Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special DC

oneeyedog

Hi, I am looking at my first Gibson purchase! Been a Fender and G&L guy so far......... Tried a few new models in local stores but found the finish not my liking... too sticky, glossy? I did like the tone though :) I have seen a couple of Les Paul Specials DC used and was wondering how they are regarded? I'm not going to have all that much playing time on them before I would have to decide. They are both same kind of age, 2004/5 one is worn finish TV yellow and the other satin cherry. Just looking to find out the value and what your thoughts are. I'd be using it for rhythm in an Americans/Rock band... a little bit of dirt and clean tones thro a Vox AC15.... I use my Asat Classic or Strat at the moment. Any info/advice appreciated

cheers

Love mine..........1997

101_0812_zpsbpitpo6q.jpg

Light, well balanced, LOVE the P90's..........it was a "bucket list" guitar for me and it's quickly become a favorite.

It cleans up very nicely, but doesn't get "too" clean, which I love. Never sounds "sterile". When you roll on the dirt, it screams but retains great string defination.

Grab one, but fair warning.........I've found these specials to be addicting.

NHTom

• 4 weeks later...

Love mine..........1997

Light, well balanced, LOVE the P90's..........it was a "bucket list" guitar for me and it's quickly become a favorite.

It cleans up very nicely, but doesn't get "too" clean, which I love. Never sounds "sterile". When you roll on the dirt, it screams but retains great string defination.

NHTom

Yup I totally agree.. I think the DC is the best guitar shape ever (which me and Searcy have been saying for years :)).... Slim fast neck light and sounds amazing [thumbup]

When my guitar playing friends come over they nearly always grab that guitar first.

I got the faded one and yours is lovely by the way... Gibson should make some more like that.

Beautifull guitars! [thumbup]

Love mine here

LP Special DC 2015

That is lovely and they do look good those 2015s.. But its a different guitar to the older ones, the neck, that's the real deal breaker for me.. don't like the extra wide neck at all... Also if you look at where the neck joins the body on the older version compared to yours you get slightly better upper fret access on the older models..

Still.. great guitars [thumbup]

That is lovely and they do look good those 2015s.. But its a different guitar to the older ones, the neck, that's the real deal breaker for me.. don't like the extra wide neck at all... Also if you look at where the neck joins the body on the older version compared to yours you get slightly better upper fret access on the older models..

Still.. great guitars [thumbup]

Yes, thanks, you're right!

Great guitars

Hello From Paris, France [thumbup]

Love mine..........1997

101_0812_zpsbpitpo6q.jpg

NHTom

Love yours, too [biggrin]

It seems impossible to fine one, damn.

Yes, I waited a long time to get this one. I actually had another guitar on layaway at the time and swapped it out for this one. My local shop takes great care of me and they had no issue taking one off layaway and putting that one on.

They rarely show up around here, and when they do, they don't last long.

I want a TV Yellow one, but that seems like a real needle in a haystack. Love Love Love this one though.

NHTom

I really wanted a DC faded (preferably Cherry) and met a buddy to go guitar shopping. I had heard that Eastwood made a passable copy of a double cut so I found an Eastwood dealer nearby and we made the trip. Unfortunately (or so we thought at the time) the store didn't open until noon (and it was only 10), but my buddy knew of another music store nearby. We decided to take a ride over and see what they had. What they had was a 2003 Gibson LP Special DC in Faded Cherry!!! The guy had taken it in trade the day before and had just put it put on the floor. It had a couple semi-busted tuners and it wasn't pristine, but it just plain reeked of mojo! For the heck of it we ran over to the Eastwood dealership to compare and the Eastwood, while a glossier finish and actually costing more (especially adding the cost of a case) made it clear which was the better guitar. I ran back to the first guy and $500 later I had me a new (used) guitar. I replaced the tuners and bought a case for it (the gig-bag was ripped pretty badly)and it’s awesome! Actually, out of 20 guitars I own, this is the only one I've ever bought used - and it’s one of my favorites. Here it is with its LP brethren...

10856573_10205430839990965_4703710990613435066_o.jpg

well.. I didn't go for the Gibson after all.. I went for a Hamer Special USA model 1993.. and I'm really pleased with it (I have a pg ordered as it just isn't complete IMO) $_86.JPG

Those USA Hamer's are nice guitars. I'd grab that one in a heartbeat!!

NHTom

Archived