Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Togpot on Kirk Douglas SG

Hi all!

I hope it's the right place to post this. I acquired a second-hand Kirk Douglas SG which came with a broken togpot. I took a look at the togpot, and it seems one of the previous owner made a dirty repair, soldering one part of the selector, making the Bridge pickup always on.

Basically I've been trying for weeks to find an equivalent to this "togpot": Gibson doesn't seem to sell any (!) and I can't find anywhere anything that fits the description of a "three way selector + potentiometer".

Do you have any idea what could act as replacement part for the togpot ?

Thank you !

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Gibson used to sell them - but by now the product is removed from their site. [thumbdn] It's called the "Gibson Gen II pickup selector switch".

I am not sure if this is the switch in question, please take a look at it: http://store.tronical-components.eu/3-way-toggle-fbx/

Best wishes... Bence

Hello Kaiser Bill,

I contacted stewmac a couple of days ago following a lead I got on another forum. They answered me that they didn't have an equivalent to the togpot.

They have other switches that can handle a 3-humbucker config like on the Kirk Douglas SG, but they don't act similarly as the original one.

The togpot acts as a 3-way switch + potentiometer :

- The 3-way switch enables to select Bridge/Bridge+Neck/Neck pickups

- The potentiometer enables to control the volume of the middle pickup.

M.K.

• 2 weeks later...

You should be able to get a replacement Togpot, from Gibson, through your authorized Gibson dealer.

If your dealer doesn't stock that particular part, they should be able to get one, from Gibson.

That part is used on several Gibson 3-pickup SG's. Gibson often doesn't supply those kinds of parts,

to individuals. But, they will, through their dealer network.

Good Luck!

CB

• 2 months later...

Hi !

A (very) late feedback following all your answers. I managed to buy a Gibson Togpot from someone who had bought it a long time ago but did not install it. I very recently installed it as a replacement to the broken one I had. And it appeared it broke only after a few switching test. The switching was completely faulty (bad contact in one side) which made impossible to connect one of the pickup. It was exactly the same default as the previous one.

So it seems a plausible reason as to why Gibson has stopped selling those :) They don't seem too reliable...

I guess I'll fallback on other 'classic' switch for 3 pickups guitar. Might have to sacrifice on tone pot for a volume pot but that'll be another story !

Again, thanks all for you help !

M.K.

While removing all the polish sullage from the electric compartment of my SG Supra I saw how the tog pot is designed. The pot cables are moved along with moving the toggle lever. I always use the toggle switch very carefully, that is I avoid fast moves. It seems to be a fairly sensitive part. Due to the Fishman Power Pot piezo volume control with the active electronics attached to it a third volume pot for the middle pickup would call for removing the tone pot. The space isn't sufficient for replacing the tog pot with a three-level rotary switch, so there is no other choice.

• 4 years later...

Hey guys, i know i’m way late on this post, but i need help. The togpot on my Gibson SG Supra is now defective. still in late 2019, nothing similar seems available anywhere. Called an authorized local Gibson retailer, nothing. Called Gibson directly, they politely replied they don’t have this. Tried everywhere on all possible platforms and aftermarket sellers, there is nothing available. I really liked the fact that you could use the potentiometer in the switch to blend the middle pickup....have any of you found a solution to this? I’ve seen on eBay a guy selling what is called a ‘genuine Gibson toggle switch with piezo blend knob’ that seems similar (a toggle switch with pot). Also made the same search for what is called the Gibson gen II pickup selector.....nothing as well....Any help , ideas, solution or alternatives you opted for, will be greatly appreciated ! 

Edited by JFB
Typo

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 7:16 PM, JFB said:

Hey guys, i know i’m way late on this post, but i need help. The togpot on my Gibson SG Supra is now defective. still in late 2019, nothing similar seems available anywhere. Called an authorized local Gibson retailer, nothing. Called Gibson directly, they politely replied they don’t have this. Tried everywhere on all possible platforms and aftermarket sellers, there is nothing available. I really liked the fact that you could use the potentiometer in the switch to blend the middle pickup....have any of you found a solution to this? I’ve seen on eBay a guy selling what is called a ‘genuine Gibson toggle switch with piezo blend knob’ that seems similar (a toggle switch with pot). Also made the same search for what is called the Gibson gen II pickup selector.....nothing as well....Any help , ideas, solution or alternatives you opted for, will be greatly appreciated ! 

Hi, I had the same issue with my Kirk Douglas SG - the togpot works but it crackles badly when used.  Unfortunately Gibson would only refer me to the dealer network and none of the dealers I contacted were able to help me. Finally I took it to a good luthier and he did manage to improve it significantly, but sadly I am still having to live with a crackly togpot. I dropped Kirk Douglas a line recently to see if he could get anywhere with Gibson and he was kind enough to reply and say he'd try.   Good luck, Rick

Edited by Rick E