums

Just got my first Les Paul

rfiori9

Well after owning many Les Paul copies over the past 35 years, I finally got my first Gibson Les Paul! 1989 Standard. I thought it would have the Bill Lawrence pups but the store where I got it from, the guy said he was a Gibson dealer from 1984 to 1999 and he said he didnt think they were. I'm going to put new strings on tonight so I will find out what pups it has in it.

P1016849.jpg

P1016855.jpg

P1016852.jpg

P1016877.jpg

P1016867.jpg

P1016877.jpg

Congrats!!

I love the pic of your Dogs nose too!!

Hmmm? Mahogany & Schaller Strap Locks.. I approve!!

I can see that the stop bar is "Decked" Tight against the body & the strings almost touch the rear of the Tune-O-Matic, hard to see actually, you might try an top wrap the strings next time you change them..

It'll make the strings easier to bend & feel more slinky!!

For a Ebony 89 Standard it looks almost minty..

I'd be interested in the pics & what pickups it has..

I know my 88 Custom Lite had the Bill Lawrence pickups, they weren't covered..

Gary/Hk

that's in great shape.

and I like the ebony finish on that!

(I recall this one from the discussion previously on refinishing that we had, I don't see that as necessary, it looks great)

Congrats and rock on..

Guest Farnsbarns

It looks pristine. Good find.

How do you know it is an '89?

I know there is a website somewhere that lists Gibson guitar serial numbers by year.

Ydddyrrr

So...

8***9***

Is an 89.

Thanks everyone, the serial number dates it to Aug. 31, 1989. I pulled the pickups and they are Bill Lawrence. I can post picks later. I didn't see the post about the stop piece until after I put the strings on. Is there a recommended height or specs for the stop piece?

Is there a recommended height or specs for the stop piece?

IME, not really,

Some guys drop em down to rest on the top (claiming it increases sustain), other's state that the stop piece must not be so low that the strings touch the back of the bridge behind the saddle. Most of us? Dunno, I've got mine floating about 1/4 off the top on all of my guitars with a similar bridge (for example my les pauls, and sgs)

yours looks like it's down about as far as it can go.

Is there a recommended height or specs for the stop piece?

Some one here told me that the string break angle should be like the head stock....17 degrees....I have never checked mine though....I brought my stop bar down as low as it will go with out having strings touch the bridge...

IME, not really,

Some guys drop em down to rest on the top (claiming it increases sustain), other's state that the stop piece must not be so low that the strings touch the back of the bridge behind the saddle.

Yes, this is one of the more important things.. You don't want the strings to touch the back of the bridge... Apart from that, what ever works for whoever is all good :)

Archived