Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying my guitar

JayceK

I have an Epiphone/Gibson electric guitar that i bought a little over 10 years ago from a great music store in my hometown. I listed it on CL, and started getting some questions that have peaked my interest. As you can see in the pictures, it has both Epiphone and Gibson listed on the front but doesn't really say what it is. I've looked around and couldn't find any guitars like mine that had both names on this style. Maybe i just didn't look hard enough though.

post-73443-075240900 1439328746_thumb.jpg

post-73443-068164800 1439328753_thumb.jpg

post-73443-082882800 1439328761_thumb.jpg

post-73443-038491000 1439328774_thumb.jpg

I have an Epiphone/Gibson electric guitar that i bought a little over 10 years ago from a great music store in my hometown. I listed it on CL, and started getting some questions that have peaked my interest. As you can see in the pictures, it has both Epiphone and Gibson listed on the front but doesn't really say what it is. I've looked around and couldn't find any guitars like mine that had both names on this style. Maybe i just didn't look hard enough though.

What you have there is an older Epiphone LP100

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-100.aspx

Good luck with your sale.

Johnny

Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the help. I wonder why it doesn't have the LP writing in the middle of the headstock like in the link you posted..?

Hey Jayce

Your welcome. The link is to the current production model, yours is an older production date. Not sure what year they changed from the Gibson truss rod cover to ones with model designations. I have a couple older Epis that have the same Gibson text and some newer ones that list only the model.

There is a pretty comprehensive epi wiki but not sure that it lists the year of change for truss rod covers either, been a while since a browsed through it myself.

Hey Jayce

Your welcome. The link is to the current production model, yours is an older production date. Not sure what year they changed from the Gibson truss rod cover to ones with model designations. I have a couple older Epis that have the same Gibson text and some newer ones that list only the model.

There is a pretty comprehensive epi wiki but not sure that it lists the year of change for truss rod covers either, been a while since a browsed through it myself.

Ahh ok, that makes sense. When I listed it for sale and people started asking questions it got me really interested in what year it was made and model number and all that jazz. I was just interested in getting a little money back on what I paid for it but appreciate the info and finding out more.

People may be asking what year it was made because the serial number is strange. It appears to be in <Factory Code/YY/MM/sequence number> format. MC would be Muse (China), but 22 as the year number isn't really an option (1922?) Or maybe I'm just reading the number wrong in the photo?

Ya model number is MC22081581. Not sure?

I did a little more looking, apparently Muse wasn't that good at keeping to Epi standards for serial numbers. There are a bunch of threads here about similar ones. Probably a 2002 or 2003 - you could call Gibson Customer Service and they might be able to figure out when it came into the country.:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/57776-used-epiphone/

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51515-fake-epiphone-les-paul-special-ll/

From the Guitar Dater Project: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Muse Plant, China

August 1922

Production Number: 1581

Muse Incorporated

Muse Incorporated has been in existence for 10 years, Headquartered in Inchon, Korea, with additional plants in Weifang, China. Muse builds guitars, basses and amplifiers.

From the Guitar Dater Project: http://www.guitardat...g/epiphone.aspx

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Muse Plant, China

August 1922

Production Number: 1581

Muse Incorporated

Muse Incorporated has been in existence for 10 years, Headquartered in Inchon, Korea, with additional plants in Weifang, China. Muse builds guitars, basses and amplifiers.

The Guitar Dater Project is notoriously bad, particularly on older guitars. It's maybe better on Fender than Gibson brands. Your best bet is to do a little research on the company websites. Most of them have dating info that Guitar Dater only can generalize.

Your guitar was made in China in the year 1622, OK I know that China invented everything but it was a subsidiary of the Indian guitar factory, as those of in the know realize India invented everything, including electricity.

So, basically it's a copy of an Indian guitar designed in 1422 and made by Chinese people later on.

[flapper]

• 4 years later...

Hey there!! I am the owner of MC22081987! It had the same pickups and paint job, but I have since upgraded both humbuckers, got new tuners, leveled and crowned frets, fresh bone nut, modded the general aesthetic to suit my style, and rewired for Jimmy Page 50’s Style wiring. It’s a beast!! Love the light weight and not bothered at all by bolt on neck.

On 8/13/2015 at 8:35 AM, JayceK said:

Les Paul - 100 Studio ....... see wiki ........

Lp100NoScript.jpg

without Les Paul on the headstock and Gibson on the nut cover would be prior to 2005, probably Aug 2002 product number 1581 from the serial number..

Lp100-RED.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

• 3 months later...

Hello,    I recently thought I found a good deal on a Gibson Gold top, but I discovered it was made in China. It played well because someone spent a lot of money upgrading everything on it. I started to feel a little cheap and dirty, and I had to put it down. I will own an authentic Les Paul one day, but I’ll play anything  while I learn, and really don’t have the money to drop now anyway. I can, however, spend $350 on a beautiful red sunburst Eppiphone Les Paul and feel good about it. The serial number leads me to the Daewon factory, March of 2003. I can’t tell which model it is, or even if it is legit. If someone was trying to scam someone on a guitar, I would think it would be for a little more money, but I don’t presume to understand why or what about people anymore. Any information would be very educational for me. Thanks for reading. 
Chris