Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on selling a Gibson L4 CES

Scott the Axe

I have a beautiful Left Hand Gibson L4 CES which I bought back in 2005 – I had the pleasure of coming to Texas to buy it, at South Paw guitars.

I want to sell it, but I want it to be a private sale so I can get maximum value rather giving a chunk to a dealer.

I wondered if anyone out there can give me some advice on the best channel to advertise it for sale – I’m based in the UK,

Many thanks

Scott

I'd scour the internet for guitar forums and put a "for sale" notice in each one. Then place a new message every 3 months in each forum to keep it close to the top of the page. I've never done this but since your note was here for a couple of days without a reply, I thought I'd chime in.

Since you are advertising world wide, shipping is going to be an expensive issue, as will be exchange rates on currencies. Don't answer messages from Nigeria where they say they will pay you full retail but want you to help them immigrate to the UK. (Little joke)

Be patient. This could take a couple of years. I don't think the market for left handed L 4 CES guitars is very big.

I'm with you on this. I bought a new L5 CES last year during a manic frenzy. Rather than take the hit trying to sell it, I'm keeping the guitar and using it as a reminder to exercise more caution.

AFAIK "Guitarist" magazine in the UK still have a free ad section. It may take a couple of months to get an ad in but it's worth doing....IMO.

For some reason a recent similar thread about selling an archtop was locked.

Best wishes.

Archived