Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2015 SR (Sprint Run|) Guitars-First look at 2016 Models?

jaygl

Like this wasn't predictable. Trying to save what is sure to be a disasterous year for sales no doubt. Available in studio, standard, traditional and classic LP models with "pre 2015 specs" as they put it. No wide neck or robo tuners also, studios and classics have no weight releif. Limited numbers of each model available. I think this is our first look at the 2016 lineup.

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2015-Les-Paul-Standard-SR-111518981-i4486557.gc

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Gibson,Solid-Body-Electric-Electric-Guitar,New-Gear.gc?extup=Featured-New&ipp=25 - scroll down to see SR guitars.

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/2015/08/07/gibson-releases-limited-edition-sprint-run-2015-les-paul-guitars/

http://guitarvillage.uk.com/product/16958-254/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-2015-Sprint-Run-LPS15OSY3CH1-New-Honeyburst-Incl-Case.aspx

From a guitar centre e-mail.....

NEW GIBSON SR SERIES LES PAULS

NEW GIBSON USA SR SERIES LES PAULS

Shop Now

COLLECTORS: TOTAL AVAILABLE QUANTITY IN THE UNITED STATES

Description Qty

LP Classic 2015 SR Fireburst 30

LP Classic 2015 SR Heritage Cherry Sunburst 72

LP Classic 2015 SR Seafoam Green 250

LP Classic 2015 SR Vintage Sunburst 72

LP Standard Premium Quilt 2015 SR Honeyburst Perimeter Candy 18

LP Standard Premium Quilt 2015 SR Ocean Water Perimeter Candy 11

LP Standard 2015 SR Transparent Amber Cherry Back Candy 42

LP Standard 2015 SR Heritage Cherry Sunburst Candy 78

LP Standard 2015 SR Tobacco Sunburst Candy 60

LP Standard 2015 SR Wine Red Candy 48

LP Standard 2015 SR Honeyburst Perimeter Candy 41

LP Studio 2015 SR Desert Burst 298

LP Studio 2015 SR Manhattan Midnight 350

LP Studio 2015 SR Wine Red 291

LP Traditional 2015 SR Heritage Cherry Sunburst 202

LP Traditional 2015 SR Honeyburst 48

LP Traditional 2015 SR Ocean Blue 148

LP Traditional 2015 SR Placid Purple 29

LP Traditional 2015 SR Tobacco Sunburst 12.

Looks like they still have the Zero Fret Nut and 100 logo. I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic and the wider neck lends itself to my style so I love it. I do believe that gibson should NOT have put the wider neck on the whole 2015 line.

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic and the wider neck lends itself to my style so I love it. I do believe that gibson should NOT have put the wider neck on the whole 2015 line.

Yeah; I've played several 2015's and I'm liking the neck also. My plan is to get a 2015 at the end of the year, in case they backtrack and do away with the wide neck.

And once again Canada is not getting any of these Limited Edition Les Pauls according to Yorkville/L&M.

Shame on Gibson again. Looks like 2015 is the year I buy no Gibson Les Paul guitars.

I certainly won't be buying the standard 2015 USA lineup.

Something here doesn't quite add up......Gibson seem to be trying to please everybody now.

When the 2015 range was announced, I (like many others) especially disliked the robot tuners, and maybe a couple of other 'features'. This stopped many people (myself included) having a proper look at the 2015 guitars and dismissing them out of hand.

Lately I played a friends 2015 LP Classic, I was surprised by the excellent fit and finish, excellent set up and more than happy with the wider neck. At last Gibson are making the guitar they should have been making all along instead of churning out substandard (compared to the main opposition) instruments expecting the name to sell them.

I have a 2014 LP Supreme and initially had problems with the 1st string slipping off the end of the frets. It took a Schaller roller bridge and a recut nut to sort that - on a brand new, expensive, high end guitar, not good.

