Gibson Brands Forums

TC Electronics Polytune Clip

BluesKing777

I have had the TC Electronics Polytune tuner pedal since they came out a few years back, but it only works by plugging in an electrified guitar with guitar lead.

I also have the Polytune app on my iPhone for acoustic guitar tuning.

So when I saw this new clip Poly, well....it had to be mine! A needful thing for Polytune fans.......... [biggrin]

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune-clip/

BluesKing777.

While not approaching the queasy outoftunedness of the Strat on Dylan's

, I do subscribe to the "Tune it or Die" adage. But playing in tune has always been the least of my problems...

The Polytune video is very entertaining on several levels, though (Hey- is that the guy from the band "Spröckets"?). Liked the video; the part with many tuners all reading the same reminded me of the old "how many tuners can you clip on your headstock" test.

I have used it a few times now and it is COOL!

It WAS a lot to live up to after that ad video, and after having little Snarkies you could immediately think...'So what?' I have used a few Snarkles now and they vary a lot - one gave up and another has a clip like a mouse trap. The first I had lasted forever on the battery, but since that croaked the others have gone through lots of batteries. Their readings vary a little bit, too.

I use to have a Boss TU12 that could plug or mic that I liked a lot.

But I remember when I first saw those blue toys and thinking that would never be going on my beautiful guitar - undignified looking things, but we just get USED to this stuff after a while. But for one, the Polytune Clip works very accurately and two, it does look quite dignified hanging on the HD or the L-0 or the CEO...and three, I often tune down a step or 2 and this can be set.

Another classy TC Electronics gadget... almost miss the electric guitar and the excuse to have some more.

BluesKing777.

Update from a few days later - this thing is remarkable!

My previous Polytune pedal style is also out of date now as well.

I double checked with the new Clip on the headstock and the older pedal in the plug of a acoustic/electric - new one tunes way closer in the strobe mode - so close the tuner machines aren't that accurate.

Wow and wow, I am a bit shocked...anyways, we are in tune if nothing else!

BluesKing777.

That is interesting. I had a Snark but it stopped working reliably after several months, something must have been loose inside because it would work if I shook it sometimes (changing batteries didn't help).

Have been using Peterson StroboClip for the past few years and it is nice. But a couple months ago the plastic broke on the clip where the shaft goes through. I did a jury-rig repair that is holding up so far. But when it gives out, I might try one of these polytunes. Think I paid $70 for the Peterson at Guitar Center but they now list it for $80. The Polytune is only $50 which is quite a difference, I wonder if it is really as accurate as the Peterson?

This thingo is GOLD and the others are junk, so don't even compare them!

There was a few threads about it in the AGF if you want to do a search..not a lot of sense but you know... [mellow]

A little warning for purchasers - this puppy will be going everywhere your guitar goes, so....keep the nice little box it comes in to store it, and keep the removeable plastic strip that is on the screen for deliveries - it will need a cover like the iPhones otherwise and they aren't invented yet! They are a little expensive to have one in each guitar case.....but I think a spare might be needed.

Edit - Oh, oh, I am going to lose it, like that trail of Snarkies I have left everywhere, so it needs a tracking device and a locking device and ....all the stuff for needful things, maybe a roadie style key chain holder with long chain....kidding I think.

No affiliation. Wish I had shares but.

Effin beam me up, Scottie, the flying car must be coming just when you gave up on it and the nice silver outfit you were promised! [tongue]

BluesKing777.

i wonder if it'd eat up batteries?

Probably, though they promise NO.

It is so nice that it will probably self-destruct in 10 secs and I dreamed it.

I hope they bring out the Black Light pedal version in a clip - order 2 of each thanks!

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune-2-blacklight/

BluesKing777.

It took me half the video to figure out what it even did. Now I'm sold! And then I saw the price and though, eh, my Snark is okay. :)

I've been playing since 1999 and only got a tuner last year (!). It's not a necessity, but holy moly, it sure makes it easier to tune when you're with people and they won't shut up for 2 seconds while you try to tune your B string. There's nothing more life-alteringly frustrating than 4 people tuning four different strings at the same time.

What interests me about this one is that you just strum, and it tells you which strings are in tune and which aren't, and the ones that aren't, it tells you if they're sharp or flat. That strikes me as useful for just about any situation.

