Gibson Brands Forums

What did you all look like at age 20?

MorrisrownSal

My college band was named Sinister Footwear (Frank Zappa reference).

We played everything from the Pretenders, Squeeze, Robert Palmer, The Doors, Genesis, and The Allman Bros... to Chuck Mangione (wait what?)

That's me in the center... this was a picture for a promo poster that was pasted on cheap paper around campus. Ahhh. Mullets and cutoff shirts. Was there ever anything classier?

Let's see yours folks!

themissalyoung_zps9f4952dd.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite age 20. This was about 1973 and I was about 24. :) I sold that telecaster to buy a 1974 J-50 that I still have. If I had kept the telecaster, it would be worth a lot more than the J-50 is today. [tongue]

thinline1974.jpg

Hysterical!

At 20?

How cruel do you need to be?

Luckily, they hadn't invented cameras when I was 20, or nobody knew how to turn one on. I think I was in a band that started out doing Status Quo covers and then moved to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin covers. We had the hair, but the music choice may have been a bit ....err....ambitious, shall we say?

I had a photo of a band I was in at about 25, when a girl had blonded my long hair and it had grown out about a 3 inches, looking good, plus the band manager wouldn't let me wear my stock standard black T-shirt and had me wear this ludicrou Chammy leather shirt that was 5 sizes too big........that pic got burned, but some mongrel from that band will have copies I need to burn...

BluesKing777.

Well, I was only 13, but...I'm the kid wearing the Bob Dylan/John Lennon cap. My band mates had a Fender Strat (Howard) and a Mustang (Tommy). Howard later got a bass and took up that position in the band. I had a Vox Hurricane. As we know, the Vox amps had great street cred, the guitars not so much.

Pace%20Setters_zps10a6lxa6.jpg

OK, I'll play. A photo from the Carter administration years.

2886095225_5a872cc506_o.jpg

I AM the person your parents warned you about. To quote Jerry, Bob, Phil and the boys,.... "What a long strange trips it's been". And to quote me, "I ain't done yet!"

Well, I was only 13, but...I'm the kid wearing the Bob Dylan/John Lennon cap. My band mates had a Fender Strat (Howard) and a Mustang (Tommy). Howard later got a bass and took up that position in the band. I had a Vox Hurricane. As we know, the Vox amps had great street cred, the guitars not so much.

Geez, you must have had some extremely generous parents. We used to be really jealous of you guys because we had to dig up every after school job and summer work we could find to scrounge up enough cash just to buy used cheap gear.

Geez, you must have had some extremely generous parents. We used to be really jealous of you guys because we had to dig up every after school job and summer work we could find to scrounge up enough cash just to buy used cheap gear.

Zomby--I was very lucky. My parents were not wealthy by any means, but my Dad was a classically trained violinist (he played part time in the local symphony but always had day jobs) and both of my parents realized the importance of music. So most Birthday presents or Christmas gifts that came my way were of the musical variety. I was expected to and did work summer jobs to learn the value of a dollar, and that has stayed with me to this day. I am very grateful to them on so many levels.

Get ready to laugh as I cry!

Couldn't find any when I was 20, but I got...

me%20playing%20guitar.jpg

May2102.jpg

Jesse%20in%20Stephies%20Clothes.jpg

I look worse now, believe it or not!

The guitar was my first really good one, a Guild... uh... D-55 maybe? Purchased from Stan at Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island, August 2001 (same month the photo is from, I'd imagine). Nice guitar, but I never quite clicked with it. At the time, I was deciding between a used Martin HD-35, that Guild, and a Gibson J-185. (I wanted an SJ-200 or Hummingbird, but they were way out of my range! Not sure why I didn't have a J-45 on my radar... One big regret in life is that I didn't get the Gibson, because I'm sure I'd still have it.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away for some time on my boat in the out islands of Maine, but I couldn't pass this one up. It's nice up here in the land of lobsters and osprey.

Early spring of 1967, and I had just turned 20. Still have that old 1948 J-45.

Nickmediumres001cropped.jpg

Archived