The wider neck eliminates the possibility of that happening on the 2015 guitars. I can't think why they have gone back to the narrow neck on the Sprint Run....and after 5 minutes playing the wider neck you don't notice it.

So as a result of playing my friends Classic, I have ordered a 2015 LP Standard (but I will be swapping out the robo tuner for machine heads). Luckily for me, the 2015's haven't sold well so I have taken advantage of a really good closeout deal price. I guess the dealers have too many 2015's left and 2016 models on the way........

With the prices the way they are I don't see them selling quickly..

Everyone of those could be bought used @ a Huge discount & make everyone except Henry happy!!

Luckily for us the price hike and new 'features' stopped the 2015's selling well, so we have just seen a price drop to pre-2014 prices - now they are selling!!

Lately I played a friends 2015 LP Classic, I was surprised by the excellent fit and finish, excellent set up and more than happy with the wider neck. At last Gibson are making the guitar they should have been making all along instead of churning out substandard (compared to the main opposition) instruments expecting the name to sell them.

So as a result of playing my friends Classic, I have ordered a 2015 LP Standard (but I will be swapping out the robo tuner for machine heads). Luckily for me, the 2015's haven't sold well so I have taken advantage of a really good closeout deal price. I guess the dealers have too many 2015's left and 2016 models on the way........

I have the same feeling. It's weird about conservatives, that don't even try new things before writing them off. I wonder how progress ever happened...

Myself I had my eyes set on 2014 studio but came to that conclusion far to let and they were all gone. So when the 2015s hit the store I really liked the new necks which really solid and good in my hands.

But instead of buying one I had to prioritise other things (such as a family vacation). Lucky for me when I found out a week ago that they slashed all prices and I got a classic for a little less than the price of a studio. Sweet deal, huh?

I also like the G-Force. I think it's awesome. But if it fails to tune it will be frustrating. :)

But I hope they are successful as a company. I think we all want a thriving Gibson so we all can look forward to their new lines of guitars. But we must cut them some slack. It's probably hard to develop new guitars for a customer base that all pines for something they made in the fifties.

Maybe the people playing the older style are just smarter [biggrin] And btw if you think that was great marketing you should NOT be in sales. And for the star techies they should always have a special model just for YOU and they usually do. The progressive techies attempted to commandeer Gibsons entire line and look what a mess we have now.

Love the 2015 Logo that is wow, SPECIAL!!!!!! This was the year of the Edsel, you might want to buy one of those rare birds and store it for 100 years.

I would slash those 2015 prices right in half and dump all that fire wood. The quicker you get back to business the better all will be in retro land. [thumbup]

Just saying, the Retro Cyber Police are watching!!!!!!

Saw a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Std at the Cincinnati GC yesterday. It looks like Gibson has regained their sanity (somewhat). The neck width is still the same. Gone is the zero fret nut, the Les Paul 100 headstock logo and the G-Force tuning system. Price was approximately $2,700.

Saw a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Std at the Cincinnati GC yesterday. It looks like Gibson has regained their sanity (somewhat). The neck width is still the same. Gone is the zero fret nut, the Les Paul 100 headstock logo and the G-Force tuning system. Price was approximately $2,700.

What no pics??? You're killing us!! ;)

Man I HOPE you are right. If so, I may be down for a 2016 Trad!

This is no surprise and I think they will go back to the pre-2015 neck width once they move through the stock im sure they have on hand. This sprint run is obviously a ploy to work though inventory, hence the limited tag they put on it. It's limited because once they run through the bins of wider necks and zero frets, that'll be the end of those offerings. As small of a change as that was I just couldn't get past the width. I'm on board with going a few steps back for sure. I think my next lp will have a 60s style neck but I'm not a fan of the assumeyrical so most likely I'll shop used unless they have a 60s that's not assumeyrical. Which I don't think they currently offer.....maybe I'm wrong though

