Gibson Brands Forums

New Baby: my first Flying V (faded)

Rick

Hello!

Here she is - a 2010 faded cherry Flying V.

Bought used with some dings and scratches, and some mojo I say.

Took her home, completely "dismantled" (tuners, bridge bushings, every single screw etc), got the fretboard conditioned (cleaned and oiled), the frets brushed, added some pointers, a new switch tip and then setup-ed [sleep]

I bought immediately a new Gibson OHSC because I didn't like the idea of the angled headstock housed in that crappy gigbag.

Plus, few stores here told me that they are no longer available for purchase..I found a new one in a store, the last one, made in Canada (funny, the USA one I bought it's just the same as the CS one I have for my 2007 LP '58 reissue, they differ only for the colours).

3-pieces body, very well matched in my opinion, with a lovely dark fretboard. Frets were almost 100%.

Anyway, stop with the words and let's see some photos I shot this morning.

DSCN0720_zpsfd1gp48x.jpg

DSCN0730_zpsmvlahdt1.jpg

DSCN0731_zpssqpygydk.jpg

DSCN0726_zpsxgnsi2sm.jpg

DSCN0729_zpsythlqe1o.jpg

DSCN0728_zpskern81mi.jpg

DSCN0727_zpsb9fmyyzw.jpg

DSCN0733_zpspnksjgwf.jpg

DSCN0725_zpsk4oqqhnw.jpg

DSCN0742_zpsvpst9dbu.jpg

Thank you guys [thumbup]

In the end, I finally got one..it's a guitar that always attracted my attention, I'm very happy. Sounds good and feels better, it's such a shame that Gibson doesn't offer it with a chunkier neck: a '59 rounded, or a '58 would be awesome (I know it's a '67 reissue, so slim taper, however).

I don't like so much the 500T in the bridge, too impersonal and edgy on my '85 JCM800 lead.

Congrats!!

That is SWEET!

I've never had a Gibson V but have had a few from other makes, The Jackson Rhoads..

Love the Mahogany.. NICE!!

Thanks, I got stunned from the woods of this baby, too.

When I was younger (few years ago) I "GASed" for the RR5, or a RR3 in Crimson Swirl.

• 1 month later...

Made few upgrades to the Vee:

- SD '59 in the neck

- SD Custom 5 in the bridge

- Faber bridge (complete kit)

DSCN0757_zpsqznhxpgp.jpg

DSCN0758_zpstkbclvz8.jpg

BIg improvements, imho, the Faber (alu) bridge kit is really lighter and smaller rather than the stock Zamac one (I heard sustain's improvement..), and pickups are way more touch responsive and fuller :)

Archived