But dat price. Will keep it on my wishlist though.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no battery indicator so you just have to wait until the thing dies. I've had mine for a few weeks now. It is very accurate and bright. I can't seem to get the polyphonic feature to work. I tune each string individually until they are dead on. Then if I strum all strings, it still shows just the D and G strings flat. I check them individually and they are fine. It isn't just my unit either. I've had a couple customers comment that the polytune feature doesn't seem to work at all. Funny since that is what it is named for!

There is no battery indicator so you just have to wait until the thing dies. I've had mine for a few weeks now. It is very accurate and bright. I can't seem to get the polyphonic feature to work. I tune each string individually until they are dead on. Then if I strum all strings, it still shows just the D and G strings flat. I check them individually and they are fine. It isn't just my unit either. I've had a couple customers comment that the polytune feature doesn't seem to work at all. Funny since that is what it is named for!

I have noticed this, too. I'm happy with it though. Tunes more accurately than my Snark by a bit..

I use the strobe setting chromatically - very quick, very accurate, very bright! Way more accurate than my older Polytune pedal, which is like the 'needle' setting.

I usually tune down so don't use the 'poly' - doesn't work, eh?

BluesKing777.

By design, the Polytune mode is supposed to only work in standard tuning. But in practice, I can't get the polytune to work at all. I use the chromatic strobe setting as well. The only tuner that seems more accurate is my Peterson StroboPlus HD. But at 3"x4"x1' it doesn't clip on the headstock quite so well. ;)

I've had a bunch of tuners, including a Snark. The Polytune is more accurate. It'll get you about as close to spot-on as guitars will get. Is it worth the extra money? If you're sensitive enough to want to "sweeten" your tuning (very slightly flatted G and/or B ), on some guitars it's probably worth it; the screen is so accurate and so vivid that you can hit the sweet spot visually, once you get used to it. And if you find the ability to strum through the open strings and get a read on all of them at once useful, that's worth the price of admission as well. I've only had mine for a few weeks, so I can't speak to longevity, but it is well constructed, with a clip, and protection for your guitar on that clip, that makes the Snark look like a toy. It was worth every dollar to me.

P

1442798848[/url]' post='1695541']

I've had a bunch of tuners, including a Snark. The Polytune is more accurate. It'll get you about as close to spot-on as guitars will get. Is it worth the extra money? If you're sensitive enough to want to "sweeten" your tuning (very slightly flatted G and/or B ), on some guitars it's probably worth it; the screen is so accurate and so vivid that you can hit the sweet spot visually, once you get used to it. And if you find the ability to strum through the open strings and get a read on all of them at once useful, that's worth the price of admission as well. I've only had mine for a few weeks, so I can't speak to longevity, but it is well constructed, with a clip, and protection for your guitar on that clip, that makes the Snark look like a toy. It was worth every dollar to me.

P

Well that's it , taken the plunge and been unfaithful to my Snark and ordered the Polytune Clip . Also ordered the Bodyrez to make sure that the tuner works properly msp_biggrin.gif

Well that's it , taken the plunge and been unfaithful to my Snark and ordered the Polytune Clip . Also ordered the Bodyrez to make sure that the tuner works properly msp_biggrin.gif

Nice one!

Look out...

I bought the tuner and then saw the play acoustic gadget on the TC website, while looking at the manual for the tuner....and bought that, and now have bought 2 more soundhole pickups to plug my previously un-pickupped guitars in.....

The slippery slope.

BluesKing777.

1442966555[/url]' post='1696049']

Nice one!

Look out...

I bought the tuner and then saw the play acoustic gadget on the TC website, while looking at the manual for the tuner....and bought that, and now have bought 2 more soundhole pickups to plug my previously un-pickupped guitars in.....

The slippery slope.

BluesKing777.

Oh yes the slope is well used believe me !!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update....

I use the strobe mode, bright, quick and extremely accurate. It is all I have used since I bought it. I changed the battery a few weeks after I first got the tuner, not sure if it came with one or that was mine, but that one didn't go far.

The 2nd battery is still kicking as I type, about 3 months? There you go, naysayers.

BluesKing777.

Archived