This is no surprise and I think they will go back to the pre-2015 neck width once they move through the stock im sure they have on hand. This sprint run is obviously a ploy to work though inventory, hence the limited tag they put on it. It's limited because once they run through the bins of wider necks and zero frets, that'll be the end of those offerings. As small of a change as that was I just couldn't get past the width. I'm on board with going a few steps back for sure. I think my next lp will have a 60s style neck but I'm not a fan of the assumeyrical so most likely I'll shop used unless they have a 60s that's not assumeyrical. Which I don't think they currently offer.....maybe I'm wrong though

Hmmm...I dunno...I really love the 2015 neck. I have a Baja Tele since before which has a fatter neck but I never liked the Gibson 50s style neck and I thought the 60s slim taper was ok but a little meh. The 2015 adds that extra oomph and make the neck feel really good. But I assume that's subjective?

I had a 2014 Midtown Custom. LOVED the guitar however, after three months, the neck developed a back bow. Who knows why, however I got an RMA from Gibson and they determined that my beloved midtown was un-repairable. Since they no longer make the Midtown Custom (a gorgeous guitar in its own right), they told me they will give me a replacement and directed me to their website. The CSR steered me towards the SR's on Guitar Center's website. I chose a Les Paul Classic SR and it got here last Wednesday 08/26/2015. After unpacking it, the strings were completely dead, so I changed em. All I can say is WOW! The guitar plays (I'm from Boston) 'like a hot knife through buttah!'. Amazing sounding instrument, smooth neck, and boatloads of options, single coils, turbo boost, and None of that tuning crap on the neck which while really cool, is also REALLY ugly. Mine came with good ol Kluson's for tuners which after a week are working just fine and staying in tune. The zero fret/nut combo is now on a great many les paul models and to be quite honest, while I don't see it making much of a difference for me, I'm sure someone else might make use of that feature. It's a great idea. The only thing I think would be a nice thing for Gibson to do is to give you the teenie tiny wrenches that will fit those allen screws. Chances are very good to almost certain I'll never touch it however, I might. Now I gotta go wrench shopping. Also the speed knobs dont fit securely on the split shaft pots. They wobble. Fit and finish are good however in the cut away bout, between the Mahogany and Maple there's a small section of wood filler. Someone cut it a little too aggressively apparently however, it's filled well and finished over so if you couldnt see it, you wouldnt know it's there. That said, all in all, this is a VERY capable instrument with awesome sound. I went to a jam and used just about every feature the thing has. All sounded great. Tried it through a Fender hotrod deville, an egnator, and a marshall combo. Sounded wonderful with all of those.....Oh and in Seafoam Green she's a looker for sure! This guitar rocks!!!!

• 1 month later...

Something here doesn't quite add up......Gibson seem to be trying to please everybody now.

When the 2015 range was announced, I (like many others) especially disliked the robot tuners, and maybe a couple of other 'features'. This stopped many people (myself included) having a proper look at the 2015 guitars and dismissing them out of hand.

I have a 2014 LP Supreme and initially had problems with the 1st string slipping off the end of the frets. It took a Schaller roller bridge and a recut nut to sort that - on a brand new, expensive, high end guitar, not good.

The wider neck eliminates the possibility of that happening on the 2015 guitars. I can't think why they have gone back to the narrow neck on the Sprint Run....and after 5 minutes playing the wider neck you don't notice it.

Glad to hear you are pleased with the 2015 and hope you get a good one. Gibson tried too many tricks at once and it had an adverse effect on sales. I am very pleased with the wider neck. I thought the robot tuners were great to start with but I am having problems now and will probably end up getting normal machine heads. Let us know what you decide to do as I might do the same.

CHEERS

I had a 2014 Midtown Custom. LOVED the guitar however, after three months, the neck developed a back bow. Who knows why, however I got an RMA from Gibson and they determined that my beloved midtown was un-repairable. Since they no longer make the Midtown Custom (a gorgeous guitar in its own right), they told me they will give me a replacement and directed me to their website. The CSR steered me towards the SR's on Guitar Center's website. I chose a Les Paul Classic SR and it got here last Wednesday 08/26/2015. After unpacking it, the strings were completely dead, so I changed em. All I can say is WOW! The guitar plays (I'm from Boston) 'like a hot knife through buttah!'. Amazing sounding instrument, smooth neck, and boatloads of options, single coils, turbo boost, and None of that tuning crap on the neck which while really cool, is also REALLY ugly. Mine came with good ol Kluson's for tuners which after a week are working just fine and staying in tune. The zero fret/nut combo is now on a great many les paul models and to be quite honest, while I don't see it making much of a difference for me, I'm sure someone else might make use of that feature. It's a great idea. The only thing I think would be a nice thing for Gibson to do is to give you the teenie tiny wrenches that will fit those allen screws. Chances are very good to almost certain I'll never touch it however, I might. Now I gotta go wrench shopping. Also the speed knobs dont fit securely on the split shaft pots. They wobble. Fit and finish are good however in the cut away bout, between the Mahogany and Maple there's a small section of wood filler. Someone cut it a little too aggressively apparently however, it's filled well and finished over so if you couldnt see it, you wouldnt know it's there. That said, all in all, this is a VERY capable instrument with awesome sound. I went to a jam and used just about every feature the thing has. All sounded great. Tried it through a Fender hotrod deville, an egnator, and a marshall combo. Sounded wonderful with all of those.....Oh and in Seafoam Green she's a looker for sure! This guitar rocks!!!!

There should be a wrench in the case. I had one. Its very small, perhaps you missed it?

Good to see that more of us actually like the wider neck. Yes, it should have been an option, but sometimes the resentment of imposed change can sour opinion regardless of the merits or otherwise.

If Gibson really believe in some of the newer features, I think it would be a better idea to create a whole new model to use them on. I realise that is a marketing gamble, but the ‘2015 backlash’ will likely make Gibson timid about changing anything for a while. This is a shame really.

A new model or model variant, could use a wider neck, zero fret nut made from steel, and while they’re at it, why not straighten the string path on a newly designed headstock to avoid all that G string binding for once and for all?

Properly researched & tested changes result in improvements. Why shouldn’t Gibson do this as well as recreating Blind Billy Figtree’s classic ’56 LP with P90s handwound with a fishing reel?

I have the same feeling. It's weird about conservatives, that don't even try new things before writing them off. I wonder how progress ever happened...

"Change" does not equal "progress". The 2015s were full of plenty of "change"... but little actual "progress".

•  
  • etuners that don't hold tune and whose 42:1 gears strip when manually tuned (and that will look as techno-dated as a Palm Pilot or 80s brick cell phone in 5-10yrs)
  • brass nuts that are too soft and ping under tuning
  • ugly scawl logo
  • creepy hologram
  • wider necks that depart from 60+ years tradition that made the Les Paul an icon
  • metallic paints that look like they belong on a donkmobile

And all mandatory across all models without any option for a traditionally built LP.

That isn't "progress"... this just plain bad decision making.

In a lot (if not most) player's minds, Gibson is a "Traditional" guitar making company.

That's what most Gibson players expect. So, ANY deviation, from those time tested,

and beloved model's and spec's, tends to backfire, to varying degrees. But, not to

worry, the 2015 model "oddities," at some point in the future, will command ridiculous

prices, just because of those oddities. Remember, the "Les Paul" was a dismal failure,

and so was born the SG, which has never been out of production, since it was introduced

in 1961. It would be eight years, before the traditional shaped "Les Paul" was reintroduced.

And, you can thank (profusely) Eric Clapton, Micheal Bloomfield, especially, as well as

other's (later), for the resurgence of interest, in those Les Paul models.

It's ONE reason, I've always felt like Gibson should make all their traditional models,

"Custom Shop" quality, with all the classic features that most want, and leave the Custom

Shop, for "experiments," one of a kind, and/or special order, or truly eccentric, or

"collector specific" limited editions. But, that's just ME! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Archived